• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things You Do When You Was Younger

Flint

i used to go around topless for ages, untill i started going breast

i played football and basketball with my brothers and always played boys games

i was called a tomboy

hated makeup dresses and skirts

during puberty i just tried to fit in and pretended i didnt mind my body

periods r my idea of hell!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flint

• MaryEllen

• princecharmless

Guest shounenbat

Luckily, I'm fairly adrogynous (if an adrogynous FTM makes sense), but I remember that I hated dresses. And all through elementary school, my mom never let me pick out my own clothes so I was forced to wear sickeningly girly stuff, complete with a bow in my hair that I would rip off the minute I got to my room. When all the boys' voices began cracking, I would pray that I would join them. Same story for when their facial hair began to grow in.

I also remember that disgusting feeling one gets when their breasts start to come in. I didn't know that doctors actually remove the things (I was very sheltered and had no idea what a transsexual was (I thought it was another word for hermaphrodite)), and I used to wonder what their faces would look like if I were to walk in to an office and ask that my breasts be removed.

I suppose that's it. I'm extremely introverted, so I never much "acted out" my feelings of displeasure at all. I have a tendency to bottle things up and suffer silently through it.

i always hated to dress girly. i remember one time i something i saw transgender ppl on tv for like a research story on some news channel type thingy and tired to tell my mom thats how i felt. i was only about 7 at the time. i always liked guy-ish things like anime and sword fights...i played that at recess. i also never really had a female friend until about 4th grade. lol

Guest My_Genesis
i also never really had a female friend until about 4th grade. lol

my whole friend situation is probably kinda unusual. When i was really little...like in pre-school, almost all of my friends were male..my mom used to say i had a bunch of "little boyfriends" :rolleyes:

Once I got into elementary school, most of my friends were girls, I guess I drifted away from guys because in a way hanging around guys made me feel isolated. Now my friends are pretty mixed gender-wise. I'm more comfortable around guys, but I have more female "aquaintances" that I'm not as close to..and sometimes feel more awkward around. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vinn Romano

When i was a child, i always play with robots and action figures with my cousin (he's a boy)... And i enjoyed it... I used to always wear t-shirt and shorts when at home, but I didn't mind wearing such a pretty dress... As long as they didn't make me itchy... I've ever played Barbie dolls but after that I played with my action figures again.. Hahaha... When I was 7, i always stuff my underwear with a pen (hahaha), pretended that if I had penis... I think it's a sign... I was easy to get mad, I used to always been in a fight... I've ever hit my cousin with plastic swords or with my hand (I punched him, I mean)... I used to always try to not crying.. I wanna be tough... Crying = Girls = Weak... That's my opinion... :D

I like drawing.... When I was a child, I always drew myself as a boy... :)

WOW. I try not to think about my childhood but that hit the spot. I got caught trying to pee standing up when I was 7. I used to tell people I was a boy. I hated anything that had to do with being a girl EVERYTHING. I went to private school where I had to wear a dress, and then I went to an all girls highschool. That was not cool, going through puberty and all. I would get in trouble on pupose so I would get thrown out. It worked and then I went to a co-ed public school. A little bit better there 'cause there was a mtf going to the same school so I found myself drawn to her and we would hangout after school. that was 1988. I came out in 1995. go figure. thanx for the topic.

Guest Vinn Romano
I got caught trying to pee standing up when I was 7.

Wow.. Same like me... I've ever tried to pee standing up when I was in elementary school... It was difficult for the first time, but finally I enjoy it... :D

Since that time, I've been always pee standing... But just at home, I can't do it in the public area cuz I still enter female's toilet, and I've still got no binders and pack-and-pee... So sad... :(

• 3 months later...
Guest Raging Shadow

I went to an all girls school till I was 7. So I didn't know there was a difference. What I do remeber is that I hated frilly clothes, always played father or brother, liked baseball caps, and whenever I got a doll, I'd destroy it. I asked for a scotter for christmas and I got a...pink one. I never rode it once. I new there was something...off. I just didn't know what until I made my first male friend when I was 9 and saw the Opera episode on transgender kids. I felt like I knew what was different.

I know i keep adding little bits to my child hood story in here, thats because i don't always remember and then i remember somethhing. I only just remembered about this post.

Alot of my friends on the street were male, one of my friends having the advantage of the male body liked to relieve himself without going into his house to the toilet. I learnt in my young age that boys, men seemed to enjoy doing this so i have it a try, standing up like most boys did however i failed miserably. So from then on i used to just hide behind a tree squirt some bottled water to make it look like i had a pee lol and then. This satisfied me for a while because i felt i was putting up an illusion that i was just like every other boy as long as they didn't see what i was really doing and to have others in that illusion that i was just a normal boy like them really boosted my confidence. Untill one day i got caught out. So i told a story of how it was a special device to help me urinate because when i was a baby something happened to my penis which made it hard to urinate without getting it all over my trousers. I said it was some medical condition and this was just adevice to help me stand up and pee like anormal little boy.....They believed me for a while.....If they remember me saying that now...God knows what they're thinking. :P:D I'd occasionally run inside and make an excuse like that i had to have my medication when i didn't and i'd fill up the little bottle again with water and sometimes orange juice (i was trying to make itlook like realistic wee for when it poured out) i used a little bottle that i could often just put in my pockets :P Ah the things i went through just to try and be like the other boys :rolleyes:

Most of my friends on the streed didn't seem to question my gender even though when my mum called me in for tea and things she called a female name they didn't seem to question it at all.

Guest Crossroads

I guess I just ignored things I didn't like. When my period started, I put pads on and wore them all the time so I wouldn't have to worry about tracking my period.

My sister says that I fussed a lot about dresses, but not because I was a little boy. I'd say other things, like "There's a draft down there!" And I was a tomboy. My career goal for a good 13 years was to be a major league baseball player. I didn't want to be the "first female" or anything, and I would shoot you down with a glare if you said that. I just wanted to do it! Also, almost every career I chose was male dominated.

Since it was just my sister and I, I think I mostly just tried to be like her. I don't remember very much about when I was younger, but this is about it. I think some if not many of us tried to fit our birth gender at some point. Unfortunately, my parents are crazy and won't talk to me about it either.

It's sad to not know...lol

• 1 year later...
Guest PaintedWingss

I did the thing with peeing standing up and stuffing tissues down my pants when I was a kid (around 5-ish). I remember being into video games and 'boy movies' and action figures, preferring to play with my two younger brothers than going shopping with my mom when she wanted to drag me along. I never really liked the Disney princesses (until now where I'm getting a newfound respect for them) and hated Barbies, selling all of them when I was around five, and I always asked for things like legos and hot wheels for my birthday and Christmas. And then came the phase between 4th - 7th grade where I was the girliest thing in the world, but wasn't really happy with who I was. I was trying to hard to be the girl I'm not (I mean, when I'm female, I'm girly, but in the cute, nerdy way, not the girly, preppy way), and it was during the beginning of puberty for me. I did spend 8th grade until the end of my senior year of high school trying to figure out my sexuality and my gender identity, so I was a mess during that time. It wasn't until getting involved with the new GSA at my school and I started dating my current girlfriend (I had dated guys before) that I started to see who I was and feel comfortable with it.

So, the signs were there all throughout my life. :D

Guest Gauvain

I always played sports and stuff with all the guys at my school and I hated everything girly. I remember tearing the heads off of barbies and throwing them at my brother, lol. I always wished that I was born a boy and thought that living as a girl would be really boring and horrible. When I found out about what would happen to my body through puberty, I started crying and denying that it would happen to me, and for some reason, my parents thought that was cute... >.> For some reason I also asked my dad to cut off all my hair in 2nd grade, and my parents were both pretty freaked out, but they did it anyway. There were a lot of random things like that I did when I was younger...

Guest someone or other

I remember refusing to identify as a girl when I was little, and I went by a boy's name for a while, too. I hated girl toys and mostly played with boys, and I'm pretty sure I also used to try to pee standing up but never quite got it. I tried to get my hair cut really short when I was 4 but my parents didn't understand I meant boy short so it got cut wrong. I was also always super sensitive to gendered language (ie: when someone said fireman instead of firefighter), it made me feel way more alienated than it would other females. I was never that upset about being a female when I was a little kid because my dad used to jokingly tell stories about "when he was a little girl," so I think I kind of subconsciously figured that I wouldn't be stuck as a girl forever. I was lucky in that my parents never insisted that I "act like a girl," they never made me wear skirts or dresses or act feminine at all. There were definitely signs all throughout my childhood, but I think I had it pretty easy compared to a lot of folks.

Guest Marshall

I remember when I first started school in kindergarten I had tried using the guy's bathroom, but the teachers kept telling me I had to use the girl's bathroom, which really confused me. Didn't really like playing with girls, but when I had to, I'd normally play the dad or brother (because the girls were really into playing house. And when I played with the guys we'd normally play superheros and I was always Batman. XD And I'd always play video games with my brother. But, unfortunately when puberty rolled around, I remember being utterly shocked when I started developing breasts. And it got even worse when I got my first period because I started crying. Now that I think about it, I actually remember trying to flush the barbies people kept giving me down the toilet. And I ended up clogging the toilet with barbies. :blink:

Guest Stephen-Renae

Hm, let's see....I'd always hang out with the guys. I had 1 friend that was female (best friend) and all the others were guys. That ended in about 3rd grade when it became uncool to be smart. Anywho....In kintergarden, I remember being on the playground and thinking "Hm, I wonder why I'm not like the other girls....I like trucks like boys, but I own a bunch of barbies ((which a always refused the existence of ))....I don't like super heores, like boys, do...except batman. I like batman." xD I love remembering that conclusion. I like batman. That explains everything~ So, I figured I was a tomboy. Because, a tomboy isn't a girl. And it's not a boy, exactly, either. It's like a boy stuffed in a girl's body, but they also like a -few- girlish things. :rolleyes:

I always got mad because I was too small to play guys' sports in the backyard. I never did get football, though. Not until I played...powderpuff...*ugh*

When I was like 12, I was in a unisex soccer league. I loved it. Then, when I moved up the next year, it was an all-girls' league. I hated it, because nobody expected it to be as rough as the boys-and-girls games. And when the other team DID get rough, I didn't want to roughhouse back, because...they were girls (sexist, of course, but still, by then I'd heard 'guys aren't supposed to hit girls' so much... lol )

I never tried peeing standing up. I always thought it'd be nasty, because I knew I didn't pee like a guy - I knew it would get all over my legs and be gross. But I did watch my dad skin an entire deer without flinching, and then proudly claim "I'm gonna shoot a moose before daddy does!" when I was four :lol:

Guest some ftm guy

i had short hair since age 4, wore my older brothers clothes (hand me downs) more often than my own, i liked his toys just as much as the (some) girls toys that i liked, while playing pretend roles i was always the guy, i tried to pee standing up a few times, i went around shirtless once.

Guest ranse

I remember introducing myself to the new neighbors as if I were a boy when I was about 3. I insisted my name was Gary and that I was a boy. Around the same time my oldest brother walked into the bathroom and caught me trying to pee standing up; I told him I was like him and our dad and should pee like them.

I insisted on boys' clothes, even the underwear -- looking back, my mother must have been very understanding because she bought them and we're talking about 1974 or so. Even my dad dealt with it okay. He thought it was cute or something that I insisted on having a jean jacket like his and the same kind of knit cap and flannel shirts. He's always called me by boy names half the time of his own compulsion and invention. He called me "Henry" all the time and I can remember people who hadn't known us long asking about his "son Henry."

I always had short hair and didn't mind when people told my mom that I was a cute boy. I must have passed well as a kid because every time we had a substitute teacher they were confused because I answered to a girl's name and looked like all the boys in class.

I always played with boys' toys, assumed a male identity in role playing, etc.

Also did the shirtless thing.

Then puberty hit and I felt so betrayed by my body. I had told one of my male friends that I wouldn't be growing breasts, but I'd have a penis. Yeah, well, that didn't work out quite how I'd planned. To add insult to injury, not only did I get breasts ... I got biggish ones very early. Grrrrrrr.

While I don't remeber most of my child hood, I think I am different than most people here.

I never insisted I was a boy, because others told me I was a girl and I just belived them. even though it didn't feel right. I played with girl dolls, because who was I to complain. (luckily I grew up with brothers so every now and then I got to play with their toys when I was playing with my brothers). I've never been horribly fond of skirts, but I wore them because I was told to. I started to like girls, so I was told I was a lesbian. I belived them, but the term still never fit right. I didn't start thinking i was trans until about a year and a half ago when I grew a spine and my own mind. That is when i decided that everything I had been told was wrong and I needed to make myself who I always should have been. (I'm just glad i did so early in my life, so I didn't waste too much time)

-Vincent

Guest ashermohawk

-when i was around 3, my dad would cook in the kitchen, and it would get hot, so he'd take off his shirt. i would too. all was cool back then.

-i remembered playing penises with one of my friends who was a girl. we found these tubes of yarn, and would wave them around between our legs and pretend we were boys.

-i realy only played with stuffed animals, and they would go out on outside adventures. i would build houses and forts for them out of bark and moss and sticks outside, and see if they could survive being out there the night.

-i loved mud... still do...

-i never realy played pretend, it was boring to me. i was more of a kickball kinda guy.

-when i started growing boobs i thought i had breast cancer cuz it hurt... when people noticed i was wearing a bra, i would get realy mad.(i didnt start really wearing them till 6th grade)

-i wore girls clothes all the time, didnt have a say in what i would wear. when forced to wear dresses/dress up in a girly way, i always got depressed and my parents wondered why i didnt like to be called pretty.

-on the last day of a summer camp i went to, i drew a fake mustache and beard on my face and told everyone my name was Stan Congresso for the day

-when i got my period for the first time, i was realy mad at myself. i think i started getting depressed after that...

-i was a very angry person from age 8 to 14. i knew there was something different about me, but i didnt know what. i pushed all my friends away, and was practicaly frendless coming into high school

-my best friend through all elementary school was this boy named "D". we loved dinosaurs and scoobydoo. we watched jerassic park together and played legos. people always thought we "liked" each other...

yeah.... this was long...