• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

9 Reasons To Make Sure You Bind Appropriately And Not Over years and years

Guest Evan_J

Guest Evan_J

It has been common when the topic of binding is first introduced to a transgendered male (or sometimes to an androgynous person should they be interested in the process) to ask or be asked "what possible dangers are there in doing this. "

By and large the main problems that many of us have cited or cautioned against have been not to bind too tightly or for more than roughly 9 hours consecutively because of the risk of pain, constricted breathing , and the posibility of developing pneumonia because of the constriction.

Until now.

Very recently, (two nights ago) I had the opportunity to hear (and most of these were first hand from fellas who unfortunately developed these problems) a much more detailed and extensive list of possible dangers . I'm sorry , but when I know about it you know about it. Esp if I think it may help any of you not have these problems. Some of these were rather serious. And I would feel wrong to hear it and not share it.

These primarily result from improper binding (ace bandages, neophrene back braces, other items not intended to compress the ribs and lungs) and long term binding (not just number of consecutive hours, but binding over the course of years).

These perhaps should ESPECIALLY be taken into consideration by teen transmen who's bones are not finished developing and are not completely hardened. If your mother took a pair of scissors to your binder, she might have had a reason.....

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• KieranD

• Ravin

• KC

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CharlieRose

Well, that makes me really glad I give my body time to breathe every once in a while. Since it's been hot I only wear it like every other day. But still. *goes to look for a job to continue saving up for chest surgery*

Guest StrandedOutThere

Whoa... That's some serious stuff. I'm glad you've got this pinned. These risks definitely need to be more well known than they are. Wow.

Guest Raging Shadow

even underworks binder do that!?!?! *gulp* i'm 13 if i get surgery at 25, i'll have been binding for 12 YEARS! am i doomed to a heart attack or something?!?!?

Guest Zack L

...Oh this sucks. >_<

I bind constantly, and will have been binding at least 4+ years by the time I get surgery. The thing about the guy who worse Underworks worries me. D=

It has been common when the topic of binding is first introduced to a transgendered male (or sometimes to an androgynous person should they be interested in the process) to ask or be asked "what possible dangers are there in doing this. "

By and large the main problems that many of us have cited or cautioned against have been not to bind too tightly or for more than roughly 9 hours consecutively because of the risk of pain, constricted breathing , and the posibility of developing pneumonia because of the constriction.

Until now.

Very recently, (two nights ago) I had the opportunity to hear (and most of these were first hand from fellas who unfortunately developed these problems) a much more detailed and extensive list of possible dangers . I'm sorry , but when I know about it you know about it. Esp if I think it may help any of you not have these problems. Some of these were rather serious. And I would feel wrong to hear it and not share it.

These primarily result from improper binding (ace bandages, neophrene back braces, other items not intended to compress the ribs and lungs) and long term binding (not just number of consecutive hours, but binding over the course of years).

These perhaps should ESPECIALLY be taken into consideration by teen transmen who's bones are not finished developing and are not completely hardened. If your mother took a pair of scissors to your binder, she might have had a reason.....

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

Jeesh thats crazy! I don't do it often. Not doing it right now because some back problems from years ago are flaring up again, i figured it wouldn't really be helpful.

Guest _Michael

Nice to be aware of the risks I guess, but even if there was a 50% chance I could have a heart attack tomorrow from binding, I'd still do it just as much and just as tight as I do it now. This just gives me more motivation to save up for surgery even faster.

On a side note, the main issue I noticed with binding (and this is perhaps one that is especially prelavent in the muggy south) is that I get bad bad rashes in the creases underneath my moobs - like rashes to the point where the skin is coming off and it burns. I had to treat it with a steroid cream, and since then I've been using goldbond medicated baby powder (the kind that is mostly cornstarch) and haven't had a problem since then. So if anyone else suffers from that problem, try the powder to see if it works.

Guest Evan_J
even underworks binder do that!?!?! *gulp* i'm 13 if i get surgery at 25, i'll have been binding for 12 YEARS! am i doomed to a heart attack or something?!?!?
...Oh this sucks. >_<

I bind constantly, and will have been binding at least 4+ years by the time I get surgery. The thing about the guy who worse Underworks worries me. D=

See that actually was the one that blew the top of my brain off the most. Yes, proper , underworks, double front , binders. And he has chest deformity to the point they're trying to figure out if and which way the best way is to try to see if they can unmeld his ribs from his lungs and how to expand then away from the lungs so the lungs and other organs can function properly. And its worth stressing it if you're younger cuz he was fully grown and a teen doesn't even have the advantage of havin bones as hardened to begin with. To an extent maybe (I'm no doctor) you would be more able to be secure if you were 35 or 40 or something for bone hardness, but what if you are slight of build? even then it doesn't mean "think this is a 12 year deal cuz the heart attacks and stuff are not impressesd.

If you have body discomfort to that extent -that you need a binder "constantly"- you really should be prioritizing saving for your surgery.

Guest StrandedOutThere
On a side note, the main issue I noticed with binding (and this is perhaps one that is especially prelavent in the muggy south) is that I get bad bad rashes in the creases underneath my moobs - like rashes to the point where the skin is coming off and it burns. I had to treat it with a steroid cream, and since then I've been using goldbond medicated baby powder (the kind that is mostly cornstarch) and haven't had a problem since then. So if anyone else suffers from that problem, try the powder to see if it works.

OMG, the rash... Yeah. Being in the sticky humidity aggravates that big time. I'd nearly forgotten about that horror. FYI, you have to be careful with long-term use of steroid creams. There are some icky side effects that can happen over time.

I found that I could keep the rashes under control if I rotated between bras with different cuts. Binding didn't work for me because I had VERY dense breast tissue. I used sports bras to control things until I could get surgery. The thing that made my skin break out was that I'd sweat and then the sweat would stay there all day. I'm not sure what your binder is made out of, but if it is something that holds moisture then that's probably contributing. Now dealing with it, that's another issue. I wonder if wearing an Under Armour type shirt under the binder would help or make it worse.

Guest Zabrak

I went to my doctor today...I have to go twice a month - just another one of those loop holes. Anyway, I told her about some chest pain. She wanted to examine me(physical) and touched some real painful spots. She found out what it was...I thought it was nothing but just random pains not to be worried about. It was some long name I can't remember at this moment but my cartilage around my moobs have become damaged and inflamed. It happens when the chest area receives severe trama.

She said she wouldn't tell me not to bind, but it was the binding that did it, and gave me the whole speech about my chest being small enough no one would notice if I didn't bind. I gotta take pills now, though, and put ice on it. :huh:

Guest Evan_J
She said she wouldn't tell me not to bind, but it was the binding that did it, and gave me the whole speech about my chest being small enough no one would notice if I didn't bind. I gotta take pills now, though, and put ice on it. :huh:

:( See, now I'm hurt. Cuz this is somebody I care about.

You're 20 bro. And yes a grown man. But bones don't finish getting hard till at least your mid 20's . And you are not a "hefty" dude. If it were up to me? I would say let go of the binding. If you were older, bulkier, and had mammoth moobs ....honestly , cuz it's you and Ilove you I'd likely say the same thing....but then you'd have a leg to pretend to stand on.

For everybody else? Personally? I only did it if I knew I was headin somewhere and only was gonna have on a "thin" (one layer) top garment. At home though? Hell no. And you guys seriously need to think about resting your bodies when you have opportunities. I've read peeps talk about sleepin in em and puttin two on at a time and all this garbage and the other man (besides Zabrak it sounds like :() who developed a condition did that. Two at a time sometimes cuz of how flat he could get. Loooong hours. In the past, there was someone who talked -on this very forum- about how tight he bound and that he started having some kind of discharge.....

Seriously think about what you're doing and how.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Binding is a tough issue because for a lot of people it is more than just a social thing. It's a body imagine issue. Packing is another example of this. I pretty much only pack when I'm heading somewhere and will need my STP, but I know of some people who are never without theirs.

If binding is so horrible, I wonder if bras are also bad but to a lesser degree.

Zabrak, that is really upsetting that you are having issues after so short a time. Careful, little bro! I hope you get to have surgery soon!

Guest CharlieRose

Yeah, if you're smaller chested, it actually is kind of easy to get away with not binding. Black guy's shirts that are a size too big rule! Also, I actually bought a binder that's a size bigger than the underworks site says I should get. (Like, with the measurements it says I should have an extra small but I went one size up and got a small) It works just fine.

Guest NicolaiAE

Man, thanks for pinning this, otherwise, I'd probably not have seen it.

I can't believe an Underworks binder caused deformity :( That's pretty scary...

-Nicolai

Guest Zabrak

@Evan: I know, but even though I can get away without binding in some clothing, I don't ever feel 100% confident going outside without mine on. I rest mine at home all the time...I don't know. I'll be careful. I guess I'll just bind for school/work(when I get work).

@Strand: Because of the medical system changing this year(I got a email back from the surgeon I choose with details about getting coverage for it), I might have to wait two years if I want to get it covered. Oh well, I can live with binding for two years. I don't have a choice if thats the case. Zabrak no have 7, 000$.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Zab, that truly is a bummer. What is the specific change in the rules? Loopholes...maybe there is one somewhere... You'll have to PM me with details.

Guest Evan_J
If binding is so horrible, I wonder if bras are also bad but to a lesser degree.
Actually, one of the guys did say somthing about a study showing problems arrising from bras with regard to this one:

cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

As you said, to a lesser degree, but still on file.

Zabrak no have 7, 000$.

Actually I do hear you bro. Me no had moola neither :(

And believe, I am no "not understanding " brother. You did read the thing I wrote about a jacket in August, yes? So I know how upsetting it is. Heck and a size I STILL don't repeat to people. So I hear you.

Guest StrandedOutThere
@Strand: Ok, once I'm home I'll PM you the stuff(I'm at my grams now lolz I'm a busy guy today). Thanks for offering strand!

We will search for loopholes, little bro.

You might be able to establish $7000 worth of credit before 2 years is up. If you are responsible with credit, it is a good thing. ;)

Guest Zabrak

$7000 worth of credit? I don't even know what you mean. Sorry I'm a "life noob"....I wont take over this thread - I'll PM you. Thanks so much again, big bro.

Guest Crossroads

Kyle: Have you looked at CareCredit? A friend of mine used it for his top surgery. I've been meaning to look into it for my upcoming surgery.

I've been binding about 5 years now, even when I identified as female. I had stopped dancing and Angie told me that I either had to wear a bra (to keep from bouncing) or bind. So I chose binding, and have been doing it ever since. But we were always pretty careful. If it started to hurt, take it off. Let my body breathe (I was using neoprene binders meant for weight loss).

Now, though, I have to wear a binder when I go out because I'm living full-time as male. Angie made a binder for me that worked great for a long time, and I've recently gotten two from T-Kingdom. I find that I wear them way more than I used to, mostly because they are so hard to take off and put on. But again, we should all be aware of the risks before we do something to damage our bodies.

I feel this is the same as taking Testosterone. Yes, there ARE "warnings" and "side effects" on your prescription of Testosterone, including higher risk for heart disease. Does that stop many of us from taking it? No. But you always need to be AWARE so that you can catch problems before they become serious!

Thanks for pinning this, Evan! Knowledge is power!

Also, I actually bought a binder that's a size bigger than the underworks site says I should get. (Like, with the measurements it says I should have an extra small but I went one size up and got a small) It works just fine.

Word. I did this too and it doesn't feel as awfully compressive as the other one does, and actually may work better. It just feels like a tight shirt rather than powerful compression.

I also use some medical tape to keep them to the sides though, which is probably not good for my skin at all. I don't know how well the tape will work once I've been on T for awhile though, with body hair and everything.

Guest StrandedOutThere
I don't know how well the tape will work once I've been on T for awhile though, with body hair and everything.

Tape + body hair = much pain. I had the misfortune of having hair become attached to medical tape after my top surgery. Tears... the big, manly, involuntary kind. I ended up having to extricate myself with scissors.

Guest Zabrak
Kyle: Have you looked at CareCredit? A friend of mine used it for his top surgery. I've been meaning to look into it for my upcoming surgery.

CareCredit? I'll see if its something offered in Canada...I've been in a lot of pain from my chest lately - even with pain killers? It feels like they've made it worse? I'm feeling ill from the pills, too, I think. I thought they where suppose to help but all I feel like doing is puking. lol

Guest WalnutObezyana

Woah. That's some serious stuff there. I want to have surgery, and I'm getting close to adulthood, so hopefully, I won't have to go through 10 years more of Underworks... Yeeeesh.

I'll make sure to pass this on to any new transguys I meet in the future. Thanks for the post!