• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Love Handles And Hrt

Guest NatalieRene

Guest NatalieRene

What is the typical amount of time on HRT for the typical male love handles to go away or at least be reduced when on HRT? Is there a particular exercise that helps to reduce them?

I hate mine so much, they make my entire torso look almost as wide as my chest where my rib cage is. If they would just go away I think I would have a decent hourglass shape, maybe not perfect but better then what I have right now. The site of my love handles makes me cringe and want to gag, I want them gone.

Hun, try not to get caught up obsessing about what you don't find physically pleasing about yourself. It is vanity, My Dear---in the sense of the word of being a useless waste of one's time. Keep your focus instead on your assets you like as a woman---the features you feel are sexy and feminine. This is what you will naturally project to others . The other thing of course is to dress in a manner which flatters your natural figure and coloring. Fact is only one person is going to see you naked and he/she may find adorable what you despise about yourself. My own experience is that there are a lot of men out there who are hot for a Rubenesque woman. :D Make an inventory of the features you like: start with your toes and work up. Then focus on these! And do spend time studying the art and skill of hair and make-up and color--they can make you look stunning---with love handles!! Hope this helps, Darling.

ricka

Guest AshleyRF
Hun, try not to get caught up obsessing about what you don't find physically pleasing about yourself. It is vanity, My Dear---in the sense of the word of being a useless waste of one's time. Keep your focus instead on your assets you like as a woman---the features you feel are sexy and feminine. This is what you will naturally project to others . The other thing of course is to dress in a manner which flatters your natural figure and coloring. Fact is only one person is going to see you naked and he/she may find adorable what you despise about yourself. My own experience is that there are a lot of men out there who are hot for a Rubenesque woman. :D Make an inventory of the features you like: start with your toes and work up. Then focus on these! And do spend time studying the art and skill of hair and make-up and color--they can make you look stunning---with love handles!! Hope this helps, Darling.

ricka

Perfectly said. Bravo!

Guest NatalieRene

ricka

Yeah I see what you're saying, I should be thankful for what I have. I know I should be thankful that I am fortunate to have a slender frame and feminine sized hands and feet. I know it's not many of us that are lucky enough to be able to wear strapless and open shoulder shirts because of my narrow shoulders. Sometimes it's hard though to look past the one thing that glares at me in the face though and ruins the whole effect, especially during a particularly crummy weekend.

My hair is still growing out and currently only about a inch long at the shortest point where my hair was previously faded, but I'm going to need to trim the top and bangs while the back grows out to keep my hair from looking scruffy.

Guest AshleyRF

I spent the first 4 or 5 months after starting HRT comparing myself to all these other women out there, telling myself that I would never be as pretty as they were, or that I would never have a body like they had. I ignored all the great things I had in my life like a totally loving and accepting wife, family and network of friends. My only focus was that I would never be able to compare to those women I considered "perfect". Trust me, it was no way to be. I was unhappy and contemplated detransitioning and stopping HRT. Now, I'm going on 8 months HRT and I'm so glad I didn't stop back then. The changes that are happening to my body are amazing. I'm starting to see this metamorphosis happening slowly. My body is really starting to look fem and curvy. Will I ever have a body like a playboy model or someone of that nature? No, of course not, but neither do 95% of the GG population either, yet they are all beautiful women.

I have finally come to realize that I don't have to fit that specific mold of what a beautiful woman looks like. Beautiful women come in many shapes and sizes and body types. If I had any words of wisdom to give you, it would be to "love yourself" for what you are. Sure it's okay to want to loose some weight, or work out to shape up. Just don't let it become an obsessive thing for you.

I'm with yu on this one, Natalie. I'm shootin' to rid myself of every ounce of the blubber thereabouts. I will have another washboard stomach by the end of October!

Best of luck to you as well, Babe.

Guest Evan_J
My own experience is that there are a lot of men out there who are hot for a Rubenesque woman. :D

I gotta tell ya, she's right. I read once in .....Plato?....or was it Aristotle?......that essentially, the only reason/time men chase the "uber skinny" type female is when in actuality they are "desirous" of themselves and essentially that body type is male. It postulated that a man who truely liked "what is woman" wanted more curves and (to be blunt) "fat" in the right areas. Based on what I've seen in rl I'm inclined to agree. I think a lot of guys "profess" to dig the straight and skinny only because the media tells them they should and they worry other men will criticize them if they don't say it. But if you look at who they get turned on by (the girl they marry, give in to without intending to sexually while dating, and even commit adultry with) very oven she has one or two extra inches. Not the movie women. The real women in our real towns and at the real job.

Guest AshleyRF
I gotta tell ya, she's right. I read once in .....Plato?....or was it Aristotle?......that essentially, the only reason/time men chase the "uber skinny" type female is when in actuality they are "desirous" of themselves and essentially that body type is male. It postulated that a man who truely liked "what is woman" wanted more curves and (to be blunt) "fat" in the right areas. Based on what I've seen in rl I'm inclined to agree. I think a lot of guys "profess" to dig the straight and skinny only because the media tells them they should and they worry other men will criticize them if they don't say it. But if you look at who they get turned on by (the girl they marry, give in to without intending to sexually while dating, and even commit adultry with) very oven she has one or two extra inches. Not the movie women. The real women in our real towns and at the real job.

Is that the same thing as saying, "I like big butts and I can not lie!"? :)

I to prefer a woman with a little "extra" to her. Curves are sexy.

Guest NatalieRene
I spent the first 4 or 5 months after starting HRT comparing myself to all these other women out there, telling myself that I would never be as pretty as they were, or that I would never have a body like they had. I ignored all the great things I had in my life like a totally loving and accepting wife, family and network of friends. My only focus was that I would never be able to compare to those women I considered "perfect". Trust me, it was no way to be. I was unhappy and contemplated detransitioning and stopping HRT. Now, I'm going on 8 months HRT and I'm so glad I didn't stop back then. The changes that are happening to my body are amazing. I'm starting to see this metamorphosis happening slowly. My body is really starting to look fem and curvy. Will I ever have a body like a playboy model or someone of that nature? No, of course not, but neither do 95% of the GG population either, yet they are all beautiful women.

I have finally come to realize that I don't have to fit that specific mold of what a beautiful woman looks like. Beautiful women come in many shapes and sizes and body types. If I had any words of wisdom to give you, it would be to "love yourself" for what you are. Sure it's okay to want to loose some weight, or work out to shape up. Just don't let it become an obsessive thing for you.

You are so lucky. My love life has been a train wreck from what little I've ever had. I know I won't ever look like a model, and I'm fine with that. I just don't want to look male.

I'm with yu on this one, Natalie. I'm shootin' to rid myself of every ounce of the blubber thereabouts. I will have another washboard stomach by the end of October!

Best of luck to you as well, Babe.

I don't know about every ounce of fat. I'm not really worried about losing weight at all. It's that my stomach is as wide as my chest from the love handles and if I didn't have them I wouldn't be so straight as a board from my waist to my chest. It's the one blatantly masculine trait aside from the wrong plumbing that my body has below the neck.

Yeah but the fat I'm talking about isn't in the right area, the fat is making whatever curves I have look straight. :( See look at the attached photo, the loved handles need to go.

Guest Evan_J
Is that the same thing as saying, "I like big butts and I can not lie!"? :)

Why yes , yes it is B) (:P)

And Natalie....hmmm.....what about "fun" things that target that area. I saw this work out tape advertised mainly was directed at ladies and in it they did "crunches" and waist defining excercise by doing latin dance moves :huh: Lot of twisting and side directed crunches/muscle tensing. That sounds like (if you were up to such a thing) you could also look into a latin dance class and have the added benefit of socializing amongst the ladies. Also, if your planning on HRT, be comforted in knowing that it'll help shift stuff some ;) Ask Ashley, sounds like she might be livin proof

Guest Joanna Phipps

Being one of the older women here, I know that HRT wont do miracles. I have come to the conclusion that i will have what I am destined to get and that no power on this planet will make anything bigger than it's supposed to be or smaller than it is meant to be. I know this sounds kind of fatalistic but for me it, for now, is reality. I feel that I am always going to have that matronly look about me (at my age whats wrong with that) so I had best get used to the idea and stop trying to dream myself into a size 6 when in reality I would be happy with a 15/16.

Guest NatalieRene
Why yes , yes it is B) (:P)

And Natalie....hmmm.....what about "fun" things that target that area. I saw this work out tape advertised mainly was directed at ladies and in it they did "crunches" and waist defining excercise by doing latin dance moves :huh: Lot of twisting and side directed crunches/muscle tensing. That sounds like (if you were up to such a thing) you could also look into a latin dance class and have the added benefit of socializing amongst the ladies. Also, if your planning on HRT, be comforted in knowing that it'll help shift stuff some ;) Ask Ashley, sounds like she might be livin proof

Oh if only it was my butt and not my stomach.

Yes I'm hoping for HRT, but I was under the impression that it affects how new fat is deposited not that it actually moves around existing fat. If it moves around existing fat that would fantastic! I still have five more sessions before I have a full three months of therapy before I can even hope to get my letter for HRT. So at the earliest factoring in my therapist's previously scheduled vacation coming up next month that would put my three months in the second week of October.

I'll make the most of her vacation time by starting electrolysis to remove my facial hair during those weeks.

Latin dance sounds like a good idea, but if went as a guy I'd be the one leading the girls into the twirls and not be the one twirling. Sadly I don't think I have any chance of passing yet until the facial hair is gone because the shadow is never really gone anymore, but I'll fix that. :D

I haven't weighed in on this because I have a very big weight problem.

I just wanted to say that you have a very good attitude about working on it rather than just complaining.

The idea of fun ways to lose weight and tone up is very appealing.

Love ya,

Sally

Hi Natalie,

First of all just let me say that I think that photo of your torso looks great! I was imagining a much "larger" problem until I saw the photo. We each have an area of our body that tends to keep extra weight on it, just from genetics. That being said, I am a firm believer that your diet effects where you tend to carry weight also. Sugar/bread/alchohol will all be carried in that middle area, so you may want to look at that. Also, by eating small frequent healthy meals every 2 to 3 hours (if possible) & not eating after dinner, I'm sure that those love handles will disappear. Core exercises will strengthen all the surrounding muscles in your mid torso & a great site (free and you don't have to sign up) is: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp It is full of great exercise demonstrations that target different body areas. Good luck and have fun doing it!

Guest NatalieRene
I haven't weighed in on this because I have a very big weight problem.

I just wanted to say that you have a very good attitude about working on it rather than just complaining.

The idea of fun ways to lose weight and tone up is very appealing.

Love ya,

Sally

Yeah fun ways are the best ways. So far running and walking are not doing it for me but it's keeping the rest of me in shape and I do enjoy people watching while zig zagging around DC during lunch.

Hi Natalie,

First of all just let me say that I think that photo of your torso looks great! I was imagining a much "larger" problem until I saw the photo. We each have an area of our body that tends to keep extra weight on it, just from genetics. That being said, I am a firm believer that your diet effects where you tend to carry weight also. Sugar/bread/alchohol will all be carried in that middle area, so you may want to look at that. Also, by eating small frequent healthy meals every 2 to 3 hours (if possible) & not eating after dinner, I'm sure that those love handles will disappear. Core exercises will strengthen all the surrounding muscles in your mid torso & a great site (free and you don't have to sign up) is: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness.asp It is full of great exercise demonstrations that target different body areas. Good luck and have fun doing it!

I don't drink much if any alcohol but I am firmly addicted to mountain dew. I've cut back on it a lot and switched to diet but I still drink two cans a day. My ultimate goal is to cut it altogether. I've been drinking more orange juice in place of it because it has the same basic taste to it and is way better for me.

Thanks for the links on the exercises, I'll give them a try too. :D

Guest *Elizabeth Anne*

The hated YMMV

BUT - 8 months for me. I gained a few pounds but I couldn't find them although the scale said I had them. They are on my chest and down south... NOT in my stomach as the would have been before. That's how it happens. You will slowly lose your 'gut' as you diet, and it will not come back like it was before.

Lizzy

Yeah fun ways are the best ways. So far running and walking are not doing it for me but it's keeping the rest of me in shape and I do enjoy people watching while zig zagging around DC during lunch.

I don't drink much if any alcohol but I am firmly addicted to mountain dew. I've cut back on it a lot and switched to diet but I still drink two cans a day. My ultimate goal is to cut it altogether. I've been drinking more orange juice in place of it because it has the same basic taste to it and is way better for me.

Thanks for the links on the exercises, I'll give them a try too. :D

I'm just trying to help here, so please don't think I'm being a pain! The juice is not a good alternative to the pop, because it is loaded with sugar and calories---if you want the benefits of an orange--eat an orange don't drink the juice---the only thing you should be drinking (in place of the pop) is water--lots of it--a lot of the time when we think we are hungry, we are really thirsty, so try it and you'll be surprised. It works wonders for keeping everyone at their ideal weight.

Guest NatalieRene
I'm just trying to help here, so please don't think I'm being a pain! The juice is not a good alternative to the pop, because it is loaded with sugar and calories---if you want the benefits of an orange--eat an orange don't drink the juice---the only thing you should be drinking (in place of the pop) is water--lots of it--a lot of the time when we think we are hungry, we are really thirsty, so try it and you'll be surprised. It works wonders for keeping everyone at their ideal weight.

Oh no I would not dream of thinking you where nagging me after I asked for tips on how to stay healthy. You've been a tremendous help. :D

I had no idea orange juice had that much sugar. Thats what I get for not reading the nutrition labels. Wow thanks for the tip! We have tons of water that we get in those large 3 gallon containers. I can start bringing myself a bottle and drink that.

Again's right. Example, I love apple juice but the stuff is just loaded with sugar (fat producing carbs) @ 110 calories per 8 oz. glass, which is just BS!!!

But hey, what can I do but ***** about it, which does no good whatsoever, or so I've discovered. But yeah, drink, drink and drink water.

Guest NatalieRene

No problem I don't much care for Red Bull. :D

I've been doing the exercises over the last few days linked here and have just been drinking water. Well see how things go.