• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Facial Hair Is A' Fallin Out. After 2nd Laser Treatment. Woo Hoo!

Guest Anna_SF

Guest Anna_SF

Just wanted to report/celebrate.

I had my second laser 8 days ago and I was kinda bummed out over the weekend because all the hairs and the 'invisible' dark shadow that usually appears in pictures

was still there. But this morning I tweezed a few and they fell off my face like bits of ash! The blonde ones are firmly entrenched but they told me that was the case from the get go. I abandoned electrolysis because of the pain and she advised doing laser on my upper limit because of all the dark hair and after I saw the number of dark hairs she was plucking I decided to do laser first. The cost is $1400 for six sessions of the entire face - but they threw in an extra because the first was done too low. nice people. The place is always empty and they could care less my reasons for doing it. Each session is about 5 weeks apart and I could totally feel the second layer of growth at three weeks - my face itched like crazy.

My lip/face hasn't softened due to the blonde hairs which is a bummer. My other concern is the laser is only damaging the follicles, not destroying them and this will all return in a year or two. But for now I'm really happy.

I've started using blonde mascara [$5 at sephora - but it's being discontinued and they usually have it in the drawer under the display]. I built up my confidence with the clear stuff. Next stop - eyeliner. I also got an eyebrow razor and comb/trimmer at Walgreen'ss. I was using the sideburn trimmer on my electric razor but I ended up shaving off too much and looking like the guy in Pink Floyd's The Wall! Yikes! It's way better and easier to use the little scissors. I need to start using the mascara/pencil on my brows to help define my face but that is more of an 'at home' project, since I tend to overdo it. You can't go from no eyebrows to Brooke Shields in one week.

I have been practicing my walking. At first my legs were so sore because those muscles were never used but it's getting much better. My issue will be slowing down. When people see my silouette [walking] I can tell I am giving off confusing clues, but since I'm still in man mode, they seem a little perplexed.

I'm trying to smile more w/o looking creepy - it's not easy at first. But then I think of how pretty I will look when I'm full-time and I relax and smile normally. I also treated myself to a subscription to Vogue that comes with a free gift - a Vogue Bag.

Have a Wonderful Day everyone!

Anna

PS - if you need to have a good laugh check out these weird costumes. It's PG-13 and work safe.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15629_30-mo...n-costumes.html

- Thanks to the ladies who suggested youtube - That's what clued me in.

• Admin

Anna, it sounds like you're making great progress, girl. Way to go.

You're comment about practicing walking made me smile. Sometimes at work in an

empty corridor I'll practice my girl walk. I almost got caught once or twice! lol

Got to be careful in the work place.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Anna, Sweetheart!

You are doing wonderful!

Getting all of your things taken care of...hair, walk, smile....

Now, that's a thinking girl!

Not waiting to have it all sneak up on you all at once and getting panicky!

Getting after some of it now...getting it underway!

Keep after it, Honey.....don't worry...you're smile won't be "Creepy" ..I'm sure that it will be lovely!

Huggs to you!

Donna Jean

Guest rachael1

I know what you mean about no eyebrows.

I once went to a party years ago where some lunatic started shaving peoples eyebrows completely off after falling asleep.

It's amazing how much sweat your brows catch. :D

Rachael

• Admin
It's amazing how much sweat your brows catch. :D

Rachael

Ewwwwwwww!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kayliegh

Cogratulations! :)

I've had three electrolysis sessions and am going formy 1st laser session on October 1st.

I have very little hair on the sides of my face and already can see a difference!

You go girl!

Kayleigh

• 4 weeks later...

Dear All,

Wow I am new to this site and the web but I am impressed that there is so much help available in the forums, every stage of development. I can feel the love I think I will enjoy being here, true care and concern is shown with dignity. Anna_SF so pleased that you are finding solutions and sharing.

Many thanks

lien

Guest NatalieRene

Thats great news, but be careful with the tweezing not to pull out hairs that are still alive or else you will extend the number of sessions added.

Guest NatalieRene
Cool.

but I wonder, what made you choose Laser above Electrolysis? since the latter is permanent?

Laser done properly is permanent too. Laser is also faster in the right conditions. I have had one session so far and I have lost a significant amount of facial hair from one of the three growth cycles. It probably would have taken a full day of electrolysis to get as much of the hair removed from my face as what laser did in 45 minutes. :D

Guest rachael1
Laser done properly is permanent too. Laser is also faster in the right conditions. I have had one session so far and I have lost a significant amount of facial hair from one of the three growth cycles. It probably would have taken a full day of electrolysis to get as much of the hair removed from my face as what laser did in 45 minutes. :D

I have booked in a consult on the 20th for laser treatment, I wanted one sooner but they were booked out.

I am getting pretty excited and am counting down the days.

Rachael

• 1 month later...
Guest Anna_SF
*****Update*****

Hi

Thought I'd give a quick update to the original post so you don't have to scroll down. Laser #3 barely worked at all. After 3 weeks a few hairs (60 or so) flaked off but nothing too great. Then 2 weeks before Halloween my beard grew in something fierce and very dark [which is good for laser]. I moved up my laser treatment to 11/3 and showed the technician the significant growth and she used a finer laser 10mm, which hurt a lot less. Alas my face is a little inflamed and blotchy but getting better. For some reason it takes a week or two before the hairs start dropping out so I'll keep you posted. I also stopped into Sephora [is this for a drag show? Uh, No, I'm transitioning.] and got some really strong concealer and powder.

I took advantage of the Halloween week and went out 'out' [wig + padded bra, clothes, etc] I certainly didn't pass but I didn't expect to. it was probably too early but I'm dying to be out. i thought if I forced myself I would suddenly talk and act like the woman I want to be. Instead I was overly self-conscious and awkward. The world didn't change because I wanted it to, so now I'm trying to accept life on life's terms and have been working on the voice. I won't plan on going out 'out' until the face stuff is done. I still wear the women's jeans, clogs, camisole, pink tops, earrings, minor mascara, it's more subtle but it works for me. My next step is to wear a VS cotton unlined demi bra. It's hidden enough but also gives me confidence. I'm still trying to find my own style as a woman - it can be very daunting and expensive because I have one idea in my head how I will look and then realize it doesn't go with anything I own. But, like life, we each have to make those mistakes on our own. I search this and other sites for the magic password/trick but it's all experience. I still have trouble acting male around women 'trying to get attention, talking loud, etc.' Some people have been getting gender and sex mixed up as it relates to my transition. I feel like it's just fixing a minor glitch.

As I'm sure many people have said before - when it all comes down to it, the whole coming out process is about self acceptance. I didn't want to believe it.

Best,

Anna

Just wanted to report/celebrate.

I had my second laser 8 days ago and I was kinda bummed out over the weekend because all the hairs and the 'invisible' dark shadow that usually appears in pictures

was still there. But this morning I tweezed a few and they fell off my face like bits of ash! The blonde ones are firmly entrenched but they told me that was the case from the get go. I abandoned electrolysis because of the pain and she advised doing laser on my upper limit because of all the dark hair and after I saw the number of dark hairs she was plucking I decided to do laser first. The cost is $1400 for six sessions of the entire face - but they threw in an extra because the first was done too low. nice people. The place is always empty and they could care less my reasons for doing it. Each session is about 5 weeks apart and I could totally feel the second layer of growth at three weeks - my face itched like crazy.

My lip/face hasn't softened due to the blonde hairs which is a bummer. My other concern is the laser is only damaging the follicles, not destroying them and this will all return in a year or two. But for now I'm really happy.

I've started using blonde mascara [$5 at sephora - but it's being discontinued and they usually have it in the drawer under the display]. I built up my confidence with the clear stuff. Next stop - eyeliner. I also got an eyebrow razor and comb/trimmer at Walgreen'ss. I was using the sideburn trimmer on my electric razor but I ended up shaving off too much and looking like the guy in Pink Floyd's The Wall! Yikes! It's way better and easier to use the little scissors. I need to start using the mascara/pencil on my brows to help define my face but that is more of an 'at home' project, since I tend to overdo it. You can't go from no eyebrows to Brooke Shields in one week.

I have been practicing my walking. At first my legs were so sore because those muscles were never used but it's getting much better. My issue will be slowing down. When people see my silouette [walking] I can tell I am giving off confusing clues, but since I'm still in man mode, they seem a little perplexed.

I'm trying to smile more w/o looking creepy - it's not easy at first. But then I think of how pretty I will look when I'm full-time and I relax and smile normally. I also treated myself to a subscription to Vogue that comes with a free gift - a Vogue Bag.

Have a Wonderful Day everyone!

Anna

PS - if you need to have a good laugh check out these weird costumes. It's PG-13 and work safe.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15629_30-mo...n-costumes.html

- Thanks to the ladies who suggested youtube - That's what clued me in.

Hi Anna,

Loved your post, theres a few of us here at the same stage as you re "going out" etc. Ive a lot to learn re makeup but tried

my best a couple of times and took the plunge , out for a walk, not too many funny looks but i will be more confident when my hair

is right and I am better with makeup. I cant wait as a few women at my peer group are out and I cant get out quickly enough re

social events etc. . You have a good day too, Luv, Viv.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anna_SF

After a treatment on 11/3 the dark hairs started falling off my face after 1 week. After two weeks they seems to come out by the root after I scraped gently with a fingernail. My face currently does not have that blue beard shadow which I can't seem to disguise with concealer. I have been out for about 3 weeks now and the only issue so far has been the bathroom. Generally speaking I'd prefer to get 'busted' in the men's room rather than being 'caught' in the Ladies room. I'm looking into getting a letter (?) from a therapist that says it's legal to use the ladies. I have found not wearing sunglasses has cut down the long stares cos' I just stare right back! I have increased my voice practice but am still scared to use it. I am going to TG Rememberance Day on Friday night and hope to meet some other Ladies. I'm moving towards carrying a purse full-time and have been researching dresses/skirts.

Wish Me Luck!

Jen

I also discovered the Nordstom's Rack! It's a dangerous place because I have to remember that I need to create my own look not buy the clothes I 'think' will look good on me. Hopefully those days are over.

After a treatment on 11/3 the dark hairs started falling off my face after 1 week. After two weeks they seems to come out by the root after I scraped gently with a fingernail. My face currently does not have that blue beard shadow which I can't seem to disguise with concealer. I have been out for about 3 weeks now and the only issue so far has been the bathroom. Generally speaking I'd prefer to get 'busted' in the men's room rather than being 'caught' in the Ladies room. I'm looking into getting a letter (?) from a therapist that says it's legal to use the ladies. I have found not wearing sunglasses has cut down the long stares cos' I just stare right back! I have increased my voice practice but am still scared to use it. I am going to TG Rememberance Day on Friday night and hope to meet some other Ladies. I'm moving towards carrying a purse full-time and have been researching dresses/skirts.

Wish Me Luck!

Jen

I also discovered the Nordstom's Rack! It's a dangerous place because I have to remember that I need to create my own look not buy the clothes I 'think' will look good on me. Hopefully those days are over.

Hi Anna,

Its just fab your keeping us all up to speed re laser , thanks . I finish my laser next Jan, then its on to electrolysis . Laser is getting rid of one third of my beard

(dark brown) the rest is gray/ white, the finish wont come soon enough. About your "shadow" , bit of luck thats gone forever, as the rest of the hair is similar to mine

you will not see that &*?/(()) again. Getting busted ??if it had to happen to me Id prefer the woman"s as I may be able to outrun em, :D :D . You know Anna, it must

be a joy to just get some lovely clothes on , make yourself up and just go, you know , just go anywhere, I CANT WAIT !!!. Im practicing my voice in the car, later

next year I will get e few pro lessons if I need to, hope not. If you have time let me know how your electrolysis is going please, I will do same if you like. Luv, viv. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Anna_SF

well, I did laser #7 2 weeks ago and the dark hairs are just falling out again. I have a 7 week laser break to see if the dark hairs come back. Some dark hair growth cycles seem to be stronger than others. I've got 6-7 2hr electrolysis appointments in the next few months. I prefer electro since I walk out with the hairs gone but my face looks like I was slapped about 500 times! I like to be able to see the results from week to week. Laser took about 2-3 weeks for the dark hairs to start falling out. I thought they would be lasered off, but that's not the case. The next wave of blond hairs has come in on my upper lip and they are much finer than the heavy, thick ones,which took 2 needle jabs and a lot of heat. Electro on your upper lip and under your nose is beyond the threshold of pain, it won't be as bad on the newer, thinner hairs, thank God. I'm a little unsure if the laser was a good investment, as many seem to be sold as 'permanent hair reduction' which isn't removal, so hopefully I won't have to worry about the dark hairs in 2-3 years. Today, we are clearing my chin and sides of my mouth and then next week more upper lip/chest/nipples. It feels good to take action although I usually cry during the sessions - not sob, but tears just stream down my face. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing how smooth my face will be! The most difficult part of electro is allowing the hair to grow out for 4-5 days before the appointment - the electrologist requires some hair to grab onto. I've been out for 4 months now so I'm used to the stares of the nosey parkers of the world. I was 'out' for 3 months before I restarted electro and I suspect some folks thought I was giving up since I had started growing my facial hair. And my facial hair itches, especially the thick ones so I cannot wait for today's appointment.

is there anyone still on this board who has finished laser 3+ years ago and can speak to regrowth/lasting effects?

Au Revoir

See you on the other side of pain.... T-minus 2 hours and counting...

Anna

• 2 weeks later...
Guest emma'sdilemma

Hey Anna,

I liked your post. Just wondering, where did you get your laser done? I'm in the bay area looking for a good laser place. What kind of laser did they use? What did they set it to? Any other info you could give me would be great.

Thanks,

Emma

Guest Anna_SF

I'm sad to report the 2nd go-around on my upper lip on thinner hairs was just as painful as the coarse ones. I had hoped it would be less painful. 900 needle insertions. The bummer is that the next growth started and the hairs are thinner but denser. I hope this isn't the case for my whole face but I see it's going to take longer than I hoped. Alas, the hairs are blond but it still creates that Homer Simpson muzzle. I can see the layer of dark hairs starting to form - i have laser number 7 in early April. I can't tell if they are dark hairs or just the dark root/papilla of the new blond growth. Facial Hair blows but I bought some eye cream and night cream - I learned that around the eyes is very dry and I should not use toner since it can dry it out. My bathroom is starting to look like a salon! Sun is out and I'm going to rock my denim mini-skirt and tank top - there's no shame in my game. I will wear sunscreen though.

Take care,

Anna

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anna_SF

Quick Update (April 17, 2010):

The dark hairs came in real strong in late march. I had laser #7 or 8. 2 weeks later the hairs duly came out. I now will have 3 more appts, 4 weeks apart until August. If you are doing laser may I suggest you go in every 4 weeks. I was pushing out to 6 or 7 weeks because I wanted to see the growth and have laser when I could actually see the dark hairs. But I think I could have had it every four weeks because you could see that blue shadow under my makeup & skin. The hair is sparser but not thinner. Yes there is a product called melamine which adds pigment to the blond hairs for laser but you have to apply 20 plus times a day. It's fda approved but I think the science may be real but the process seems a little strenuous for real world applications. My laser place said it wasn't something they suggest.

Had 2 hours of electrolysis on the sides of my chin/mouth and it hurt more but I think that is because I only put numbing cream on those areas and the pain sort of spreads during the shock part of the treatment. Next time I will numb the whole area. I'm having my upper lip done next week - which is by far the most painful and I look like a red faced walrus for 3 days as well but the blond hairs are much sparser and thinner. I have a combination of 50% white & blond hairs which the laser cannot see and 50% dark which the laser can see, so it's an interesting test. The electrologist only does the blond/white hairs. She is also doing my chest, areola and line below the belly button. I'm going to my first pool party in a few weeks and am eying a cute bikini & wrap from VS.

I am trying epilation on my legs/arms and have posted about that experience.

Stay Well,

Anna

Guest Michelle Hayden

Your not supposed to get lasered every 6 days, lol! Obviously the place your going doesnt know about laser or hair removal. It usually takes about a wk or two for the hairs to start coming out and can last up to 6wks. I make my appointment every 8wks. Every 6 days is unheard of. They also have to be using the correct setting. Just might be that they want to only make $ off you.

Guest Anna_SF

Hi Ladies, -- update --

Well it's been three weeks and the dark hairs are coming in again. I have laser in 10 days. They do seem sparser - looks like pepper is on my face. I have electrolysis on Friday where we are doing the upper lip and lower lip. The new blond hairs seem very coarse and may have been dormant. It's pretty sparse. I now have three kinds of hairs on my face. Heavy textured blond, medium texture black and very thin [not quite fine] blond. So something is happening. It's nowhere near I would like based on the expense but I was told up front it was slow and expensive. I am growing it out for an extra day, so we can clear the upper lip

Best,

Anna