• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Do You Keep Yourselves Committed To Diet And Exercise?

Guest Ami James

I am having a hardest time to commit myself to exercise and diet. I want to know how do you keep yourselves committed to diet and exercise when it comes to losing weight and try to stay fix.

Guest Donna Jean

Honey....

It's like any other goal you set for yourself.....

Some people have an easier time and some have one heck of a time!

Many people have coping habits that help....

For instance....I chew lots of sugarless gum to satisfy my munching desire...

I keep plenty of rice cakes on hand...if you eat a couple and then drink some water, it fills you up....

Also I keep sugarless Popsicles on hand for that "Sweet" moment....not a calorie there!

The real key is to change your eating habits for life!

Otherwise you yo-yo up and down and that's not healthy!

Good luck, Hon......

HUGGS...

Dee Jay

Guest ~Brenda~

Sweetie,

For diet, try to make most of your meals sensible. It is OK to on your diet from time to time, but try to make most meals low fat, low sodium, low carb, low calorie :) Once you do this for a while, you become used to it and you don't even think about your diet.

For exercise, pick a time of the day that works for you and make it part of your daily routine. A work out does not have to be a long session 10 - 15 minutes per day is just fine. I workout immediately when I get home from work. I don't turn on the TV or start to make dinner. I get home, workout for 15 minutes, and then continue with my evening. Now it is just habitual for me. I don't even think about it.

Hope this helps,

Brenda

Guest ChloëC

This works for me, and I would guess probably not for a lot of other people, but here goes.

I've lost a little under 25 lbs in the past 12 months. Lots of things contributed to the weight gain which was about 30 lbs over 4 or 5 years, mostly snacking when I should not have - mid-morning, mid-afternoon, late night. Not a good plan.

But my lifestyle changed so that I had more time to realize what I was doing.

And, I came to simple but difficult to follow conclusion that there are only two reasonable ways to lose weight (I refuse surgical possibilites - stomach stapling, liposuction -, or chemically as in pills, etc, as these are just a band-aid not a cure). You must either reduce your food intake to be below what you normally expend through daily activities, or you must increase your daily activity to exceed your intake (or of course some combination).

I'm basically lazy, so option 2 just wasn't going to work for me. So, I just forced myself to eat less. I still ate, but I cut out most chips, candy, late night sandwiches, and an occasional meal. Almost cold turkey. I still eat bad snacks but way less than before.

And here is what I was fighting - about 2-4 years ago, I noticed (along with the other changes that occur in something /not/ called male-menopause ;) ) that my desire to eat, famished or full, it didn't matter, had dramatically increased, so much so it was on the verge of becoming an obsession. I recognized that and am still fighting it, winning mostly now, but still the war is never over, just the latest battle.

Chloë

Guest erikka2046

Honey,

This is not an easy thing but is possible. To be on diet and exercise on and off to lose weight is not difficult, but maintain a lifestyle to keep your desire weight is the most challenging part.

What I do to lose weight is to eat a bit less than the daily calorie consumption. Stay away from high carb, junk food, soda.....etc. I still eat food I enjoy but lesser portion, cook in a different way or use a different dressing. I found out cutting out the food I crave will come back very quickly and gain even more weight. So I just eat them less and still feel happy. A well balanced diet is most important but I just have to play with the portions to reduce the intake. Also, some supplmentary vitamins seems cover something I missed.

Exercises is very important too. Even I eat less than my daily calorie consumption, exercise is the only way to lose the existing weight in my body. Three times of aerobic exericses every week works well for me quite well. Plus I practice Pilates 30 minutes everyday at home also helps a lot to bulid up my core muscles and tone up my body shape.

The mind set for the goal is quite important and I have to reinforce to me all the time not to be lazy. Its not easy to start with, but once I get used to that, it become a habit, hope this help.

Luv

Erikka

Guest Elizabeth K

Fun way to say this: NO WHITE FOOD!

I am not talking soul food, I am talking carbohydrates - grin.

NEVER eat ANYTHING with sugar in it! White - get it?

Well everything has sugar so limit it to food and drink with NO MORE than 7g per serving. DON'T CHEAT - and a listing of a teaspoon full as a serving is not acceptable.

NO potatoes

NO rice

NO coconut

Milk? an exception

Chicken meat and fish - an exception if unbreaded

This is extremely easy to remember but extremely hard to follow - auggggggggh

But you WILL NOT gain weight on this diet - DON'T CHEAT now - not a nibble! Not even the skin on the potatoes. If it is white - avoid it!

You should lose about 1/2 to 1 pound a week after you stablize.

Guest Jess_W

one thing i've done for the past, oh, six years, is made sure i had a job that made me work out, weather it was sea world, walmart, or my current job, i was at least standing up all day, if not moving around heavy things once and a while (or currently wresteling with giant labradors and over hyperactive wymeriners (did i spell that right?))

i'm not going to say i'm slim, but i'm below average for most males and i know had i not had these jobs that made me work out, i probably wouldn't be so

also since my son was born i've taken to walking him every morning i have him and its decent out, it not also does good for wait watching, just a short 30 minute cruise, but it gives you more energy during th day.

Guest Rebecca Quentin

Does anyone have any suggestions for super-tasty low-carb meals? I've started (on Monday) on a low-carb diet, but I've been so used to eating meals with rice, potatoes, bread rolls etc, that I have to completely re-think my meal plans. I've been eating lots of fish with salad, but I'm concerned that if I don't eat enough to satisfy my appetite, then I'll fall off the diet wagon.

I like spicy foods a lot, so I'm wondering if things like chille-con-carne without the rice (and made with with fresh minced meat, low-fat content) and similar foods might make me happier on my diet. Currently, and only for the first few weeks, I'm on a non-carb, calorie-limited meal replacement diet program for breakfast & lunch, leaving dinner to have a balanced meal. Don't worry, I'm a biologist so have made very sure that I'm on an entirely safe diet before embarking on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I'm taking steps to just be a little more practical while eating and working towards just cutting out foods that are bad. Now for me there are some things that are just set in stone. Like diet soda. I have to have either diet coke or diet pepsi. If I don't have caffiene I'm a major pain to deal with. Some will argue that you just have to go cold turkey on caffiene for a few days to get it out of your system....no thanks. That's one thing I cannot (and will not) cut out.

but...

I have made a notable effort to stop eating french fries, or at least dramatically reduce how many I eat. I used to eat all the french fries I was given with a large value meal. Now I just eat a few (the few that fall to the bottom of the bag and a little more) but the majority of the fries that are given to me with my meal go in the trash. I feel bad though because the people at BK or McD's make me wait 2 minutes for fresh fries and I tried to tell them 'just give me what you have because I'm not going to eat them all anyway' but they won't listen!

I have also cut out eating at a buffet. Well, the main menu side of the buffet. I'll hit up the soup and salad bar if it comes with the meal but most places that offer a nightly buffet (or you can order off the menu) I'll browse it and go "ew". Really though when your choices are "fried this" "fried that" "fried something" and "fried whateverthatis" it makes ordering off the menu way more appealing.

And in hitting up the salad bar it is also important to make better choices at said salad bar. Eat what you like but within reason and if you normally would do 3 scoops of cheese, cut back to 2, and then eventually 1. To shave off calories don't eliminate what you like, just don't eat as much of it. I love cheese and before 3 scoops of cheese on the salad was a law, but I'm finding I can get by with 1 scoop and still be equally happy. (and by 1 I mean a regular scoop not an extra large heaping scoop to make up for the 2 I'm cutting out). Also if you don't like something, don't eat it just because it's supposed to be better for you. That will make you resent your diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweetie, i have a lot of problem to to take control of my self-control too. This is why I don't do diets.

But I can keep a few basic rules, that I tought myself to keep it most of the time. It does not require a lot of commitment for me, but I don't know how much effort would it be for you:

What I do:

NO SOFTDRINKS - drink water instead or drink homemade fruit juice. One cup of regular Coke contains more than 30 sugarcube amount of sugar! When I go to fast food restaurants, I am not shy to ask "water in a paper cup" or a "bottle of water". Minimal amount of sugar in your coffee or tea. Before I put 3-4 sugar into my tea. Now I put only one, and I don't put cream (more than 20% sugar). But when I make a fruit tea, I don't even need sugar.

NO POTATO CHIPS, NO CHOCOLATE

NO GREASY FOODS - I know it is hard when the chicken drums or sliced pork meat desirably looking at me from the bottom of the frying pan or when my eyes starts to beg for Large frenchfries with Double B**-M**burger in a reknown restaurant... ;)

NO DINNER after 6:30pm, especially no munching into chips, peanuts, chocolate, jam and whatever I find in the kitchen... oh, temptations... The "no dinner after 6:30pm" especially helps to lose weight, and it will makes me sleep better too. Then, in the morning, i am crazy hungry and I have a BIG breakfast, thats Okey. Eat a little bit of fruits like apple, peach or grapes. Better to munch fruits than sandwich or chips.

I hope this helps a little...

HUGGS,

Lily

• 6 months later...
Guest Miss_Construe

For me, committing to a healthy lifestyle is a daily decision. Every day I have to remind myself that today I am good enough to take care of myself and to do something good for myself. I also remind myself that if I do 'cheat' to focus on my progress and not beat myself up. It is a step at a time and a day at a time. I also try to remember that some days are better than others and that there is always tomorrow.

Also, I try to find as many veggie based dishes as I can make/order/buy (and they are wonderful :wub: )

After something like six weeks or six months (seems like a long time now, but it will fly by) being good to yourself will be more habit, and once I saw my initial results I was hooked.

I also found that having a healthy living buddy really helped me. Maybe we could sticky a 'Healthy living' thread in here or something ;p

I really hope you the best for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barton

I use the food and fitness planner at webmd.com for help planning my diet (link). I find having it all laid out helps me keep track of my calorie intake. It'll calculate the number of calories you burn by just existing, then give you number below that which can allow you to lose one to two pounds a week. The meal planner might take a minute to figure out (at least it did for me), but it'll show the nutritional facts for meals you plan (keeping track of the amount of calories, fat, sugar, fiber, ect). Also, having your meals planned a head of time helps prevent those 'I don't know what I want/what to cook so I'll just order some take out/snack away' moments.

And if your meal plan for the day goes over your recommended calorie limit, there's an exercise calculator. So you can look up various exercises and see how many calories you can burn based on how long you do them. If there are exercises you don't like, find something else you can do, because it you're not enjoying yourself even a little bit, it'll be harder to keep up the routine. I used to try things like sit ups and walking around the neighborhood, but those things bored me to tears so I could never keep it up. So I invested in a DDR set (i know, i know. super geek). Its a game I like, so I can play it for hours. But I'm off the couch and am usually covered in sweat by the time I'm done.

But overall, just eat sensibly. Limit the amount of processed foods you eat, cook your own meals as often as possible. If there's a junk/snack food that you absolutely love (chocolate, soda, ect) don't swear it off forever. Constantly denying your craving for it will eventually lead to it exploding in your face and going on a craving fueled eating spree. So instead, delegate those things to special treats to have every once and while, and keep the portions small.

If its possible, replace your plates and bowls with smaller ones. The same amount of food will look like much more on a smaller plate, making you think you're eating more than you actually are.

Guest NatashaJade

Ami, it's really hard. There are lots of diets out there and lots of exercise programs and all the ones everyone has written about are good, but it's not about being on a diet. It's about changing the way you eat and exercise. You have to change your mindset. Committing and sticking? Oh, my. That is the hard one because, let's face it, it is easier to eat yummy food and not exercise. Much easier.

Exercise can be fun, though. There are yummy foods which are good for you. It takes a little more work for both, but they are there.

So commitment? That's really about you, dear. I lost a lot of weight last year and then stopped for a bit, but now I am recommitted to it because I want and need to lose weight. When a want and a need are the same, you must act. It is for your health, happiness and well-being. You will feel better about you. Food does not make you feel better. Exercise does. We forget that and get confused and think that food makes us feel good and exercise makes us sore. Sore from exercise is good. Food just is, and most is not that good.

It's a mantra that you have to repeat to yourself until you believe it. You have to convince yourself this is true and make it a habit, the same way eating and not exercising is a habit. We have bad habits that we need to change to good ones. When I quit smoking a decade ago, I committed to changing my habits that were smoking related. Food is more difficult because you have to eat. But you have to commit to eating less and eating better. It's the only way. And you have to do it forever. Your body wants to be overweight because it thinks that fat is a good thing for winter survival. You need to convince your body that being thinner is healthier. Hard thing to do.

No easy answers, Ami. This is a hard battle, but it is worth it. Don't go on a diet. Change the way you eat. Eat less and eat better and commit to always doing that and you will lose weight and feel better.

We're in this together, dear. I want to lose another 70-80 pounds (I've lost 65 already). It's hard, but we can do it.

luv

Gin

Guest Hoslers_wife

I like my way the best but then again don't we all? lol. When I go grocery shopping there are certain things I don't allow in the house. I don't buy cakes, cookies, ice cream, chips, CRAP. When Nick wants something like that he tells me and I make it from scratch so i know what is in it. I make all of our meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner monday-Friday from scratch) One my work days M-F I have a routine. Get up at 6 Eat breakfast hit the Gym go to work. I plan all of my meals (that helps avoiding emergency trips to fast food cuz you forgot a lunch lol) ALSWAYS have snacks. In the car, in my locker at work ect. I am never hungry. Letting yourself get hungry is opening the door for you to gorge. Saturday and Sunday I don't work out, unless I'm bored and feel like it. And I also can eat anything I want during the weekend. You need to give yourself at least one day to eat anything you would like so your not ALWAYS tempted to cheat.

Well, looking at it like that it sounds odd but it works for me and were both super healthy sooo i dunno.

Guest Donna Jean

I try to look at food as sustanance and not a fun thing...

It's also a change of lifestyle...dieting only yo-yo's you up and down...

For REAL weight loss, you need to change your life/life style!

I completely re-vamped my eating....

I only have one "sit down" meal a week....Sunday night....

Fruit for breakfast, mid morning snack.....

Then a very small lunch and if you find yourself still hungry have a cup of chicken or beef broth...that fills you up with hardly calories...

Supper is a nice salad!

I went from 203 to 138 and kept it off for 5 years...

Since I started HRT I've gained back 8 lbs....But, of course, I now have things that I didn't have before!

Good luck!

Donna Jean

Guest ohhlaala

Id suggest that as well as all the practical advice you have been given, try some motivation tricks. Stick a picture on your fridge that you are striving to reach, could be something from a magazine or a photo of a weight you are trying to achieve. That way whenever you are tempted to snack you will be reminded why you dont want to cheat.

Pick a regular exercise you enjoy. There is no point killing yourself in a kick boxing class once a week that you dread. Introduce something that you enjoy like walking a dog in the countryside, swimming, cycling etc. Try to make it part of your day.

With meals eat complex carbohydrates like wholegrain bread, oats, brown rice etc as they release energy slowly so you should feel fuller for longer. Porridge (oats) is great for breakfast :)

Drink loads of water before you eat and if you are tempted to snack a top tip is to brush your teeth, this can take away the craving.

above all though motivation, keep yourself reminded why your doing it and give yourself treats when you reach milestones! It gives you something to aim for.

Good luck :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Veggy Guy

Don't give yourself a choice. Think about your goal, and what you need to do to achieve it; going to the gym means getting the body and feelings you want? Then get the heck over there, at least 4 or 5 days a week. But really the point is to always be active, and a gym membership may not be possible or even what you want, and that's fine :) However you can get up and outta bed or off the couch, whether that be walking or bike riding or whatever else you can manage, go do it.

What else... Set realistic goals. You don't want to be telling yourself to do something you know your body can't handle just yet. And you also don't want to attempt huge lifestyle changes all at once and expect everything to go smoothly. That makes for a lot of unnecessary disappointment. You have nothing to prove. Do what you can, and you'll keep moving forward at your own pace.

Lastly, "No pain no gain" is utter crap. Anyone who says such a thing doesn't know how to properly exercise. Yes, you should feel exhausted after a good workout session, but you won't be doing yourself any favors by lifting 120 pounds when you can only lift about half as much :P

Good luck in your endeavors, and be well :)

Ami,

Do not set your goals so high that you give up if you do not reach them quickly, set smaller goals at a time, say lose 10 pounds, eat smaller portions, complex carbs for breakfast, oats, whole wheat bread, complex carbs stay in your system longer than white bread and cerials with sugar and you will not get hungry as fast, have more for lunch, whole wheat pasta for instance, for dinner more protein than carbs that will keep your metabolism going through the night, if you do not exercise much, start with walking a short distance, increase the time when you feel ready.

I have a goal, it is to get down to 175 to 180 pounds by next may so i can have my surgery, at the start of 2010 i weighed 245 pounds, today i weigh 205, a drop of 40 pounds, believe me if i can do it you can too.

Paula