• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why There Are Less Girl Gamers!

Guest Emily H

Guest Emily H

I think I figured it out! At least, from a problem I'm having,

Games are expensive.

So are CLOTHES.

I have to spend money on one, then all my money for the other is gone!

~Andrea

Guest Robin Winter

Games are expensive.

So are CLOTHES.

~Andrea

*Laughs*

You know, you just might be right! At least Runescape is only 10.00 a month :D

Guest Emily H
*Laughs*

You know, you just might be right! At least Runescape is only 10.00 a month :D

:o Girl I think you are getting ripped off, I'm only paying 5 bucks a month!

~Andrea

Guest Donna Jean

~Andrea

I admire a girl that keeps an eye on her money....

But, oh my....*Games---* ......*Clothes*---- What to do?

Honey...I like you! You're a lot of fun!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Shane_82

See this is why gamestop is awesome.. discounted used games.. sign up for the edge card get an additional 10% off ^_^

But then again... I'm a guy and I will put off food shopping for a game I really want :D

~ Shane

You go girlfriend! I totally agree.

Right thing, right time! Although... there's always a right time for both of those things! Oh goodness, what to do? What to do? Such a dilemma. :D

Guest NatalieRene

Games are expensive.

So are CLOTHES.

~Andrea

I noticed the same thing. LOL I've been cutting expenses for my transition the last few months and the first thing on the chopping block was World of Warcraft and Age of Conan. I saved $30 month right there. Not to mention I rediscovered the joys of Mechwarrior and Neverwinnter Nights that have been in their jewel cases for years collecting dust.

Guest Charlene_Leona

I don't know what it is but when I went on hrt some thing changed within me about gaming and even computing. I would of said in the past that I was addicted to computers and my family would of agreed. But since I started transition it's not the same, I like to tell people that I got a real life. Gaming is not the same for me as well.

Guest Robin Winter

~Andrea

Two reasons for it. One, I pay in Canadian funds, that automatically raises the price. Two, I pay by phone, because I don't have a credit card and using paypal takes like 2 weeks to process. I hate waiting, so I pay the extra 3 or 4 dollars and it gets tacked on to my phone bill. I don't mind, I still feel I'm getting good value for my money :)

Guest chelsy123
Two reasons for it. One, I pay in Canadian funds, that automatically raises the price. Two, I pay by phone, because I don't have a credit card and using paypal takes like 2 weeks to process. I hate waiting, so I pay the extra 3 or 4 dollars and it gets tacked on to my phone bill. I don't mind, I still feel I'm getting good value for my money smile.gif

I agree with you there Shilo, runescape offers so much for your buck! I've been playing for...erm 8 years? (on and off) and I can say I've enjoyed my moneys worth and then some!

Guest CutieNaomi

I'd rather get myself the one game I've been pining for for over a year (Star Wars Old Republic) for my Husband and I rather than get MORE clothes... But I really do enjoy going shopping... ow, now I'm stuck in this dilemma... I was fine before i read this! *Play-Cry*

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emily H

Wow, its so great to see that there ar other girl gamers around here! That is awesome!

Hey Shilo, what is your runecape name? We could be friends!

Mine is dottedboy, unfortunately. Some of my friends in RL play too so... :/

~Andrea

While I'm pretty strapped for cash, if a game comes out that I've been wanting for quite some time, then everything else goes on the backburner, even food expenses. I'd love to get more clothes, but if I just work with what I have, then I can get myself a nice new game. And since I only buy maybe, one or two games a year, it works out to where I could have both if I wanted.

Guest katie019

money isnt really an issue for me because i play free MMORPGs from gpotato. this one im playing righ now is called Luna, its really neat an the graphics are pretty good too. if you had to pay for every online game i dont think i would be able to afford it then. hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Games are expensive.

So are CLOTHES.

~Andrea

It is so true x_x My girlfriend will buy her favorite games as soon as they come out, then wish she'd have more money for clothes.

Guest jessica-
money isnt really an issue for me because i play free MMORPGs from gpotato. this one im playing righ now is called Luna, its really neat an the graphics are pretty good too. if you had to pay for every online game i dont think i would be able to afford it then. hahaha

I tried other games from gpotato but nothing beats rappelz(imo) but. i can try and fit both in usually i go for clothes first i have many relative with alot of money and will pay me to do chores for them so i get masybe 4-5games a year..

but ive cut back to 2 this year.

• 1 year later...
Guest Groove_Ghost

Oh wow so many other girl gamers out there!!!! I LOVE YOU ALLLLLL :lol:

I have been playing games since the days of the SNES and Megadrive, which is basically from the age I could hold a pad :P

My favorite games are mostly survival horrror and FPS, anything where I can lock, load and kill lots of ugly, nasty monsters in disturbing ways!

I get a certain satisfaction from playing online shoot em' ups, whenever I sign in with my girly tags I get a lot of guys who treat me like a noob, most of them sign out when they continually get owned by a girl :P

In case anyone is interested my top five games of all time are *drum roll please*

1. Shenmue

2. Resident Evil (I want to be Claire :( (so awesome and cute)

3. Max Panye

4. Shadow Man

5. Legacy of Kain series

As for the clothes/games debate it is one for the ages, I tend to alternate, I will buy lots of lovely clothes for awhile and then buy lots of awesome games, no one misses out!

Plus I play lots of last gen games so they aren't so expensive, has anyone noticed most games these days have such short single player campaigns?????????

If you want to play a good MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) I would recommend Anarchy Online. You can play the original game for free and add Shadowlands for $5/month. The graphics are old in today's standards but it is a very good MMO. If you want to become acquainted with what MMO's are about, this is the one. I've played many video games for over 30 years. This is the game to start for MMO's. I rarely play video games anymore. It's not that I dislike them, I just have too many other parts of life that take priority. I am tempted to play Anarchy Online, but only for 10 or less hours per week (schedule the time to play) with friendly people to play with who don't care about making mistakes and more in to having fun.

Jenny

before transition. i considered my self a gamer. after transition , other things became more important . boys, clothes,boys, makeup,boys,dating...... did i mention boys ?

i have had the problem though , on my way back to the gaming isle , something on the rack catchs my eye . and im like " aaaw i would look really great in that !!" then. i forget about any type of video game.

few games though. i will put my fashion needs on hold for

Masseffect

gears of war

dead space

some call of duty games ( loves hearing guys whine when they get fragged by a girl :) )

Sakura

Thankfully, my income is stable enough where I don't need to decide between clothes or games. I've played games since the days of the Amstrad CPC464, Robot Ron and the Custard Pie Factory FTW.

Anyway, Dead Space 2 arrived on the release date and it is the best thing ever. I actually squeed, and the last time I did that was getting Light of Dawn title for ICC 25HC on WoW. So it's been a little while since something got me excited. Gamewise anyway.

This year is looking cracking - Cataclysm is already out, Dragon Age 2, Gears of War 3. Yeah.

Props to Anarchy Online, I have done so many ToTW runs, it hurts. I was an Omni MA, got to level 110 and couldn't bear another 115 levels as much as I loved it. Shades were good, but getting spirits was a pain. Plus AO was the only really MMORPG you could twink on - trying to squeeze 100imps on a level 10, those were the days. It's all about WoW now for me on the MMORPG front.

Seeing as I'm pretty much only a 360 person (relegated to university laptop means no PC games of any kind), I only ever spend entertainment money on that. My funds are pretty slim, so I have to pick what fun things I buy each month. I don't own too many 360 games, so it's not like I spend a whole lot of money on it.

But right now I'm enjoying Dead Space 2. When that gets old, I'm still playing Oblivion thanks to news of Skyrim. I love me some Elder Scrolls. I played New Vegas an hour or two for a month, then I got kind of bored of it, which is too bad. I think Fallout 3 had more play value. Anyways, that's my two cents!

I would like to play an MMO again, but from what I read, Final Fantasy 14 Online was just... awful. That was pretty disappointing.

• 3 months later...
Guest SummerDay

I don't know what it is but when I went on hrt some thing changed within me about gaming and even computing. I would of said in the past that I was addicted to computers and my family would of agreed. But since I started transition it's not the same, I like to tell people that I got a real life. Gaming is not the same for me as well.

I just got older or bored of games which just focused on blowing stuff up and running around like a teenager wired on too much coffee. You can only hammer that sort of shallow repetition for so long before it gets stale. Give me a game I can explore with characters I care about that doesn't trip me up at every other corner.