• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Need Cheap Clothing!

Guest Anna_Banana

Guest Anna_Banana

So clothing that poor Asian kids make for a bowl of rice these days is pretty expensive. $50 for a pair of jeans and $30 for a t-shirt. I've just about exhausted my local Goodwill. Luckily I don't need jeans thanks to that. However, I still need tops. Where can I shop that won't bust the bank? And by clothes, I do mean for a younger, 20-something such as myself. Sorry older gals!

I should never have to decide between a week's worth of groceries or a t-shirt...

.Anna

There are number of Internet outlet catalogs that I shop from and a lot of the fashions are too young for me - it is really good when you are plus sized and tall!

You might try looking for things like Woman Within and they have links to several others and a BOC which is an outlet for five major chains.

Love ya,

Sally

Well....Value Village has gently used clothing donations (as well as other items) for really good prices--depending on where you live, the standards vary in terms of what is on the racks. The money earned goes to a multitude of non-profit organizations that they have contracts with. Not sure if Talize is available in the USA, but it's a step up from Value Village.

Guest insanitylives

Salvation Army

Or just about any thrift store...

It's already been used, and it's donated. So it's not like you're fuling the child sweatshops + $0.02/day labour over in china

Guest Anna_Banana

I'm sorry if I had the wrong impression that most people know what Goodwill is, but its a thrift store. As much as I appreciate the recommendations, Salvation Army, etc, etc, are out. Typically, its a one thrift store town here anyway. I was looking for stores in the retail sector. But I'm guessing there aren't any based on responses. I just can't believe I'm going to have to literally starve for a month if I wish to pick out a nice shirt or pants.

.Anna

Guest Jean Davis

Hi Anna

Try some of the clearance areas in these online stores HERE . Many of the fasions that are going out of season can be found for a very reasonably price, but you have to shop around. :P

Also if you find any more please post them on that topic so others can find them. ;)

LUV

Jean

Thrift store are wonderful, you never know what you will find.

Most women buy lots of clothes that they never seem to wear , and then donate them.

Look in your yellow pages. We only have Salvation army and Value village up here, but keep your eyes pealed.

Another place might be yard sales, or garage sales, you never know you'll find , and it should be super cheap.

:wub: vanna

Guest Everette

You might try looking to see if there's a store called Plato's Closet anywhere near you :]

They've got pretty massive selections of gently used, and really nice looking, clothes. All sorts of sizes & styles, mostly for a younger age group. And I haven't yet found a store that can really beat their prices :D

http://www.platoscloset.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest praisedbeherhooves
So clothing that poor Asian kids make for a bowl of rice these days is pretty expensive. $50 for a pair of jeans and $30 for a t-shirt. I've just about exhausted my local Goodwill. Luckily I don't need jeans thanks to that. However, I still need tops. Where can I shop that won't bust the bank? And by clothes, I do mean for a younger, 20-something such as myself. Sorry older gals!

I should never have to decide between a week's worth of groceries or a t-shirt...

.Anna

The internet! I've found some pretty cool stuff on the internet, especially ebay.

Guest Steph70

I know Kat mentioned it(maybe others too), but Wal-Mart can be your friend! Look for the clearance racks. I was there 2 days ago, and they had $15, $11$, $7 and even a $3 rack! It's hit and miss for your size or style, but so worth it! There was a really cute jeans skirt on the $7 rack that I wanted but I couldn't find the right size :banghead: . Let me tell you I looked through there 3 times for that skirt!

I did get these capri jeans on the $3 rack.

Yep, paid 3 dollars for them! I gotta tell you, I love clothes. But I am so darn cheap lol! Shoes on the other hand...I might take out a loan for the perfect pair...

Stephanie

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a Forever 21? Their prices are usually cheaper out of mall places, and the other one I can think of being mall-ish and cheap would be Max Rave. I can't really vouch about their quality and other stuff, since their style never really appealed to me, and I never really shop there. The other thing to do would be to hit up clearance racks at store that normally would be out of your budget. You probably already know this, but you can get super awesome deals just because new styles are out and they need room on the racks.

For example, I got a really nice light jacket from AE that was originally $79.99 for only $24.99 after it was already marked down for clearance and then discounted even more with their clearance sale thing back in November. I'm lucky, Portland has a wide variety of thrift stores and clothing exchanges so the cheap clothes world is pretty bright here.

I don't know which shops you have in the US. Gap can be quite reasonable. Do you have H&M? They do some lovely on-trend clothes and are relatively cheap. But the main thing I'd say is echo what people have said about eBay. Be careful of the postage fees, but you can get some real bargains there

• 1 month later...
Guest Flistan

Personally I like GoodWill to find clothes to rummage about, salvage for costumes, etc. Sometimes I might get something from KMart, but in terms of shopping with names everyone's heard of with great fashion, I think Rue21 is really neat. It's cheaper than most stores, and they have really cool stuff. Check them out. :3

rue21.com

And they ALWAYS give out coupons and whatnot. If you sign up you automatically get a 20% off coupon. Whenever you buy something there they always give you another coupon to look forward to using later. :D

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Since thrift stores are out, I'll second going to Walmart or Target. Even Big Lots has clothes. Or check out your favorite mall stores and look for their clearance racks.

Also, and I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, look in your classified ads! I've seen women's clothes for sale there, too. Or check out yard sales. Classified ads, at least lately around here, are placed by rich ladies who are moving and don't want to spend the time packing up old clothes so they'd rather just sell it off for cheap. Some times you can find some great stuff! Designer labels, high end lines, fabulous bags, vintage stuff.

Guest Donna Jean
Also, and I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned, look in your classified ads! I've seen women's clothes for sale there, too. Or check out yard sales. Classified ads, at least lately around here, are placed by rich ladies who are moving and don't want to spend the time packing up old clothes so they'd rather just sell it off for cheap. Some times you can find some great stuff! Designer labels, high end lines, fabulous bags, vintage stuff.

Wow!

Never thought of that!

I'll bet that you could find some really nice things that way....

Thanks, Lizzie!

Donna Jean

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KellyKat

My best bang for buck when you can't find something locally has definitely been EBay. Name brand fashions for pennies on the dollar. You can find almost anything in NWT/NWOT, or EUC (new with tags/ without, or excellent used condition). If you know your measurements for best fit, most sellers are happy to give you the measurements of their items if asked. Good to know when you can't actually try something on. Finding mixed lots with multiple goodies, or finding some vendors that carry multiple items that you want to buy can help greatly reduce your shipping costs too. Hope this helps Kelly :)

Guest Jasmine87
Well....Value Village has gently used clothing donations (as well as other items) for really good prices--depending on where you live, the standards vary in terms of what is on the racks. The money earned goes to a multitude of non-profit organizations that they have contracts with. Not sure if Talize is available in the USA, but it's a step up from Value Village.

I have to agree that Value Village is really good, and very inexpensive :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Esperanza Xochitl

Often Anarchist collectives have free stores. I found a lot of cute clothes at some free stores in Milwaukee. They have some free stores in Madison too! So go ahead and look for an anarchist collective. Then ask about if they have a free store.

Guest ricka

Anna---I can understand your rejection of thrift store shopping, especially if u have only one store to choose from. I live in a rather wealthy community when it comes to per capita income and have found some great thrift store clothes---like a fabulous fuschia colored negligee I absolutely adore. Last year I found a like-new 100% cashmere sweater for 75 cents! I do by bras on line. I recently bought a shelf bra from "HerRoom" and am very happy with it. It fits perfectly.

Hugs, Ricka