• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where To Find Cloths

Guest Michelle/nuckles

Guest Michelle/nuckles

Myself having the feelings as “to dress” I am dealing with.

My problem now is with the acquisition of clothing.

With the income I have the the stores i could partake in shopping

Like walmart and etc .seem not to like men intheir ladies deoartment looking at the ladies underware. So i went to target be cause i read they contribute to the gay and lesbian organization

WellI have learned (the hard way) the store security and employees do not have the same outlook as the copperate office does. But i was nicely asked to leave the area but i didnt have to leave the store.

So you have any suggestions oh how an no op or estro person can accuire the items they need incase want cloth or prepare incase they have to go RLT

• Root Admin

I'm surprised you got this reaction from the stores you mentioned. Usually the only thing they care about is the color of your money. Have you considered doing your shopping online? Most major stores have online shopping features. Good luck.

MaryEllen :)

Guest Sarah_G_L

*nods* i used the online method for myself. Just make sure to do your research about figuring out sizes. I had no problems buying other clothing late at night however at walmart. I just had a reason prepared in the event I ran into anyone I knew.

Think I had planned something like 'girlfriend had me wash some of her clothes she left, and I ruined them, so I have to replace them"...

Edited by Sarah_G_L
Guest Kylie

That is so unreal sounding. That must've been horrible for you. What is wrong with those people? For all they know, you are shopping for your girlfriend wife or whatever. Bleh, people can be so ignorant to things, it's just sad. Doesn't give the human race a good image in my eyes. Okay, I'd better stop my rant there before it goes any deeper. Just my opinions trying to express themselves quite loudly <_<

Anyways, do you like live in a rural or pretty conservative area or something? If so, maybe that could explain the opposition that you have been facing. If not... well, I don't know enough about your situation to give other suggestions of why you have been opposed. You could always try other stores of the same name. Maybe you just happened to run into a few intolerant boobs, and might have more luck at a store located in a different location from the ones you have tried. Of course, there is always the option of shopping somewhere a little more classy, a.k.a. pricier, such as a Mervyn's or Sears or whatever. You might face less opposition... although maybe not. I have yet to do anything more than grab a box of panties at a Wal-Mart and also at a Target. Makes me feel less vulnerable than looking at the individual panties, but sadly doesn't give quite as much of a selection in designs. Well, I feel like I'm babbling, but maybe I will have given you some things to think on. If none of that works out, as MaryEllen said you could always shop online ^_^

i, too, find that unbelievable. you have to have a talk with those folks, you have a right to shop as you will. they have no right to single you out. as long as you aren't mishandling the merchandise or making a spectacle of yourself you should not be accosted by anyone. next time ask to see the store manager, someone is definately overstepping their authority by asking you to leave, whatever dept you're in. lotsa love and hope, pj

Guest Sally Stone

It is sad that you had a bad experience shopping for the things you need. That kind of treatment is uncalled for. I will tell you though, that I was never very comfortable shopping in Walmart for women's clothing.

I have always had terrific experiences shopping in department stores. I have shopped while dressed as a woman and as a man, and have never had a bad experience either way. In fact, everyone I have ever run into, associate or customer, has always been pleasant.

I have also learned that while the quality and selection of the clothing is much better, there are also some spectacular bargains. If you shop carefully, you can find some wonderful items greatly discounted. To give you an example, I once purchased a beautiful leopard print leather mini-skirt for $12.00. I've found $200 ladies suits for less than $20, and very nice blouses for as low as $5. The sale racks at department stores are a gold mine. I've never paid retail for any of my feminine wardrobe, yet everything I own is all high quality.

You might want to give Pennys, Dillards, Sears, or Filene's a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Best wishes and happy shopping.

Sally

Guest Krystyna_Marie

Thrift stores for Goodwill, The Salvation Army are amazing places to shop, especially if you're in a moderately sized city with big thrift stores. Shoes, clothes, the Goodwill I frequent has new underwear in bins if you don't mind sifting through looking for a size. These places are usually busy, and 'anonymous', and very very inexpensive, if you don't mind 'hand me downs' for dressing up (I don't mind at all). I bought a stack of cute outfits, all in excellent condition including two skirts, two blouses, a nightgown, panties and a bra, and shoes for $27.50 cash last week. fun fun fun!!

Hope this helps!

KM

Guest Sophie Jean

That's amazing. I thought Dallas would be more open. Especially in the Oak Lawn district. WalMart and all that is overpriced anyways when compared to the many Ross stores in the area. I have never had a problem with them other than the occasional strange look. Great selection. If all else fails, try the Fort Worth side of the metroplex.

Love and Hugs,

- Sophie

Guest Kiera

Wow... I never have a problem in Target... and I thought I was in one of the most conservative areas in the country... maybe get a girlfriend to go with you, until I got my confidence up, I used to use a code with my ex that worked wonders... we would just wander the aisles together and she would ask me if I thought such and such would be something that Kiera would like... and I would say ummm no I think she would like that purple top right there.... etc.

No great suggestions on where to shop, I usually just walk in to wherever it is and just shop away... TJ Maxx and ShopKo have been a great places for me.

My favorite place to buy shoes is zappos.com, a little pricey, but great service, free overnight shipping, no hassles on returning items, and a really good selection too.

Huggles and Loves,

Kiera

Guest Jolene4ever

I was ae our local Walmart and this biddy came up to me and said " wouldn't you be happier in the men's dept?' I just looked at her and said " would you be happier at having a job?" Never had a problem since. But I also found that you can find real bargains in a Goodwill store. Skirts and blouses for about four bucks.

Guest Christine61

I usually order online through Lane Bryant, Roamans or Just My Size for clothing. Payless is good for shoes. Fortunately my wife has a Avon rep for makeup. My two cents worth.

Guest Michelle/nuckles
I usually order online through Lane Bryant, Roamans or Just My Size for clothing. Payless is good for shoes. Fortunately my wife has a Avon rep for makeup. My two cents worth.

Thank you for the leads roamans had pretty dresses next i check out lanes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rebecka43

so sorry that you had such a bad time at shopping, but not all stores are like that I am from ma and the wal-marts that we have really dont care what you are buying, I go in there looking all kinds of way and even know some people might not understand, for the most part they are pretty opening minded but I do find it easier to go out shopping with a few of my girl friends and just have fun some times when your with a bunch or a few girls nobody gives you a second look, so try going out with some friends, just a thought, hope you do not give up just because of a few close minded people shopping is so much fun Love always Rebecka ;)

• 1 month later...
I'm surprised you got this reaction from the stores you mentioned. Usually the only thing they care about is the color of your money. Have you considered doing your shopping online? Most major stores have online shopping features. Good luck.

MaryEllen :)

Me too, I shop Wal-Mart and Tatget regularly and never had a problem. In fact I buy almost all my "dainty things" at Wal-Mart or Target. My dresses, skirts and blouses I usually buy at Cato..they seem to have a better selection in my size.

• 1 month later...
Guest DanielleinColorado

Yes, that's very surprising. When I shopped at Target, I never had a problem. Got a few strange looks at checkout, but that was about it. Never did get into shopping at Wally World. My wife loves it, but I can't stand even going into the place. I have had great lucky at Penny's and Sears though. Recently at a Penny's, I was in the lingerie department, and a lady actually asked me if I would like to try on a babydoll set I was taking a closer look at. That was a first for that store!! I recently lived in the DFW area, and there was a lingerie/prosthetic store in Plano, in the same area as the mall off of 75, that catered to crossdressers. You could go in there anytime and try anything on. One of the older ladies there would even help with the fitting. I don't recall the name of it, but it's the only one in that area.

Guest Veronicalynn

I am with Christine, the places that she mentioned are very good, but my favorite is Roamans the clothes are nicer.

Hi all.....I'm still nervous when I go shopping, but the best place I have been to is Pennys. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs and nobody has ever looked at me while I was shopping or they were to afraid to say anything.

• 1 month later...
Guest Evey in Ohio

I have to say I've never had a problem at target or wal mart either. another one of my fave places to shop is hot topic not only are they friendly more than once they've offered to let me try it on discreetly if I'd like

Guest BecomingKimberly

I'm surprised about a problem in Wal-mart. My wife had a Lumpectomy for Breastcancer this summer and at the same time had breast reduction surgery on the other side so she was even. Since she wouldn't know what size she was until after the surgery I had to go bra shopping for her the next day. I had to go thru an entire 12 foot long 6 foot high panel of sports bras to find the required style and size. It took me nearly an hour and at times I was sitting on the floor flipping thru pegs of bras and onone said a word to me.