• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ftm Shaving?

Guest Thorndrop

Guest Thorndrop

Not talking about the face, since I'm not on T.

What I want to know is, before you're out and passing completely, should you shave your legs and underarms or not? Personally, I much prefer not to, but I'm worried about the reactions I'd get from people, since my voice gives me away immediately as a 'butch girl' rather than a guy. I feel uncomfortable whatever I do. If I shave, it doesn't feel right to me, but if I don't, I'd probably get weird looks. Just something I started thinking about because when it gets warmer in summer, I'm most likely going to want to wear shorts..

Opinions?

Like April Said, its just hair so who cares!

I know some women who don't shave their legs and some men who do - it really doesn't matter that much any more - be yourself and enjoy life - everybody else is too involved in their own problems to notice you.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest julia_d

meh.. it's a real "whatever" is this.. My ex didn't shave her underarms.. and she was a full on gg with mediterranean blood. Her cultural background said girls didn't do it.. so it's a purely personal preference..

to pass leave it alone.. or shave it off and say you like swimming or it itches or something.. really it's a personal decision we can't make for you.

Guest SamIThinkIAm

I don't pass either---ever. I'm 'out' though.

I don't shave my legs and they're definetly hairy enough to be a guy's legs--and for me it's personal preference because I don't feel 'right' with shaved legs like you--and I love wearing my shorts in the summer. My armpits well--I'm debating it now that I have male shirts with proper sleeves *finally*---but I might continue it just because I tend to sweat alot and I hate being sweaty and sticky.

If you're trying to pass I'd recommend not shaving them--I know you (like I do) don't pass because of your voice---but if you have a feminine voice and hairles legs well then there's no doubt in anyone's mind as to your biological sex--or at least a heck of a lot less. At least--that's what I'd think.

I know it's odd at first going out with fuzzy legs in shorts or otherwise-- you are going to get some looks--but figure it this way---when you're trans you're going to get stared at anyway so you might as well do what makes you feel more comfortable in your own skin.

Well, are you trying to pass or are you trying to pretend you're a girl? I don't mean that to be offensive -- just like what's your goal here?

If you're trying to pass, shaving won't help. Yeh, your voice might out you, but you can work on that. And depending on how old you are, you may even be able to pass without any T at all. Depends on age, body shape, attitude, etc. I'd say if you're up for it, go for it.

Obviously, if you're not comfortable being out and still trying to pass as a girl, and you can stomach shaving...well it would probably help. Might be kind of awful though, especially if you've already got a lot of dysphoria.

And Sam's got a good point -- most of us, at some point or another, get stared at in public for our appearance. It sucks, but it's true. Either way you decide, this might be one of those times for you. You've just got to do whatever makes you least uncomfortable, IMO.

Guest ChalenAustin

It's whatever you wnt to.

I shave my arms and my legs. It's bodybuilder thing- swimmers do it and so do alot of other people and atheletes.

It probably won't make a difference passing wise.

If you have some issues with your legs being "too girly" than don't shave them- it may be a couple months through before the hair cmes in thick and full enough to take away some of the girly appearence though.

Either way it will only grow back ;)

Guest i is Sam :-)

if you don't wanna shave them then don't. if you need to pretend to be a girl for whatever reason just wear some opaque tights. and there are guys out there with higher pitched voices and you can certainly bring it down a little with practice.

Guest April63

Having hair doesn't make you a man, and shaving doesn't make you a woman. People may question you about your shaving habits, but shaving doesn't make a difference. Not even to them.

Guest CharlieRose
Having hair doesn't make you a man, and shaving doesn't make you a woman. People may question you about your shaving habits, but shaving doesn't make a difference. Not even to them.

That is rather insightful. I might steal that sometime.

• 2 months later...
Guest Matthias_Bane

Personally I shave, not because I try to remain hidden to my mum, because I never wear shorts anyways, but because it is just more comfortable to me. A little feminine? Maybe, but who cares? It is not about pleasing the world, but about making yourself happy. If you feel uncomfortable with body hair, then remove it. I know plenty of bio-guys who do just because they prefer the appearance and feel. In short, do what you feel you would prefer. If you are okay with the hair being there then by all means, let it be there.

Guest Donna Jean
In short, do what you feel you would prefer. If you are okay with the hair being there then by all means, let it be there.

By gosh, Matt!

That's it!

You've got it...that is absoutely what it is all about!

There are no rules in Transgenderism...go where ever it makes you comfortable...

Good for you, Hon...

Do what you need!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Matthias_Bane
By gosh, Matt!

That's it!

You've got it...that is absoutely what it is all about!

There are no rules in Transgenderism...go where ever it makes you comfortable...

Good for you, Hon...

Do what you need!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

I have only you and the other brilliant people here to thank for me 'getting it'. Everyone here makes me feel very comfortable, okay with being me, and I once more want to thank you for that.

<3

Matty

Guest praisedbeherhooves
Not talking about the face, since I'm not on T.

What I want to know is, before you're out and passing completely, should you shave your legs and underarms or not? Personally, I much prefer not to, but I'm worried about the reactions I'd get from people, since my voice gives me away immediately as a 'butch girl' rather than a guy. I feel uncomfortable whatever I do. If I shave, it doesn't feel right to me, but if I don't, I'd probably get weird looks. Just something I started thinking about because when it gets warmer in summer, I'm most likely going to want to wear shorts..

Opinions?

If they think you are a butch girl then they wouldn't even be surprised to see unshaved legs and if they perceive you as a guy then they will be surpised to see shaved legs. I say don't shave, unless you want to.

the only thing i shave is my underarms and my face(my face coz people and my motehr make fun of me saying that i look like my brother --'),but i'm not on T.

People see hair on my legs when i wear my troussers full of holes, but i don't care much about it,i actually like my hairy legs (i know it sounds stupid,ut it's like i feel more manly xD) and my legs are muscly :D

Anyway, i think it's your own decision, i suggest you to do it if you feel comfortable with it, shave or not shave , doesn't matter at all.

Many guys shave these Times, a lot of girls likes shaved mans.

I don't think you look more femenine becasue you shave, you may look younger because of it.

Sorry but i can't really help you with this, just gave my opinion,

Take care,

Alex

Guest Skylar

Personally I still shave my armpits because to me I feel awkward if I don't shave them. I've never been one to like being very hairy so I don't feel comfortable growing gorilla hair under my arms. I don't however shave my legs. I feel like such a girl when I do and it makes me feel very bare. I have never been one to feel comfortable wearing shorts because I'm pretty pale, but I've found that not shaving my legs has actually made me feel comfortable enough to wear them. In the end it's up to you and what makes you feel comfortable.

-Sky