• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trying On Clothing At Department Stores

Guest Steph S.

Guest Jamie Lynn Star

I used to work at a Walmart. over night shift. So on meal break Id go wondering around. I knew kind of the cam blind spots. So Id usally in shoe asle try on heels . Or look at tops and skirts then when I clocked out I d go gget what I liked and buy them. Hoping the crew i worked with didnt see me JLS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rita63

Most of the fitting rooms up here are in one group usually in the womens section, even in Walmart and Good Will. A lot of men never buy clothes their mothers and wives buy them. My mother told the Eatons manager (big Dept. store) that I was coming and put it on her account (he lived across the street). My older sister told me what was cool and I developed some taste and looked good in high school. Lost interest in fashion during the hippy and dad years. Now that I buy femme stuff its coming back and I notice it more.

Now to get up the courage to get those skinny jeans.

hugs rita

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Marlane

I recently went to a women store and picked out a few items. I asked the sales lady if it was ok to use the dressing room and she sad it was fine. There were several other ladies there and no one seemed to care at all. Maybe I got lucky and maybe times can change. I think if we use our best judgement and try and shop at hours that are not crazy busy then we will be able to work it out.

Guest ~Phoebe~

Has anyone tried on or have been tempted to try on different articles of clothing at department stores? If so are there any rules around it and what can and cannot be tried on or does it depend on the store? My guess is that taking women's clothing to the men's changing room would be a total no-no.

It might depend on the stores policy or the sales associate you ask. I believe there was a transgender MtF in South Carolina that was refused by the sales associate to use the woman’s fitting room because the SA was of Muslim faith? I have not had any issues with using the woman’s fitting rooms even going in male drab. I usually shop at times when the store is not busy on weekdays when less customers are in the woman’s clothes department.

• 9 months later...

ive shopped at any different department stores. Kohls, Penneys, Sears, Elane Bryant, TJ Max, Fashion Bug,just to mention a few and have never had a problem. The important thing here is to just be yourself. if you do have a problem at any store there are alot of different places to shop, so ou can take your business elsewhere. Love Amber L.

Guest camille_hope

I went bra shopping with my wife a week ago and we just picked out stuff to try on. With my wife, I didn't get any looks or comments. Haven't tried it by myself yet.

Guest Steph S.

I have the feeling when you are talking about body briefers instead of dresses you might be a different respoinse on things. The last time I tried it at Kohl's the I waited until the coast was clear and then entered the lingerie section. I took the bodybriefer over the male dressing rooms to try it on. On my way I heard the CD6 code but didn't think anything about it. I tired it on but it wasn't the right size so I was going to go get a different one, but as soon as I walked out there was a associate there who frantically went into each room thinking I stole it. To say the least I freaked out and put in back on a rack and walked out. Horrible experience and to say the least I'm very nervous to even try that again.

When i lst came out, i used to go into mens clothing stores and pretend what i bought was for my son, but i felt very awkward indeed - once in a London store, which is quite "posh" - i had just been accepted for "T" so though dressed in mens clothing, i still looked very feminine, the assistant called me "madam" in a very scathing way, when i tried on a jacket and because by his body language and voice, i could tell he was almost certainly gay, so I called his "Miss".............

Just a funny here about clothing and older people - i tend to buy quite up to date fashions which a lot of guys wouldnt wear at my age, though i wouldnt wear obviously young items, trying to look like a teenager, i just like modern gear - but sometimes i feel as though the assistants are looking at me browsing and thinking "whats that old geezer doing in here" - im probably paranoid, lol. Anyway when my youngest son was 8, i was taking him in general store for a new coat, so i said, wheres the aged 8 clothing for boys - it was almost closing time so very quiet and he said in quite a loud voice "Mum, do they have ages on the ladies clothing too" - an elderly lady heard him and laughed, - she said "Its a good job they dont, or I'd be looking at clothing for 80 yr olds", - kids eh?

Guest camille_hope

I went with my wife on a shopping spree for clothes for both of us. Normally we both get clothes and we both go in together to try stuff on. We went to Ross's and the dressing police there flipped as I tried to go with my wife. She said that it's for ladies. (I was dresses drab) She then had the nerve to get after my wife for not coming out and modeling for me (and the whole store). We're never going back there. We then went to TJ Maxx and as I started following my wife, the lady cut in front of me and told me that I can wait here.

We finally went to Kohls where they don't police the changing rooms. We both went in and tried stuff on. We ended up spending our whole budget there. It was great!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_

I have the feeling when you are talking about body briefers instead of dresses you might be a different respoinse on things. The last time I tried it at Kohl's the I waited until the coast was clear and then entered the lingerie section. I took the bodybriefer over the male dressing rooms to try it on. On my way I heard the CD6 code but didn't think anything about it. I tired it on but it wasn't the right size so I was going to go get a different one, but as soon as I walked out there was a associate there who frantically went into each room thinking I stole it. To say the least I freaked out and put in back on a rack and walked out. Horrible experience and to say the least I'm very nervous to even try that again.

Steph: Kohls is one of if not my favorite store to shop in. I have never had any problems. On quite a few occassions Ive had the sales ladies assist me with what I was shopping for. Bra's, Briefer's, Blouse's. Pants. Just this past week I bought my first dress at Kohls. I went in and asked one of the ladies to assit me, and she was teriffic. I know that at first it can be difficult, but give yourself some time and be confident in who you are. It seems that since I found Laura's my confidence has soared mainly by reading all the threads and thinking to myself if someone else has already journeyed down this road why cant I. Remember be yourself and have Confidence, Confidence, Confidence in who you are and what you feel. Love Amber L.

Guest midnyteTX

I have been shopping both presenting en-femme, in boy mode and androgynous, and never had an issue with whichever dressing room I go in as to how I am presenting, I have done quite a bit of shopping at Frederick's of Hollywood, both dressed and not dressed and had some wonderful help from the employees there, helped in getting the right size, and helped in getting a corset laced up when I got it last year. It's all a matter of attitude and confidence. If you act like you are supposed to be there, they generally will not care.

Guest Clair Dufour

There is no law about trying on women's clothes in a single stall fitting room and buying them!!! Should someone want to express their view about your clothing choices you might want to do them one better. Like say... You got your bits blown off in Vietnam, Irak or Afganistan and now with the SEQUESTER your not sure your going to still get your hormones from the VA.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamie_cd

Not a department store story but this may help. I went a store called Express which sells men's and women's clothing. Grabbed a pair of girls jeans and tried them on. The salesman who helped me at the dressing room was really great and didn't have any issues helping me find sme pairs that were longer (I'm 6'2" tall). I felt completely comfortable and relaxed. Granted the store wasn't really busy. And I was dressed as a guy btw