• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Local Newspaper...

Guest AlyssaBrianna

Guest Brianna

So, my teacher from last year, who knew i had OCD, called me down to her classroom the other day and asked me if i wanted to be interviewed by the local newspaper concerning OCD. At first i was a bit offended that the teacher had singled me out like that, but then i realized that this is an opportunity to explain the difficulties of being OCD. But just earlier today i was thinking. Do I really have OCD? The only reason I was diagnosed as such was because that was the best explanation for my crossdressing (so said the doctor). And I really don't think it would be wise for me to talk about CDing with relevance to OCD. So I guess I'm just gonna replace the word transsexualism with OCD, because all of my problems last year were caused by me knowing that i was trans, yet everyone around me thinks it was from the OCD. I figure its the best outlet to convey the struggles i had last year in an informative way. I don't know though. I have my second psychologist appointment on monday, and i hope this time ill actually be able to talk to her in private! :D.

Sorry if the above paragraph doesn't make much sense, I'm kinda hyper right now hehehehe.

As always, love

Alyssa.

Guest Katie-Louise

Hey Alyssa go for it I was in the newspaper before for having a poem published and I was in it again for something else can't remember :lol: This is a chance to explain your thoughts and feelings on OCD and how it affects everyday life if your doctor thinks 'CDing' is because of the OCD he is totally wrong and I would suggest getting a better doctor although none of my family have OCD I do understand it very well and it's been publicised on the TV in many occasions to help other people understand. I don't see why OCD should make it any difficult getting a diagnosis. It's your time to speak out and I think it is a great opportunity. wishing you all the very best lots of cuddles and kisses

Samantha

xxx

Guest Brianna

Thanks Samantha,

Well I have gotten a new doctor, my original one retired so I i go to the same office but a different doctor, shes really nice :).

And yeah, not a whole lot of people around here understand it, they all have their own opinions on the matter and aren't really educated (seems to be the case with a lot of stuff around here, heh).

Love

Alyssa

As someone with OCD, myself, I'd love for people to learn more about the disorder and how it affects the lives of those who have to deal with it. You can have gender identity related OCD, but the main difference between that and being transgender is that, if it's stemming from OCD, the thoughts on cross dressing, transitioning, etc will be intrusive and distressing. I had to come to terms with this myself, and it took me a long time, but in the end, I realized that having a female gender, even when my body doesn't match, is a joy to me. It was not a joy, however, to have intrusive thoughts of contamination, blasphemy and orderliness and ending up in a fetal ball on the floor shaking and crying until 3am everyday I was in high school.

Quite honestly, it doesn't sound like you have OCD, just that your previous doctor didn't know what they were talking about. I hope everything goes well with the new doc. .

J.

Guest Michelle M

Lots of doctors are quacks. My mom took me to a psych. when I was 16. (I am pretty sure most of my depression stemmed from gender dysphoria, I just didn't know it.) He asked me if I was depressed. Yes. He asked me if I'd thought of suicide. Yes. "Ok, the diagnosis is that you're depressed. I'll get you some Prozac." Case closed. Maybe if he would have delved deeper I would have found out sooner.

There are many doctors who misdiagnose children with problems, just blaming it on ADD or OCD.

Guest kathy sue

wow! learning new stuff all the time here. the only ocd i could relate to is counting and that seems to be mostly about walking, when i was younger we had this chant(?) about, step on a crack, break your mother's back. well i watched where i stepped all the time and it sort of developed into counting my steps most all the time( knew exactly how many stairs there were anyplace i went etc) somehow this turned into every time i went anywhere it had to be in groups of 4 steps don't know why, but i would take a half step to get a group of 4, but i'm doing much better now.

any way i did not put ocd and gender dysphoria together before now but thinking about it i can see where i do get somewhat obsessive in this, yeah somewhat!!

and when i was in school the shrink my mother took me to would have said i had add or whatever but this was before add was

even thought up. he wanted me to take stellazine, similar to thorazine but less intense. i refused to take it!

Guest Brianna

The interview went well, and it was funny, as I was talking to the journalist and telling her of my struggles last year, I almost forgot I was talking about OCD, and that i was talking about being trans. I'm seriously beginning to doubt that I have ever had it, and maybe that was just my pent-up feelings about being trans manifesting themselves in compulsive and obsessive behaviors. And it certainly didn't help to have a doctor that didn't fully understand what i was going through. Thats all in the past though. Now, I am embracing who I am and hopefully that means I can get somewhere with therapy.

Either way, I hope to educate the readers of the article what OCD can do to a teenager.

Also, the author took a picture of me :)

Love

Alyssa.

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

My best friend has OCD, and he can be a real pain to be around sometimes. Had to kick him for changing my computer desktop on me more than once, or for changing things around in my car. I'm slightly obsessive about things myself. I like things just where I want them for quick easy access, Like keeping maps at hand in the car.

Good to hear your interview went well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 194 Guests (See full list)

• Karen Carey
    • MaeBe
    • SwiftySpeedy
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Ashley0616
    • SamC