• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Binge Eating,

Guest aerlinthe

Guest aerlinthe

hi, ive been struggling with my weight for along time, seems during the day im fine with my eating i usually make smart choices while at work and in the morning but when i get home after work i cant stop eating. usually i go looking for sweet stuff like chocolate. seems like this happens everynight, i know im eating too much yet i cant stop myself. I tend to eat out of boredom maybe?

Guest Elizabeth K

Boredom maybe? But 'empty calories' and sweets? Honey, you are REWARDING yourself for a hard day sucessfuly navigated! Switch to sweets and treats with little impact such as fresh fruit or salted nuts.. It will fill you, satisfy you, and if it is well prepared and looks good to you, a significant reward for a hard day!

Elizabeth Anne

Guest Donna Jean

I make lots of Popsicles out of Kool Aid made with artificial sweetner...

No real calories....

They satisfy my sweet tooth, give my hands and mouth something to do and are super easy to make!

I use 3 small trays that I bought at Wal Mart for $1.25 each...

I can make 12 pops at a time...

And even if I eat all 12 in one sitting (and I sometimes do) it's only 60 calories...about as much as in an apple!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K
I make lots of Popsicles out of Kool Aid made with artificial sweetner...

No real calories....

They satisfy my sweet tooth, give my hands and mouth something to do and are super easy to make!

I use 3 small trays that I bought at Wal Mart for $1.25 each...

I can make 12 pops at a time...

And even if I eat all 12 in one sitting (and I sometimes do) it's only 60 calories...about as much as in an apple!

Huggs

Donna Jean

And it does a body good (personal experience!)

Elizabeth Anne

I snack a lot because I find it physically difficult to cook my dinner and tea. I do have a bit, but I can never manage to make anything filling enough. So recently I've started experimenting with different fruits...

By that I mean I have a little of healthy with unhealthy, firstly because it's normally the unhealthy stuff that appeals to me most, and the healthy stuff I'd usually look at and go "Ha no way I've got a galaxy bar in the fridge!" :P

apple and chocolate? sound horrible or sickly? maybe to some. lol :P but I sometimes melt chocolate and spread it on a bit of the apple....

I'm weird. But it works for me to stop me eating all those nasty things only!

I started this because of a health scare a few weeks ago. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest AlexMichel

I used to have the same problem (except I was bulimic so these episodes were always followed by a trip to the toilet). I am seeing a nutritionist and therapist for my eating disorder and gender issues. When in therapy, I have to look at my triggers. At home and at school, I spend a lot of time alone, and loneliness is one of my triggers. If you spend a lot of time alone, you might consider inviting friends or family over, or going to their places.

I like the idea of keeping food around that is a little healthier. Fruits are good and full of nutrients that your body needs to stay healthy. I keep peanut butter around, and just eat a spoonful of that with some diet coke, maybe eat it on some crunchy celery. It's awesome. The protein in peanut butter makes you feel satisfied.. and it's also sugary. Crunchy foods fulfill the need to chew stuff (it's a real need.. look it up. :P -- I especially like celery because it's supposed to increase testosterone levels -- so are bananas and avocados and almonds). So that would probably work.

Also, make sure you are eating enough at meals so that you feel full. Approximately half of your calories should be carbs, and 1/4 protein and 1/4 fat. Potatoes are good to keep you full... and eating a little square of chocolate each day is supposed to be helpful for stopping cravings and also good for your heart.. or something.

HALT is an acronym that outlines some typical triggers for binge eating. If you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired you should HALT (yeah, corny I know) and look at yourself, be conscious of your decisions and try to make a decision that will help you not eat so much. Taking a walk, going out, doing things with your hands (like sewing, knitting, drawing, push-ups, etc...) might help take your mind off of things. I noticed that when I am watching tv, playing video games, baking, reading, or just sitting around, I tend to want to eat ALL THE TIME!

I hope this has helped you... If you have any questions, feel free to ask. (I'm not claiming to be an expert btw, just regurgitating things my therapist has told me).

Take it easy.

Guest aerlinthe

thanks for that post alexmichel. that pretty much sounds like what i need, i usually find myself eating way to much when im alone and im almost always tired, i dont get enough sleep. gonna have to remember that HALT/

• 10 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

Binge eating and I go back a long ways. The bad part is that if I even smell chocolate I probably pack on a few pounds. This is real difficult right now for me because as my weight goes up so does my blood pressure. The last time I was on hrt, the dr made me stop due to the bp thing. So now I'm trying to dump weight as much as possible so that I can do hrt once again.