• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Khaaaaannnn!

Guest Brendan

• Admin

Well, as to being a Trekker (I prefer that to Trekkie), the answer is yes. The IDIC used to be in my profile, but I must have changed it a while back. "Live long and prosper" is in my e-mail signature block at work. ;)

Since I'm a geezer, and grew up with the original series, I still like it best, especially for its humor and campiness. But for sheer brain power, Captain Picard wins hands down. I do believe he would win a Tri-Dimensional chess match against Kirk; as a matter of fact, he would probably win against anyone except Spock.

Peace and long life!

Carolyn Marie

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• Carolyn Marie

Guest MemoryAlpha

On DS9, I love the interactions with Major Kira and Garak, because all Kira has lived is violence at the hands of the Cardassians, but Garak isn't your typical Cardassian. Both characters have a hard time reconciling their emotions, what is expected of them as members of a certain race, and the constantly changing face of history.

I agree, "Duet" and "In the Pale Moonlight" are awesome episodes.

Guest Zolrek

I adored Garak and Ziyal's relationship. Mostly because I knew it would urine off Gul Dukat.

Tora Ziyal: It's just that... you're intelligent and cultured... and kind.

Elim Garak: My dear, you're young so I realize that you're a poor judge of character.

Guest MemoryAlpha

There was always a gay subtext to Garak, which adds to the "depth" of his character and his relationship with Doctor Bashir. I wish American television was more open to having gay characters on television at the time when DS9 was making it's run, because that would have been an interesting avenue to explore.

Guest Zolrek

There was always a gay subtext to Garak, which adds to the "depth" of his character and his relationship with Doctor Bashir. I wish American television was more open to having gay characters on television at the time when DS9 was making it's run, because that would have been an interesting avenue to explore.

Yes, come to think of it, I would loved if Garak was gay. Well...At lest bisexual so he could still annoy Dukat by dating his daughter.

Guest Brendan

Well, I found out netflix has all the Star Trek series.

It's just so entertaining, and there's so much I haven't even seen yet!

That just made my day. I've been watching the episodes as I can when they play at weird hours. I'll have to ask my mom if I can hijack her account!

As for the second part of the quote, agreed. I feel like I wasted my childhood by not watching it. I'm lagging behind most of my friends now! (Though, I think most would agree that Pokemon and Harry Potter was still time well spent...)

Also, now I'm really interested in DS9... I had heard of the series but never knew the premise...

• Forum Moderator

My apologies for saying earlier that I'd be in the minority with DS9 as my fav.

It is so often overlooked and I'm used to the "Oh yeah, wasn't that the one on a space station or something. Not real Star Trek with no ship"

Thanks for reaffirming my faith in fellow Trekkies!

"The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity."

"And in the way our differences combine to create meaning and beauty."

-- Dr. Miranda Jones and Spock, "Is There in Truth No Beauty?",

stardate 5630.8

JJ

Guest nelo

That just made my day. I've been watching the episodes as I can when they play at weird hours. I'll have to ask my mom if I can hijack her account!

As for the second part of the quote, agreed. I feel like I wasted my childhood by not watching it. I'm lagging behind most of my friends now! (Though, I think most would agree that Pokemon and Harry Potter was still time well spent...)

Also, now I'm really interested in DS9... I had heard of the series but never knew the premise...

Good luck with it! I love my netflix account, besides watching several shows through their streaming (I just put the CD in my wii, though they have a limited selection of what's available that way), I have several TV series on my queue too. Because I got used to DVR back home, but now in college I have just basic cable and I suck at watching anything with commercials... if I remember what time it comes on... and remember to go watch it... lets just say I rarely watch any shows regularly, and if I do it usually has to be with my roommates or I forget (besides, that gives me people to talk to during boring commercials).

Pokemon and Harry Potter does make a great childhood. I was lucky to have been playing since the release of Pokemon Red and reading since the first HP book (actually it was one of the last books my mom read to me, lol) so I got the full effect of the growing up with those. =D

Guest MemoryAlpha

I also grew up watching Pokemon and Harry Potter, but I have to say Star Trek is my favorite, as it is a little more mature, in terms on plot and sub plots.

Guest nelo

Pokemon is a children's show, and the Harry Potter movies are based on a children's book. Star Trek may be rated PG, but it's a show targeted at adults. So I can't really compare them. They're too different. But I also like Star Trek the most.

Guest Zolrek

"Oh yeah, wasn't that the one on a space station or something. Not real Star Trek with no ship"

Those aren't real Trekkies, though.

As for a kids show. In Canada, Harry potter is advertised on the children's channel, pokemon plays on the children's channels and Star Wars is played on Children channels. Star Trek is not played on kid stations. Star Trek plays on adult targeted channels. It's meant for adults but its graphics are safe enough for kids to watch, although kids may not understand some of what goes on during a Trek.

Star Trek displays a lot of battles of moral and theories such as the morally questionable practice of creating augments. Star Trek, although there is very little GLBTs on it, implies that they're accepting of all kind of races and orientation. Although, its not so far fetched, there is a episode where two characters talk about a species where the man is pregnant and how their excited for his baby shower. There's also the episode of Jadzia Dax meeting her wife from her last lifetime and the two women are still in love with each other. No one, even the Ferengis, make a rude comment about the two women being in love. Most don't understand why they can't be together but a taboo Trill rule keeps them from being together. Of course, there is more examples but I will move on. There is yet another moral battle over the EMH doctor on voyager - they fight for him to be considered sentient beings in his own right. They debate the fact that they have come across so many lifeforms and many weren't just made of flesh and bone like humans. How could they dismiss the doctor? How do they know that holomatter isn't just another type of lifeform even if it was created by other beings? In the end, there was no real decision on it. The choice was ultimately left up to the viewers mind to decide. Of course there have been other shows and other times where all these things have taken place - Star Trek just does them well. Like pointed out before, a lot of the Trek's didn't do well with blurring the line between good and evil, but they had more then just that in some of their episodes. Their content is tame but it's a step up from a kids show.

Guest Sam_P

Although I quite often found the character of the Doctor annoying, I found the dilemma of his sentience to be intriguing. The episode where he programs himself with a cold was also hilarious.

Did anyone else like the TOS episode 'The Savage Curtain'? (The one where Surak and Lincoln are recreated from Spock and Kirk's memories as part of an alien race's study of good and evil.) At the end of the study the Excalibans concluded that there seemed to be no difference between good and evil (until it was pointed out to them that the two sides' motivation for fighting was different, 'power' vs. 'peace/safety'). I thought that episode delved into a bit of greyness quite successfully in showing that Surak, whilst perhaps the most 'moral' of the characters was always going to end up dead in such a battle scenario, and that it was necessary to kill in order to ensure the safety of the Enterprise crew. It went a long way to showing that sometimes it's harder to define the 'bad guys' than you might think. There were various other more subtle points that I can no longer remember beyond the fact that they were there... :P I'mma go find it and watch it. *waves*

Guest Batsu Maru Otoko Yo!

Picard is the only true Captain, and Troy the only true hottie!

Funny story, though:

When I was two years old, (as my mother tells the story) my mother and father were having a heated discussion with me in the room. Since they'd apparently lost track of time, I apparently felt the need to remind my father (as this was pre-DVR) that Star Trek was coming on. He of course told me it wasn't, because who believes their two-year-old's ability to tell time, really? My mother, being the brains of the outfit, looked at the clock. It was indeed Star Trek time, proving that I had been programmed, at the tender age of two, to know when Star Trek came on...and I watched it with him.

It was then that I learned that Picard is the only real Captain, that Kirk is a jerk, that I was creepily like Data as a child, and that Troy was even hotter after her outfit's neckline when up because her IQ did too. I also learned to ignore the whole 'sleeping with a Klingon' thing, because Troy was clearly mine. Mine, I say!

Guest MemoryAlpha

Picard is the only true Captain, and Troy the only true hottie!

NOOO. Erzi Dax is kind of hot, and Jadzia Dax is hotter than Deanna and Ezri together!

Guest Evan_J

My shallowness rises to the surface again :rolleyes: ....no woman with spots all up and down her can fall under the classification of "hot" (yes , I know, opinions opinions)

Commander Troi however? aint gotta go home ;)

Guest Zolrek

I didn't like Deanna because most of the time she would just stand there pulling captain obvious. Sorry if I offend any of her fans.

Guest Evan_J

I like Uhura. =)

YEAH!!!

(still, Troi whips Dax's heiney. I wouldn't care if she whined like a banchee. It ain't her whine that matters when "matters" matter :P)

Guest NatashaJade

Okay, I'm late to this, but as much as I appreciate TNG (I love me some Wesley Crusher!), I am and always will be a Kirk fan. I even like the new iteration of Kirk (the recent Trek reboot made me giddy). But Shatner? He was awesome sauce. As evidenced by this thread's title, I might add. Wrath of Khan wasn't just a great Trek film, it was an amazing film...great Sci Fi, great adventure, characters, acting, story. None of the other films even came close. They're installing new software at work called Genesis and I kept saying to my department chair, "You will give me the Genesis device!"

As we used to say back in the day, 'nuff said.

luv

Gin

Guest MemoryAlpha

Okay, I'm late to this, but as much as I appreciate TNG (I love me some Wesley Crusher!), I am and always will be a Kirk fan. I even like the new iteration of Kirk (the recent Trek reboot made me giddy). But Shatner? He was awesome sauce. As evidenced by this thread's title, I might add. Wrath of Khan wasn't just a great Trek film, it was an amazing film...great Sci Fi, great adventure, characters, acting, story. None of the other films even came close. They're installing new software at work called Genesis and I kept saying to my department chair, "You will give me the Genesis device!"

As we used to say back in the day, 'nuff said.

luv

Gin

WESLEY CRUSHER?

Okay, I am really sorry, but my favorite moment in TNG was when Picard told Wesley to just shut up.

Guest NatashaJade

WESLEY CRUSHER?

Okay, I am really sorry, but my favorite moment in TNG was when Picard told Wesley to just shut up.

Aw, you're just jealous...Wesley's so cute :lol:

luv

Gin