• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How To Hide Earrings

JenniferB

I just got my ears pierced this afternoon. I figured studs would hardly show because they are so small. The studs I am using are 3mm cubic zirconium what gold plated. Not only do they stand out, they sparkle in direct light. I really love the sparkle and will show them when out in public. I love them. I went to Claire's at the mall to get the work done. Piercing the earlobes feels like pinching the ears. I didn't have any pain whatsoever. Of course I epilate and have electrolysis done. That that is a much higher threshold of pain.

However... They can't be seen at work. At least not yet. As a last resort I will take them out when going to work and gamble the whole doesn't close. What I would like to do is to find a way that could hide the earrings where it could only be seen by a keen eye. The suggestion from the friendly lady at Claire's was to use a small round band-ade. I used the clear band-ade with a noticeable center to cover the wound. The problem is it stands out. I think co-workers could figure that out quickly. I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. My hair is getting colored again tomorrow. Maybe that will help hide the ears because it will attract the most attention. The second idea is to purchase a flat iron. They aren't expensive and with straightened hair, my hair reaches right to the bottom of the ears when straight. Plus if a can find a matching flesh tone color marker to cover the band-ade. There is likely chance it won't be seen. I'm hoping this will work or I have to pull the earring right before work. The long run is more important than losing a little money from having my ears pierced too early.

Unless... members are knowledgeable about hiding earrings. I would be very grateful if I heard other ideas. If I don't have to take the earrings out, I will be jumping for joy and grateful.

Love Jenny

• Admin

Jenny, I don't have any tips for hiding them, but my son's GF suggested that we look at earrings meant for babies or small children. They are smaller and less noticeable than adult earrings. We're going to the mall this weekend and I'll let you know what I find.

Although I can't get into any trouble at work for wearing them, it will cause people to wonder, as I've been a conservative dresser and

don't wear jewelry or have long hair. So I'm in the same leaky boat as you.

Carolyn Marie

Hi Jennifer,

It is really not uncommen for men to wear earrings nowadays, I wore them for years prior as a male and had no comments - in fact it was my girlfriend that talked me into it. The only thing I would say is get some that are gender neutral and not overly feminine. I almost daily would wear round gold studs - (not the large ones that stick out) - , or diamond studs.

Small hoops work as well, but not the thin ones women wear and call sleepers - they need some thickness or look too feminine - actually , they work for women as well.

If your not sure , even a place like where you had them pierced could advise you as to what guys wear. As I say, a lot are gender neutral.

Good Luck !

Jackie :)

I use clear retainers and you can't notice them easily especially if you put them in from the back of your ear first. You can but them at Claires but be warned these are a little thicker than a normal earring and you will have to help push them through the first time.

Good Luck

Guest Donna Jean

Jennifer.....

I don't have an idea for hiding them, but, I just want to say that taking them out every day is a very bad idea....

That really increases the chance for infection and more trauma at the site from trying to poke the studs back into the holes that aren't healed up..

Maybe buy a set of Spock ears to wear for a while....

G'luck

Donna Jean

• Forum Moderator

Jenny,

Taking the earrings out is not only likely to cause infection and THAT is going to be noticeable-very-but if the holes close they can't pierce there again because of scar tissue and if you ever want earrings again they will be oddly positioned. If they get badly infected again then they won't even be possible.

Just not worth that level of risk. You really need to consult Claire's about changing the earrings for you and about what will be safe. I'm not familiar with retainers enough to know if they are suitable for use before healing. Unless special quality plastic tends to leach chemicals and harbor bacteria. Not a problem with healed holes but potentially a real mess with a new piercing.

And if you keep your hair over them -which sounds like your best bet-then please be sure to disinfect more often.

But just think how much fun you're going to have choosing and wearing earrings when you get past this glitch!

Hugs

JohnJ

I have not pierced my ears YET - it is coming and pretty soon.

I will not be able to hide them at work as they have me wear my hair in a well over a foot long ponytail - so they will be seen.

Many men now wear two earrings - watch the NFL - most even wear them during the games.

It should not be a problem - I was waiting to be established as a valuable worker before doing anything to out me - but now I wear women's trouser socks with women's loafers and a bracelet on my right wrist so I am getting them set up for the earrings.

Just don't make a big deal out of it and no one else will - for me it can be viewed as a mid life crisis - if I were going to live until I am 118!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest insanitylives

gold ball(s) [silly sensor :P] aren't seen too much.

but most people don't care about earrings on guys anymore.

also. DO NOT TAKE THEM IN AND OUT.

Just no. They WILL get infected that way. and it'll hurt like hell.

You NEED to leave them in for at least six weeks, preferably more.

• 1 month later...

There is actually jewelry made specifically for this issue. Though I don't think I've seen any for regular lobe piercings... Then again I don't think I've really looked. I've only had to hide my cartilage piercing for plays and such.. And my gauge is getting big enough that I'll have to get a special earring for that too.

What I have is a clear, small, plastic-type earring with a flat front. I know you can get them in skin colors... I've seen them in a few stores. I got mine at hottopic. So, my advice is to look in there because they have all kinds of stuff like that. I just told one of the people working there that I needed an earring that'll hide my cartilage piercing while performing, and he grabbed me just the right thing. Spencers might have something like that too. The people there almost always have some experience in having to hide a piercing. So, if you explain to them what you need they'll probably be able to help you out.

You could also walk into a tattoo salon and ask one of the people there about it.. They may have some advice on hiding piercings. Maybe even be selling something like what I mentioned.

Everyones body is different so there really isn't much telling how much time you have before your ears close if you take them out. If you take them in and out a lot its very likely they will get infected... Find something that will keep them hidden pretty well and leave that in. If they do get infected, DON'T take them out. Leave them in and clean them and be gentle with them until it all heals. I was told by a tattoo artist (that also did piercings) that if you take an earring out while its infected, it'll just close the infection inside your body and you can actually get really sick like that.

Anyway, piercings are fun stuff but it can be an issue if you have to keep them hidden right after you get them done. Hope this helped some. I've got 5 piercings... And plan on getting more.

• 11 months later...
Guest juliaLocke

When I pierced my ears I actually used bits of classical guitar string to keep the holes open until they healed. Classical guitar strings are made of clear nylon and almost completely invisible, especially if your hair is covering your ears as was in my case. Nobody ever said or noticed a thing. Playing classical also gave me a great excuse for having long fingernails!!!

As for hiding the holes after they have healed like if you have to go to an interview or something, I have found that a little bit of concealor, dabbed into the hole does the trick perfectly. (I love Dermablend, check them out if you haven't already ^_^ )

• Forum Moderator

Remember a piercing is actually a wound at first. Hence the need for healing. After I got my second set of holes I tried to take them out with the intention of putting them back in after a few hours (work related). Not only had the holes started to close, but digging around in a freshly pierced hole with the shaft of a piece of ear bling hurts a lot. I ended up just letting them close and re-piercing them after a few months.

It is perfectly okay to walk around with ears pierced, maybe not 20 years ago, but now it's fine. I walk around with both ears pierced and earrings in them all the time. Also, like DJ said, it's not a good idea to keep taking them out and putting them in, you should keep them in for at least 3- months if not longer. I had mine done at Clairs about 3 years ago for the second time, the first was around 1984 or 85. In any event the women that pierced mine the second time said to be on the safe side I should keep them in for about a year, and thats what I did. I've read your posts before and I know you've been on HRT for 6 or 8 months. Why I'm saying that is taking everthing into consideration, going around with earrings in your ears shouldn't really be a concern.

Love

Melissa 67

I have had mine pierced for over 20 years now and once they heal you can go without anything in them.

When I got mine pierced there were clear nylon inserts that could be used that could not be easily detected. A lot of people in the national guard used them for the weekends they had to be on duty.

As far as infection you should be cleaning with antiseptic a couple time a day.

Mia

I ended up not taking the studs out for over 6 months. And even then my left ear became infected a couple times afterwards. What is the funniest thing is that I was concerned about other co-workers thinking I was a transsexual. Yet after HR outed me to all the co-workers, I was talking with one and asked "was it the earrings that gave me away"? And with one of those "I'm not that dumb" stares, the female co-worker said she and others figured it out long before then.

Jenny

Guest MeredithL

I just had mine pierced 4 days ago. I don't have any problem with my work being upset as long as it's not more than a small display. My co-workers think I'm having a mid-life crisis! Of course I buzzed my goatee off at the same time...

Meredith

• 1 month later...
Guest DeannaD

I wish I could get my ears pierced. I don't think I could because of fears of how people would see me, not a 'guy" guy. I can't get anything pierced though, as I am a transplant patient and told not to get any pierceings or tatoos. I wish I could/would get my ears pierced to show as who I am at some level.

Deanna,

I sympathize on the transplant issue, but the "guy" guy thing is pretty much over from what I see. Take a look in a biker bar, lol! Pretty much "guy" guys there!!! most with earrings. I know numerous straight macho guys with one or two in one ear and other guys with one in each ear. pierced mine this year and Love It. Silver or gold mini ball(s) at work or such, and what ever I want with friends or at home. Love the dangley ones! Maybe three pointed comments total (two by guys I expected it from), and @three compliments. Haven't lost a customer or friend because of them yet... Same with the new ponytail :thumbsup:

Huggs

Michelle

• Admin

There are clip on earrings that look like pierced earrings, especially with longer hair. They are cute and will do the job. You have to ask for them, but Macy's, J.C Penney, and a few of the larger Target stores have them. I know someone who also has the anti rejection meds in them, but they were able to get their doctor's nurse to do it in that office, so that the infection issue was minimized, and the doctor could keep an eye on it. It will depend on your doctor and health at the time.

Guest Robyn G

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I've had pierced ears since I was seventeen and I used part of a Band-Aid to cover them up. What I would do was cut off the padded part so I'd be left with two adhesive ends. If they were the cloth (I think) Band-Aids, they could be molded to my ear lobe and would only be noticeable if you were standing next to me.

Taking them out during the first few months is a bad idea. I know someone who got an infection and they had to stop wearing earrings altogether.