• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your Favorite Album

Guest NatashaJade

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Sally

• Paula ult

• Carolyn Marie

Certainly..."Surrealistic Pillow"...Jefferson Airplane....

I have a great story related to Jefferson Airplane. A number of years ago there was a concert in New Haven that had the Airplane and Chuck Berry on the bill. The Airplane was on before Chuck and I was there with a bunch of my friends who were there for Airplane (I was there to heare Chuck). The concert was held in a hockey arena with the tunnel all around the rink. While the Airplane was on I went for a walk around the tunnel and came across a door with a very large black man standing in it. I asked him, "Is Mr Berry in there?" He answered Yes. I said, "I would love to meet him and tell him how much I love his music." The guy in the door said, "Well come on in." and he stepped aside to let me pass. I walked in and there were some chairs and a sofa and Chuck Berry and some of his band were sitting around having some beers.

I approached Chuck and told how much I loved his music and thanked him for his contribution to rock and roll. He said thanks, gave a beer, and said "Sit awhile and lets get to know each other." I sat there for about 15 minutes talking with the GOD of rock and roll like he was just another guy drinking a beer with him. Then I went back to my seat and told my friends what had happened. To this day those guys don't believe me but it is absolutely true.

Chuck Berry came on and was awesome. He played Roll Over Beatoven and some youngster about three rows back said very loudly, "Hey why is that black guy playing that Beatles song?" My friends and I all told him he had that a little wrong and had a good laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

There are a lot of threads about songs for this and that (i.e. your favorite song to week to while eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's, etc.). But we rarely address whole albums anymore. I remember back before Ipods, I would put a CD in my stereo, put my headphones on and listen to an album all the way through. Find those little gem songs that the artists put in, but never get any radio play. Sometimes the album is conceptual and each song adds to a greater work of art. The fact is, that with randomizers, play lists and buying songs one song at a time, we miss the whole work, which is often greater than the sum of its parts.

60's - Abby Road - Beatles

70's - Animals - Pink Floyd

80's - Calm Animals - The Fixx

90's - 99.9f - Susan Vega

00's - Them Crooked Vultures

Cindy -

I love Quantum by planet X. Every track is amazingly intricate and beautiful, I can listen to it and relate no matter what mood I am in. Top tier musicianship and complex composition with no sacrifice to emotion.

[The drummer doesn't want to make a new album because they don't make any money, so please go check them out. You'll do the world a favor if you help persuade them.]

Tied for second are Octavarium by Dream Theater and Meddle by Floyd.

My favorite albums would fill a room - they did, I had over 5000 albums before I had to sell them all.

So many different groups that I loved and no one else ever heard of.

Here are a few that are very special for very different reasons.

Don Ellis - Soaring (a rare non-electronic album by this amazing big band)

Jeff Sturges and Universe - Self titled - Rock for big band - with songs like Mountain's Mississippi Queen

Michael Nesmith - Infinite Rider On The Big Dogma - featured in Elephant Parts - the first made for video collection.

PDQ Bach - An Historic Return - featuring Professor Peter Shickle's Unbegun Symphony

Love ya,

Sally

1970s: Rush - 2112, Rush - Hemispheres, Yes - Going for the One

1980s: T-Ride - T-Ride, Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory, Crimson Glory - Transcendence, Winterhawk - Revival, King Diamond - Abigail, Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

1990s: Artension - Phoenix Rising, Jeff Buckley - Grace, Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk, Midnight - Sakada, Death - The Sound of Perseverence, Death - Symbolic

2000s: Lost Horizon - Awakening the World, Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath, The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath, The Mars Volta - Amputechture, Pain of Salvation - BE, Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor, Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy

2010: Grand Illusion - Brave New World.

Absolute favorites of each era are highlighted!

<3

Took awhile but I got it down to just a few.

Free to a Good Home - Sparrowsound

Operation: Mindcrime - Queensrÿche

Discovery - Daft Punk

Stereo Type A - Cibo Matto

Guest Jennifer RachaelAnn

Believe - Disturbed

Indestructible - Disturbed

Cherry Pie - Warrant

Minutes To Midnight - Linkin Park

Mirror Mirror - Twiztid

The Wraith - Insane Clown Posse

Krimson Creek - Boondox

Queen Of The Damned Soundtrack

Phantom Of The Opera Soundtrack

Those are the ones that hold the most for me.

Jennifer RachaelAnn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LazyLinePainterJane

As far as albums that I could listen to the whole way through without stopping, I'd have to include Joanna Newsom's "Ys" and Belle and Sebastian's "If You're Feeling Sinister" (really most of B&S's releases deserve to be listened to in one sitting), though I'm sure I could think of a lot more.

I also agree that it's important to experience an album the way the musicians had intended it - that's also part of why I'm so anti-piracy and pro-actual album buying. With mp3s you lose the CD/case design, artwork, linear notes, etc.

Guest Donna Jean

With mp3s you lose the CD/case design, artwork, linear notes, etc.

I totally miss the 33 1/3 albums....The covers could be read and you could look at the artwork and liner notes!

No such thing anymore

Donna Jean

Guest Melanie Dawn

Master of puppets- metallica

the sickness-disturbed

sound of madness- shinedown

screaming for vengeance- judas priest (first metal album I ever heard)

I'm sure i'm missing a bunch

OH, i love this thread. Anything art or music that allows our souls to shine is great.

Larks Tongues in Aspec by King Crimson

All albums from Sonic Youth. they are my ultra fav.

UmmaGumma by Pink Floyd.

200 Motels by Zappa

The madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart

Pretties For You by Alice Cooper

Remain in Light by Talking Heads

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back by Public Enemy

The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks

and soooo many more..

OH, i love this thread. Anything art or music that allows our souls to shine is great.

Larks Tongues in Aspec by King Crimson

All albums from Sonic Youth. they are my ultra fav.

UmmaGumma by Pink Floyd.

200 Motels by Zappa

The madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart

Pretties For You by Alice Cooper

Remain in Light by Talking Heads

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back by Public Enemy

The Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks

and soooo many more..

You have an awesome taste in music=]

Guest miss kindheart

My favorite albums were all of the Moody Blues Albums :)

Days Of Future Passed

In Search of the Lost Chord

On the Threshold of a Dream

To Our Children's Children's Children

A Question of Balance

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Seventh Sojourn

Each one sounded like a book of dreams to me. truly works of art :wub:

:wub: vanna

• Forum Moderator

Days Of Future Passed

A Question of Balance

Agreed Vanna, they just had some of the best vocal harmonies and arrangements !

:D

Guest Donna Jean

Days Of Future Passed

A Question of Balance

Ditto...and I have most of those, too...

I saw them in Fla. In 1973....

Donna Jean

Believe - Disturbed

Indestructible - Disturbed

Cherry Pie - Warrant

Minutes To Midnight - Linkin Park

Mirror Mirror - Twiztid

The Wraith - Insane Clown Posse

Krimson Creek - Boondox

Queen Of The Damned Soundtrack

Phantom Of The Opera Soundtrack

Jennifer RachaelAnn

Wow thats a list of some awesome albums

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Heavens! How to answer this? Could name about 100 of 'em, and that's just warmin' up!

My very favorite of all faves? Hmmm, ... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-YICwcQPk

Best 10+ minutes ever recorded in the rock genre, IMHO!

:D Lacey Lynne

Agreed ! Creme' de la Creme' of 1969. Very well thought out production !

Guest JustShelly

ACDC-Back in Black- wore that one out, also Highway to Hell

Supertramp-Breakfast in America- listened to it for breakfast every morning before school.

Guest Guest_SL

My favorite albums would fill a room - they did, I had over 5000 albums before I had to sell them all.

So many different groups that I loved and no one else ever heard of.

Here are a few that are very special for very different reasons.

Don Ellis - Soaring (a rare non-electronic album by this amazing big band)

Jeff Sturges and Universe - Self titled - Rock for big band - with songs like Mountain's Mississippi Queen

Michael Nesmith - Infinite Rider On The Big Dogma - featured in Elephant Parts - the first made for video collection.

PDQ Bach - An Historic Return - featuring Professor Peter Shickle's Unbegun Symphony

Love ya,

Sally

We're doing this same thing on a different site. Da Nez was and is vastly underrated. Live at the Palais is great and it took forever to release it on cd.

Emily Remler, the brilliant guitarist.

Richard Thompson, Two Letter Words and Mock Tudor

Mannasas, Mannasas

After The Gold Rush, Neil Young

We're Only in it for the Money, FZ&MI

Happy Trails, Quicksilver Messenger Service

Outlaws, Outlaws

East Bay Grease, Tower of Power

All Day Music, War

Return to Forever, Chick Corea

Albert Collins, Live at Montreaux

Rory Gallagher, Irish Tour '74

Chet Baker, In a Soulful Mood

ZZ Top, Fandango

White Stripes, Icky Thump

Put Yourself in My Place, Pam Tillis

Mendicino, Sir Douglas Quintet

Marianne Faithfull, BBC Sessions

Peter Greens Original Fleetwood Mac, BBC Sessions

LZ II, LZ

The La's, The La's

Roy Buchanan, Live Stock

Beach Boys, Pet Sounds

Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy, Live

....I could do this for hours. Then start on classical.

Sara Lee