• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Had My First Laser Session Today

Sally

OK, I had that first session today and while I must say that it hurts a but less than electrolysis painless it ain't!

Someone told me that it would feel like getting snapped with a rubber band - if that is the case they were using a rubber band that could launch a Space Shuttle.

I had really not worked on a Tuesday since I started on this job the two exceptions both brought me in at 2 PM or after so a 10:30 appointment didn't make me need to fill out a schedule request and i would still be able to go in as myself and then come home before going to work, right?

Not a chance - start at noon so I had to go in male work mode but the ladies were very nice and when my technician, Lisa came over to introduce herself she asked me what I would like to be called, I replied that I would prefer to be called Sally, her response was, "OK, Sally would you follow me please."

We walked down the hall and into a rather spacious room with nothing in it but a table, a chair for the technician and the laser - I laid down on the table and we discussed my fair skin and Lisa gave me a little time as she wanted me to relax a bit more and assured me that she would be able to get me to work on time even with the additional time for the numbing cream to work.

I mentioned to Lisa that I had a couple of tiny scars from my electrolysis attempt and while noting that anyone who could burn you with electrolysis was not very good she did lower the power on the first unnumbed test because of my fair skin - YIKES!

She then applied the cream and turned the lights down low, turned on some soft music and told me to just relax while the cream was taking effect as she left the room she told me that the room could get a bit warm at times so she was going to leave the door open.

When she came back we started for real, she looked at the test spot and it was a bit too red for her liking so she turned the power down just a bit more - the first zap showed that the cream was working - this snap would have been from a rubber band that could barely move a freight train, the next was on the heaviest concentration of dark hairs that I have - WOW!

She decreased the power another setting and said that we would start with a much lower power for a couple of sessions and slowly work it up in each session as my skin becomes more accustomed to the laser - she wants to remove the hair but does not want to leave any burns or scarring.

It wasn't really too bad but it isn't anything that I would want to do as a hobby or to relax.

I scheduled my next appointment, went to work and filled out a time off request for that day - I am not going in as male again!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest chngnwnd

If it makes you feel any better, I cried through my entire session the last time I had a laser treatment - and I go again Friday (most likely with higher power).

Hang in there, it is worth the pain.

hugs

Bobbi

Guest Donna Jean

Wonderful, Sally....

You are finally getting it all done. Good for you....

Well, as a girl of many hours of electrolysis, I know the pain for gain equation...

You're not very much in need of massive amounts of Laser...it'll go fast, Honey...

Hang in there, girlfriend...

LOVE & HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

Sally I am so happy that you have started. The pain is definately there during each session. I tried the cream but after a few sessions it just wasn't helping that much.

I am now over 10 sessions in and let me tell you it really hurts because of the intensity level they have it set at. I always have tears come to my eyes.

I just can't tell though wich hurts more between Laser and Electrolysis. I think it is a toss up.

I hope your skin starts to get used to the laser so they can turn it up and get rid of those nasty little hairs.

They actually hurt about the same but with laser it is only about 20 bursts for the entire chin where elctro is - how many thousands?

Love ya,

Sally

• Admin

Good for you, Sally! Well, you know the saying, no pain, no... well, like I said, you know the saying.

Did they give you chemical ice packs to use afterwards? Those help me, along with the gel lotion skin care product.

But everyplace is different.

It does work, girl. Slowly, yes, but it does work.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

They didn't give me nothin' but then I didn't have any redness or any pain afterward, just when the laser fired.

Lizzy dragged me out into the Sun today - all over the French Quarter - I stayed in the shade but we even ate on a balcony by the statue of Joan of Ark and in the court yard of Pat O'Brien's where Lizzy learned that one Hurricane is beyond her limit now.

I did stay in the shade and had a wonderful day.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Miss_Construe

OK, I had that first session today and while I must say that it hurts a but less than electrolysis painless it ain't!

Someone told me that it would feel like getting snapped with a rubber band - if that is the case they were using a rubber band that could launch a Space Shuttle.

... sorry ... :blush:

I am afraid that I have perpetuated that here at some point. I agree that it doesn't feel great. Not a friendly snap, but more like you trashed your older brother's room and now he is sitting on top of you, pulling a fresh rubber band back as far as it will go and snapping while repeatedly asking "why are you hitting yourself?"

I have only had one session, but now my 9am shadow doesn't look like someone else's two day growth. I have been letting my beard grow wild since it is actually some pretty good sun protection and it is a half-hour walk to work, and 2 weeks post session my beard was falling out in handfuls. Now it doesn't really grow, and I can say that I am really happy about that :D <'SQUEEE'>.

Amy

Guest NatashaJade

They didn't give me nothin' but then I didn't have any redness or any pain afterward, just when the laser fired.

Lizzy dragged me out into the Sun today - all over the French Quarter - I stayed in the shade but we even ate on a balcony by the statue of Joan of Ark and in the court yard of Pat O'Brien's where Lizzy learned that one Hurricane is beyond her limit now.

I did stay in the shade and had a wonderful day.

Love ya,

Sally

Awesome, Sally. Y'all know it is a dream of mine to share a rum beverage with the two of you down in the French Quarter someday (or at least a chickory coffee). Be sure to wear a good sunblock. I use Olay Complete. It has an SPF 15. As far as the pain, don't worry. It gets much much worse. I didn't cry when we started but now, whenever she gets to my upper lip, well, as Dee Jay says, DANG!!! The tears do flow.

But it's worth it!!!

love

Gin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NatashaJade

Just had my second session and it was a lot less intense pain wise.

Well, my dear, I just had my 10th and while she only worked on the area around my mouth, I was crying. But I had some extra time on the clock, so I had her clean up my hands a little where the epilator was failing to kill off some hairs and then she zapped my eyebrows a bit to start my slow process of taming that area for good. But the longer you go, the more stubborn the hairs left are and the higher the settings are. Fun!

xoxo

Gin

For me the 1st was the most painful, and then the 7th one. I have had 7 up to now. The last one was solely the mustache. To me it felt like someone poured boiling water over my face. I can't see where that rubber-band idea comes from, the feeling was far from it. Yeah, maybe on your chest it might feel like a rubber band, but try the mustache and it 'l be another story.