• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving Legs, How Often?

Guest Jade Camp.

Guest Jade Camp.

Hey, just a quick question: I've just shaved my legs for the first time, and I was wondering about how often I'll have to repeat in order to keep them nice! Also, wham a razor says disposable, does that mean that there 1 use only? How do I know when I'll need to buy a new one? Thanks, love you all

Jade.

• Admin

Jade, how often can vary among different people. My guess is, once every week to two weeks if you are not on hormones yet.

Disposable razors should be good for at least 2-3 uses, unless they are really crappy. If you feel it starting to pull, instead

of shaving smoothly, or you start getting a lot of nicks, then its time to change.

An investment in a good 3-4 blade razor with changeable cartridges is probably a better bet, but they can be expensive.

Carolyn Marie

I shave my arms and legs every day. And the rest of my body twice a week. I can't stand body hair at all. And when the hair starts to get rough, like not shaving your face for a couple days, it drives me bananas and I have to shave. But that's just me. I use Venus Embrace, a 5 blade razor. It is very expensive but I get about a weeks worth of use out of each shaving head. The key is to make sure the head is clean where hair doesn't start accumulating in the blades. I clean them with a q-tip. Also make sure you exfoliate your skin before you start shaving. I use Olay exfoliating soap.

Jenny

Guest Robin Winter

Jade, how often can vary among different people. My guess is, once every week to two weeks if you are not on hormones yet.

Disposable razors should be good for at least 2-3 uses, unless they are really crappy. If you feel it starting to pull, instead

of shaving smoothly, or you start getting a lot of nicks, then its time to change.

An investment in a good 3-4 blade razor with changeable cartridges is probably a better bet, but they can be expensive.

Carolyn Marie

Every week to two weeks????? Bah....I wish.

Some say every day, but I find I can't shave more than once every two or three days, because it irritates my skin so much. Once your skin grows accustomed to it, if you aren't quite as sensitive to it as I am, you should be able to shave every day without issue. If you wanna stay smooth, you'll have to. I also find, unlike pretty much everyone else on the planet, that I get better results with a slightly dull razor. I don't cut myself with it, and it doesn't cause as much razor burn and the subsequent ingrown hairs. So I always use my razors a few times on my face first to wear them down a little.

I much prefer to wax, when I find the time to do so. It lasts a few weeks, it leaves you much smoother, and there's far less chance you'll get ingrown hairs which are both ugly and painful.

I would say the very best option, if you can handle a little pain, would be to get an epilator, like a Braun Silk Epil(The one I plan to get, very good reviews). You get the same results as waxing, but in the long run it's FAR cheaper(provided you maintain it properly), cleaner, and a little more effective (I.E. you won't miss as many hairs, and you can use an epilator on hair that is shorter than you can when waxing). But, an epilator is probably the most immediately painful method, and it takes more time to do it. I don't consider it as painful as shaving or depilatory creams though, because I personally am very prone to ingrown hairs, and they hurt a lot, for a lot longer.

I dunno, maybe try some different things and see what works best for you.

Guest Elizabeth K

Pre HRT? At least once a week. (stubble trouble)

Post HRT - varies - usually at two years, with a good response - once a month, and really more to get that shiney look by removing dead skin. Your hair is like that leg hair of a natal woman. It is one of the better results of HRT - little body hair.

Lizzy

Guest sarah f

I shave about once a week. Before hormones I was shaving two times a week. It all depends on how fast your hair grows back.

I would suggest a 3 blade razor. That is what I use and seems to last at least 3 to 4 shavings.

Good Luck

Guest Donna Jean

Post HRT - varies - usually at two years, with a good response - once a month, and really more to get that shiney look by removing dead skin. Your hair is like that leg hair of a natal woman. It is one of the better results of HRT - little body hair.

Lizzy

Like Lizzy, I only need to "touch up" once a week in the shower...21 months on HRT does that to your hair....

Donna Jean

Guest NatalieRene

Lizzy

I've noticed the same thing. My leg hair is much finer now and it grows much slower. I used to have to shave at least once a week before starting hormones and early on but now I might shave every other week to keep things looking nice. However I am a huge fan of bubble baths and I use that to remove the dead skin. :D