• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Epilator That Doesn't Get Ingrown Hair

Guest chibi_usa

Guest chibi_usa

Is there a good and (if possible) cheap that doesn't get you ingrown hair easily? I have read some reviews on epilators and they say that the hair either breaks off or they get ingrown hair.

Guest Robin Winter

The braun silk epil comes the most highly recommended. As far as hair breaking off, well, that has some to do with technique. My understanding is that you need to take it very slowly, and if it's, say, a multi-speed epilator, the slower speed is actually better, for that reason.

As for ingrown hairs, hairs that don't come out at the root will play a part in that, but really it comes down to your own skin. Some people are just more prone to it, though you can help keep it minimal by making sure to exfoliate every day, keep those pores clear of oils, dirt and cosmetics. I actually use an exfoliating acne wash on areas that are more prone to ingrown hairs, because the salicylic acid will clear pores, help keep them clear, kill bacteria, and promote new cell growth. It seems to help quite a bit.

Guest Jean Davis

Hi honey

Try using lotion the night before you epilate and take a warm shower before epilating. This will help with the breaking hair issue. Then use the lotion after also to help with the ingrown hairs, after you epilate for a month or so you will have fewer problems as the hair thins and the roots become weaker. You can also try a "Loofa sponge" to help clean away any dead skin that may be causing the ingrown hairs.

Hope this helps ;)

LUV

Jean

• 1 month later...
Guest Melanie N

I use the Braun silk Epi...a nice unit with the light to see fine hairs. I get some ingrown hairs and find that exfoliation is the key! Alos, the longer you use the epilator, the better the results and the fewer ingrown hairs you get. YMMV, but all the advice given thus far is spot on. As for the ingrown hairs, you just have to watch for them as they appear and remove them quickly....but they do get better with time.