• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Video Game Characters -- What Do You Play?

Guest Exeter

When playing video games, do you prefer male or female characters?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. I prefer to play male characters and I'm...

• ... a straight FtM.
    • ... a bisexual FtM.
    • ... a gay FtM.
    • ... a straight MtF.
    • ... a bisexual MtF.
    • .... a gay MtF.
    • ... other.
    • ... does not apply
  2. 2. I prefer to play female characters and I'm...

• ... a straight FtM.
    • ... a bisexual FtM.
    • ... a gay FtM.
    • ... a straight MtF.
    • ... a bisexual MtF.
    • .... a gay MtF.
    • ... other.
    • ... does not apply
  3. 3. I have no preference or play both and I'm...

• ... a straight FtM.
    • ... a bisexual FtM.
    • ... a gay FtM.
    • ... a straight MtF.
    • ... a bisexual MtF.
    • .... a gay MtF.
    • ... other.
    • ... does not apply

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andro-Ruu1991

I found this a really hard question, I'm an Androgynous male and I prefer using characters just based on their weapon, skill and personality be it male or female :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have played lots of games and still do... When there is a choise between male/female character, I always tend to choose

the female for the first play through, but if the game is good and if the gender changes how things play out, I usually do try

out the other options as well...

When reading other peoples replies here, I got the impression that people feel they need to keep their choise of character

hidden from others for some reason? While I am definitely deep within my closet about my crossgender feelings, and some

intrests, I have never felt any need to hide the fact that I prefer female characters in videogames... :huh:

Straight MtF and I prefer to play games as a Female if given the choice. As I have begun to transition it's harder for me to play games that require me to be male and I generally avoid such games, like Batman Arkham City, apparently you can play as Catwoman which is cool! but... the game doesn't interest me pretty much at all because it's about Batman, not Cat woman, despite the fact that it's going to be a really awesome game.

The other night I was playing Gears of War, King of the Hill PvP... I was forced to be Marcus, as usual. This huge, body builder like guy with who is over all hyper masculine to the extreme who grosses me out to begin with...(Marcus is cool I just have no desire to be him). All of my teammates were also Marcus, Baird or Dom, and all the enemy Locusts were males also (for those who don't know Locust forces can now also be queen Myrrah!) Anyways... all the huge, bristling muscled male bodies and not even a drop of estrogen literally gave me a headache and began to make me feel dysphoric in a physical sense that I was also becoming nauseous. I had to quit that match because I couldn't stand it anymore, and i generally don't quit even when losing.

Most of the time I don't mind playing males as long as it's not some hyper masculine, stereotypical type character and it's someone fairly likeable. Generally though, I avoid games without the right to choose in at least PvP aspects and the like. I just have a much harder time playing games that force me to be characters I can't stand or just have no interest in. I think one of the most fun games I've played in a long time that only allowed me to be a man was Red Dead Redemption. I truly had a blast with that game, being forced to play John Marston and all.

Gaming is one of the major ways I spend my free time, though as I move on through my transition and I begin to pass better I hope to step away from such intense gaming. For now though, it's as a Female or generally but not always, nothing. Oh, Female or animal/ambiguous/genderless/ or openly gay (Zhang He on Dynasty Warriors) characters I'll play.

My profile picture is a female avatar from Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty, so you can probably take a good guess at what I voted. In fact, as soon as I knew this portrait was unlockable within the game, I went in a rush to get it.

With very few exceptions, I almost always prefer female characters. I used to have some more variety in WoW, with both males and females, but not anymore. Actually, I think there are only two exceptions to this

- In Diablo II, I have at least one imba build for each class (like the "thorny paladin" that kills game bosses by just being hit).

- The idea of a walking eye with a rocket launcher is just so absurd I can't let it pass! (that's the Orb character in Quake 3: Arena... classics live forever!).