• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Smoking

Guest Kathy Lou

Guest NadineB

I need to quit too, if you want to ever chat and talk about it, share what helps or what doesn't, feel free to contact me. My quit date is the new year, Jan 1st. If you want a website which is very helpful may I suggest whyquit.com

Good luck and just know your not alone in this battle

Luv Nadine

Guest Kirsty H

I've been told that I have to quit in order to begin HRT. Apparently this is something Charing Cross in the UK insist on. I'm doing well with cutting down but I haven't fully stopped yet, but I'm hopeful that I will.

I have been mostly successful in quitting smoking.

I used sheer willpower alone, no pills or aids.

I simply decided that Pamela will not make the same mistakes that her predecessor did. This time, I'm gonna get life RIGHT!

Also, I wonder if *he* was simply trying to commit a slow version of suicide due to his dysphoria?

I'm here for you too!

Love

Pamela

Guest NadineB

I tried chantix, I became very aggressive and agitated all the time. Then tried welbutrin and had suicidal ideations. So this time it's cold turkey and as you say Pamela, Nadine is not going to be a smoker. I am adamant I am going to stop, and that's besides the medical reasons. I may just call on you for some help Pamela. I am getting a piggy bank to throw cigarette money into for surgery.

Luv Nadine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Elizabeth K

I just have this kinda unsympathetic question:

HOW can you survive all the hard choices and terrible losses to transition, if you CANNOT manage to work up the will to stop smoking?

Lizzy

(Yes - I quit and it was difficult - and that was many years ago)

Quitting is hard! I tried and tried and tried for long time. Thought that I would never be able to stop.

But I have been smoke free and nicotine free since last February.

I used Chantix for a month. Slept as much as I could. Kept reminding myself I needed to do this to help afford all the costs I was looking forward to if I wanted to transition.

Just held on. I wish I knew what I could say to make it easier :-( but I just know that it is possible! you might feel like you are going to crazy for a bit but yep, can be done.

Keep trying!

:-)

Guest Elizabeth K

People? PLEASE quit smoking! You need to be smoke-free, especially when you face the tremendous challanges you will find if you act upon your gender dysphoria.

Quiting smoking and facing gender dysphoria, is like comparing a paper dollar to a 100 dollar gold piece. Quit looking for excuses - and stop smoking now.

Lizzy

I just decided to quit cold turkey and went through the physical hell. The first two weeks were hell. The addiction effects every cell in your body. You have to take it a minute at a time and resist. That will come to one day. Then another day. When I quit the first two weeks I had to fight through constant physical addiction. Then the physical addiction started coming in waves. You find you mind doesn't think about smoking and then the urge hits. The urge became less and less and within a month I had the physical addiction conquered. That doesn't mean the urge won't come back. But that is mostly mental. However the urge always comes back when I breathe in second hand smoke. There is a minor physical addiction that goes away fairly quickly. I'm sorry that I won't stay around those who smoke, but I don't want to start again.

As a child my mother used to smoke in the car. I can't think of a worse case scenario where you feel trapped. Of course today I would stop every once in a while to let the smoker step outside and smoke. If I rode with someone who smoked in the car I would ask to be let out. I literally can't stand being trapped with cigarette smoke. It effects me in a way that the desire to smoke increases.

Jenny

Guest KellyKat

'Taint easy but I'm doing my best.

Mostly cold turkey but have puffed some stale pipe tobacco.

Went from two packs last Monday to gagging on a puff today.

Sense of smell seems to be getting better too.

I'm fine around other smokers. After meal cravings are the worst.

So I'm trying to fast today and tomorrow.

Need to diet too.

Luv Kat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Kathy Lou,,hope you have kicked the habit by now . If not there is a book

written by a British guy which is very good . Way it works is as you read

say 20 pages a day the book ""gets into your head""and debunks the lies

you are made to believe re smoking - biggest con on the planet !!. May

be against rules and regs to advertise on the forum so pm me if you want

the name of the book,,,,,,,it works . luv,viv.

ps,,,,you are allowed to smoke while reading so no cold turkey .

My last puff was July 7th, 1987 at 10 minutes until 10Am in England. At my peak, I'd been a 3 pack a day smoker. I had tried about 5 times before, but this time I used those little cigars that came about 5 to a pack. I realized one day that I really only took about 5 or 6 puffs of the cigarette and if I was working on models or something, I'd usually let one burn up in the ash tray. So what I did was light the cigar, take a puff or two, then put it out and wait as long as I could before doing it again.

I also only bought one pack at a time. Knowing that I only had a limited supply until the next time I'd leave the house helped to keep it under control. As the weeks passed, I felt I had a better control over my smoking. Then after work one morning at about 7Am on the 7th, I stopped at a shopette and bought 5 packs for some reason. Therefore breaking my one pack at a time rule.

Sitting at home I chewed myself out for buying 5. So about 9:30, I lit my last one and then I began to open the packs one at a time. I took each one out and broke it in several pieces and placed each piece into the ashtry as I broke it off. By the time I finished breaking all but the one I had lit and puffed on a couple of times, the ash tray was piled high.

Then taking one last puff, I put it out, broke it up and making sure that the fire was out, I took the ashtray outside and threw the whole lot into the trash. I told the wife I had quit. But that wasn't the end of it.

The next day, I felt the urge and told the wife not to be angry if I had to bum a smoke from someone. She did get angry and told me to just go buy some and get it over with. The lack of support made me angry and it was just what I needed to prove her wrong. :ThanxSmiley::-)

The monkey was on my back hard for about 2 and a half days, then suddenly it was gone. I did still have the urge to light up every now and then, but I didn't. To this day, I have dreams that I've started again for some stupid reason and I'm always relieved to wake up and find I'm still smoke free.

And having grown up with parents that smoked, I never noticed the smoke that hung in my home, the smell in my clothes, or the smell of walking into a clean room filled with smokers. Looking back, I can't believe that anyone would willing kiss me with that on my breath. But I realized that we become used to the smells we live with. As do those we live or work with.

There are still times I crave a cigarette but at todays cost, I couldn't afford it and my other hobbies. When I quit, a carton cost me $3.00, now days, I understand that a pack cost more than that. So, if you quit, think about putting the money you're spending on smoking into a savings/vacation/hobby fund and learn to do something else with you hands. For me, it was model building. Give it a try.

Good Luck and don't quit quitting. It took me 6 serious attempts.

dk

Thanks Lizzy,,,,,name of the book is " Alan Carr"s Easy Way to Stop Smoking".

This book works , put you best effort in and you will soon be free of the

weed ,,,,,,viv.

I quit smoking January 15th of last year and have been smoke free since after 41 years. I had tried welbutrin, the patch, Chantix (suicidal) and Nicotine gum a dozen times. The thing that finally worked for me was "Nictrol Inhaler" which is by Doctor's prescription. What kept me quit was that my girlfriend developed asthma. She later had an aortic tear. You see my smoking hurt others. While she did knowingly meet me and live with me as the smoker I was for years I never expected it would hurt her. I had a choice, her or smoking and not by ultimatum either. I decided on my own as her coughing increased.

Laura