• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Awkward Incident + Propecia Question

Guest Nicole163

Guest Krissy163

Hey all!

Ok, so my doctor has called me out some Propecia. Here is something just plain awkward, I called the pharmacy to find out how much it would be. I had to give them my insurance info (mind you I'm still using military insurance - Tricare). The ENTIRE time I was being called ma'am this or ma'am that anytime they had to address me TWO different people lol. So here I am, using my male name with military insurance getting a product for men...being called ma'am. I suppose they thought I was the wife or something filling it. Its just funny how things just start happening without you even realizing it, until people start referring to you in the other gender you're like "OMG!"

So on to the main reason I'm posting, has anyone experienced pretty decent hair regrowth for male pattern baldness with Propecia? I've been using the Rogaine Foam for about 2 months and am starting to see results, the doctor said I can use Propecia with the topical stuff like Rogaine for added benefits so that's what I'm going to do. I was just curious if anyone has seen something from using it. I know most of us girls here with hair loss are fully engaged in finding a solution that yields results, I suppose the term YMMV is also true here depending on receptors or whatever else...but at the same time you have to wonder just how effective it is in real world application. I know if I could stop using the foam I would, it gets annoying at times an something taken orally would be ALOT better. I suppose I'll be able to stop the foam once I start hormones in a month or two (hopefully).

With Love,

Kris <3

Guest miss kindheart

Hi krissy,

<<<< hug >>>>

HRT does help with your hair loss, You should get some regrowth after a while :)

I found this information on the net and think it interesting .

Does Retin-A assist in hair growth?

Tretinoin is sold under the trademark Retin-A. Retin-A was originally used in the treatment of acne and other skin disorders. Studies have shown however that Retin-A alone or in combination with minoxidil can result in moderate to good hairgrowth in individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata.

Retin-A has been shown to effect cell proliferation and vascular proliferation. Studies have shown that Retin-A alone can result in good to moderate hairgrowth. The effect that Retin-A or Tretinoin has on growing hair is even more enhanced when used in combination with topical minoxidil. Dr Adam Lewenberg who markets a combination of minoxidil and tretinoin which is known as the Lewenberg formula carried out studies and recorded results of treatments carried out on patients. Dr Adam Lewenberg treated 484 people with a mixture of topical minoxidil and tretinoin. After two years of treatment "cosmetically satisfying" results were obtained in about 90% of these people. In an article written by Dr Lewenberg about his studies, Dr Lewenberg noted the following.

Unlike Minoxidil which effects on the vertex of the scalp, the combination of Tretinoin and Minoxidil results in hair growth in all regions of the scalp.

Also maintenance therapy requires less frequent and smaller doses of the combined medication.

The third point that Dr Lewenberg noted is that the combination treatment of topical Minoxidil and Retin-A is highly effective in women.

You might talk to your Dr about it :)

:wub: vanna

Guest Elizabeth K

Well - I am not on hair regrowth products - good genetics I suspect, but the HRT has started some new growth in the 'widow's peak' area. So you may get that.

Pharmacy? Yes - always ma'am'd - fun isn't it! I also have been signing my credit card reciepts with my real name (female) and have never been questioned. We are what we seem to be... to clerks and waiters. THAT is something that feels so gooooooood.

Lizzy

Guest NatashaJade

Mostly the finesteride has stopped me from losing more hair. I had hoped for more regrowth, but there has not been too much except in the crown area and a little in the widow's peak area.

xoxo

Tasha

• Admin

Kris, I've been taking Finesteride for 11 months, and I think its slowed or stopped

my hair loss at the crown, but I don't think anything has come back, even a little.

But, everyone is different, so give it a try.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Krissy163

Thanks, I've been on it for a few days now. I imagine once I go in for my checkup with my doctor to start hormones (now that I've had all the tests done) she'll review the Propecia and either keep me on that or switch me to something else...different doctors like different things so hopefully there's SOMETHING out there that can deliver some results for me. The Rogaine foam is working, now that I'm over 2 months in I am seeing some results. Getting something to compliment the topical solution is certainly high up on my list because I know it takes time to deliver results.

The side effects aren't all that great for the typical "male", however, I see no harm in them because well...I think most girls around here get my drift. Has anyone here actually experienced those side effects such as impotence/decreased sex drive things like that before starting hormones? According to the actual clinical trials published its a VERY small percentage, although, when you start searching you end up running across all kinds of websites actually protesting the drug manufacturer (Merck), and the drug (Propecia) claiming that the incidence rate is much higher than published findings.

My only concern with this is possible sperm banking before I start hormone therapy, I haven't noticed anything significant yet but I'm monitoring things. I will probably start banking in the next month due to my actual date I'll start hormones will probably be around Valentine's day (Feb. 14th).

Guest sarah f

I just started earlier this month on propecia. So far no results but I am willing to keep trying.

Good Luck an maybe with the combined effect of rogain you will see better results.