• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do You Play Games As Your Opposite Sex?

Guest ametur_poet

Guest alex-fr

I do play a female character any time available. Avatar creators usely give poor results. Mass effect has a very good face creator and is a really good sci-fi action-RPG, my favorite type of game with snowboard games like SSX and arcade racing games like burnout.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StephanieVikingGirl

• JJ

• SecretlyJessica

• Peebs

I suppose you could say how I've played games over the years is what led me into exploring my feminine side.

I wouldn't say I play female characters as a hard and fast rule, I play the character that visually strikes my fancy or just suits my style of play. However, at the very heart of the matter with rare exceptions I have always built up my female characters better where role playing games are concerned, I've ended being up more proficient and goal oriented with them, often to the point where it benefited the male characters I played in some way that wouldn't have happened had I just stuck to the male character.

So I've come to see that as a need in my real life and similarly find attaining a feminine appearance to be something that motivates me to do the things that, as a man, I just can't find the motivation to do.

I'm a big fan of the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games, lots of Atlus stuff, really, but also Final Fantasy, Metroid, Zelda, Street Fighter and mostly old school retro gaming.

Anyway, I'm a rather prolific gamer, currently with a 3DS, PSP and a Wii, but hoping to get a new PC and PS3 by summer's end. Looking foward to Catherine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Portal 2 when I have the PS3, along with catching up on Final Fantasy and Metal Gear.

I tend to gravitate instinctively towards playing as a female (character), I don't even think about it. I think the only time I haven't played as girl, when given the option, in a game is in Halo 3 (thought about it though) and Fallout 3 where I started with a girl and alternated every play-through. Back when I played World of Warcraft, I had all girl characters save like maybe 2 or 3 (out of the realm max, which I think was like 9 or something) and I hardly ever touched my guy characters. When I played the Sims in the past, I usually recreated reality as is more or less (I think once I created it where there was a guy me that was a kid and a girl me that was an adult), but I recently pulled the Sims 2 off the shelf (Don't have any of the expans) and installed it on my new computer and I'm playing with me as a girl now. I also could have played as a girl in Halo 3: ODST, but I figured it wasn't worth the work to unlock Dare (Have to beat the campaign on Legendary or something like that and I find Heroic to be almost impossible), plus I pre-ordered last minute and got Sgt. Johnson anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Midna

I love games that let you choose your character, and I alway play as female. When I was younger I used to choose male characters but only because I was worried about being made fun of if I got seen playing as a girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robyn G

I picked up The Sims 2 about a month ago and I love playing a female character. It really helps me cope with my gender dysphoria. Especially on my bad days.

Guest SummerDay

I like action adventure single player games preferably with a story. What gender I play depends on the game. Some games have a hardwired default. Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption was cool as a guy. Tomb Raider was cool as a girl. When given a choice I played Knights of the Old Republic I&II through as a girl.

Guest Strawberry Pancakes

If I have the option to play as a female I will pick one. I think I've played enough games where your some muscle bound guy who looks like he takes steroids or something like that. I love Ages of Empire, I always laugh when the priests do conversions.. Suddenly the units shirt changes color, it always makes me laugh. Now if only gender worked like that :(.

Guest Oasis

It sort of varies from game to game and how the customization is. I know in WoW I play Tauren for most of my characters and I find that Plate and most Mail gear looks better on the male taurens while Shaman gear and cloth gear looks better on female taurens. While customization does play a big factor in who I choose, I still find I choose female over male more often.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aly Kat

I play wii all the time and my mii is a girl =) or I play as yoshi in mario kart or brawl. Dunno what gender yoshi is, but s/he's so adorable!

Guest MelissaC

I play wii all the time and my mii is a girl =) or I play as yoshi in mario kart or brawl. Dunno what gender yoshi is, but s/he's so adorable!

I think Yoshi as a species can be both male and female, but the specific Yoshi that tends to show up in Mario Kart and Smash Bros and stuff is male. Either way though, it matters less with Yoshi due to the adorable factor. Plus he's a (usually) green dinosaur with the gender not being apparent anyways. He's my Kart and Smash character too, and yes it's because he's cute. ^_^

Guest Midna

xD, I've always played as Yoshi in games like Mario Kart and Mario Party. I always used to play them a lot with my brother

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shadowwalker

Even before realizing my feelings I gravitated towards female characters in RPG games with the sole exception being Pokemon games because they were portable and people would raise questions if they saw a girl character if they look over my shoulder or something :( I remember I really wanted to use a female character but I guess it'd have been too awkward to explain to people if I wanted to show them my pokemans. I didn't even know WHY I longed for a female character.

I remember being really angry about Ragnarok Online, because at the time if you create a profile with your personal data and you fill in your gender, it decides the characters you can make. At the time I didn't know this and I wasn't seriously having gender issues so I just went with "male" when making my personal profile. I was so angry I couldn't create a female character because of this lol. I eventually became this loner type of character in the game, avoiding too much social contact and only tagging along a few times whenever needed. Kinda reflected me at the time... Almost would have created a new profile just to be able to play as a female character but then again I've put too much time into my gunslinger already. :lol:

Choosing a gender opposite of your birthgender in videogames may or may not be a good trans-indicator. Most cismen would say things like "at least I can look at a nice butt" or something, but I did it because it felt good and I had the honest wish I could be this awesome girl paragon... playing a male character felt bad and whenever I tried, I'd usually give up after a while.

Guest Fiarlia

I've always played as a female, aside from games that don't allow you to choose. But in those cases it never bothered me. Kratos, for example is just plain awesome. So yeah, I always play as the gender I really am. :)

And yeah, I always used the excuse "I get to look at their butt" if anyone ever asked. Except Pokémon... cause the girl is like 10 or something. In that case I just said I didn't know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Foosnark

I've long played female charactere in rpgs.

When I did that with tabletop D&D it was often awkward, as I look male and wasn't saying I was anything else at the time. So of course when we started a new 4e D&D campaign and I had a male warlock ready to go, the DM told me about this "Sisterhood" cult in her world that was made up of identical-looking masked women and transwomen, hiding their original identities from the demons they stole their power from. She convinced me to go that way... that was awkward too but a lot of fun, and I wound up with a pretty scary character with a lot of fun quirks. I wonder if it would be less awkward now, or more?

Gamer culture is kind of a weird mix of really accepting people, and immature homophobes/transphobes convinced that we're all pervs trying to solicit cybersex with men. Um, the cybering was their idea, not mine, I just came to kill orcs. The logic, it burns.

Guest Elena

Um, the cybering was their idea, not mine, I just came to kill orcs. The logic, it burns.

ROFLMAO

I have actually said that to a guy who came on to me in WOW once. I was in town running around in one of the valentines day dresses waiting for a pvp match to start.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CrimsonessCross

Yes, I almost always create female characters when given a choice ever since I accepted being trans, it just feels right to play as the sex I should be.

Pretty much the way I think there.

I play female characters whenever possible. It makes me happy and boosts all my emotions and I can actually be myself in another world.

Guest Krisina

Second Life "3D virtual world where users can socialize, connect and create using free voice and text chat"

I play games as my true self female and in particular I am thinking of an online virtual reality world called Second Life. You choose your avatar male or female, you choose what clothes you want and then you explore the virtual world. There are areas where people do role playing games in there too but mostly its just like a virtual 3D world or it is to me.

As a female character I feel perfectly normal. I can chat with both men and women and it feels fine. They see me as female. As a female character I can be myself. I look the way I want to look and I can get any type of clothes I would want to wear in real life and they fit me too :rolleyes: There are also a couple places there on Second Life for transgender too btw that people pop into socialize.

I have tried a character that was male and with that character I tried interacting with both men and women. I didn't like it, I didn't like being in male clothes, I didn't really know what to say or do. I didn't like looking male. I tried interacting with men and women and straight and even gay and none of it felt right. I just felt blah!

If you want to know what I look like in Second Life just look at my profile avatar image I am currently using. :D

Krisina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm. I've never really thought a lot about it before. But I do tend to play games as a female character most of the time, it would probably be because I'm more comfortable with such an avatar as games can sometimes be an escape from daily frustration. Although it's not always exclusive. It usually depends on the game and which kind of character I think books better.