• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any Advice On How To Make Smooth Legs?

Guest CharliTo

Guest CharliTo

Soooo, I have one minor thing that's been bugging me lately despite how everything else in the transition is going smooth...and that is my legs.

I want it to be really nice and smooth but it's getting a lot of ingrown hairs and getting very bumpy :( I was wondering if any one else had problems w/ bumps on the legs and how you solved it :(

I'm sure I'm not the only girl that has that problem X-D

Guest Wendy

Have you tried using a shaving gek for women like Skintastic? I get the kind for sesitive skin for my husband because she has the same problem. Unfortunately even for sensitive skin doesn't get rid of all the bumps. Or maybe try something like Nair.

Guest Keira

I'm having exactly the same problem! :(

It doesn't matter whether I shave, wax or epilate, my legs are covered with razor bumps and ingrown hairs. I've tried exfoliating every day with a loofah, and that seems to help a bit. I'm also thinking of buying a special spray that I saw in the pharmacy, which is supposed to help clear them up. I figure it'll be worth a try.

Guest April

I have the same problem every time i use a razor, but i can use Nair and it is not near as bad. I have been wondering if a Epilator ( maybe i spelled it right) would be better for me than a razor.

Guest CharliTo

Haha...Nair huh? I have a great memory w/ that thing when I first started to post here... (a.k.a. how I learned never to put Nair on your face)

I think I'll give Nair a shot again ;)

Guest April
Haha...Nair huh? I have a great memory w/ that thing when I first started to post here... (a.k.a. how I learned never to put Nair on your face)

I think I'll give Nair a shot again ;)

Been there and done that ...... lol .... and if you use it on your chest hairs DO NOT GIT IT ON THE NIPPLES !!!!!! I did that on accident because i was in such a hurry. Thought i was going to have to tape some shot glasses over them to keep anything from touching them as they hurt that bad ..... lol .....

Guest Madison_Always

girl u r most definately not alone. whenever i shave i always get red bumby razor burn on my upper thighs is there any way to minimize burn?

• 2 months later...
Guest Dr.Metropolis

I totally (and literally) feel your pain.

I'm sitting right now in a bath robe because I shaved my legs for the first time yesterday (took 3 and 1/2 hours!) and my upper thighs are on FIRE!!!

I might go to shaving with an electric now that I've got the initial shave over with. I'm also thinking of (one day) getting a straight razor to shave with. They cut down (pun intended) on irritation and give you the closest shave possible. It's not without a learning curve, but I think it's be fun!

Dr M

Guest Becky Lynn

Hi, :D

I've been keeping my legs shaved for about fifteen years now. Nair is wicked stuff. I once made the same mistake and put it on my face. Holy pain in the face Batman! Worst shaving experiance I've ever had. I now use a product called Epil Stop you might have seen it on TV. I buy it from Ebay much cheaper than retail. I spread it on dry skin, wait ten minutes, then remove it in the shower with my razor much like shave cream. Rince exess off, do not soap up, leave residue on skin this helps soften skin and retard hair growth. Towel dry. I try to do this about once a week. Between times, before leaving the shower I apply baby oil on my wet skin then pat dry. The hardest part of my legs to keep hair free are my knees. The rest of my legs seem to be nice and hairless. I was thinking maybe laser hair removal would help, but it sounds like it would be kind of pricey. Anyone know about laser hair removal?

OXOXOX

Becky Lynn :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Zoharstoi
Hi, :D

I've been keeping my legs shaved for about fifteen years now. Nair is wicked stuff. I once made the same mistake and put it on my face. Holy pain in the face Batman! Worst shaving experiance I've ever had. I now use a product called Epil Stop you might have seen it on TV. I buy it from Ebay much cheaper than retail. I spread it on dry skin, wait ten minutes, then remove it in the shower with my razor much like shave cream. Rince exess off, do not soap up, leave residue on skin this helps soften skin and retard hair growth. Towel dry. I try to do this about once a week. Between times, before leaving the shower I apply baby oil on my wet skin then pat dry. The hardest part of my legs to keep hair free are my knees. The rest of my legs seem to be nice and hairless. I was thinking maybe laser hair removal would help, but it sounds like it would be kind of pricey. Anyone know about laser hair removal?

OXOXOX

Becky Lynn :)

Hello

New-be here responding to laser hair removal I have built both laser and electro devices and and laser's burn, electro

uses current to remove hair. That is all I am allowed to say. The Penwell mag. group has a publ, " Laserfocus World to

check out how the internals work, with other sites to link to and a good term search.

P.S I have been called a GEEK and am proud :)

Guest CamilaRose

Charli,

For what it's worth, lots of bio women have the same problem, there and on the hindquarters, so you're definitely not alone...I own and know how to use a straight razor (the old fashioned kind, not the disposables...yuck), but I'm not sure I'd want to use one on my legs...hmmm

Nair isn't bad, but gets expensive after a while (I've got to use a lot of it...big legs), plus it stinks.

Epliator...DEFINITELY takes some getting used to (especially on the inner thighs), but you don't have to shave for longer and it does leave your skin smoother and with less bumps, IF you do it right. I was initially doing the epliation session and then hopping in the shower, and I was getting these stupid pimples all over...plus I was left with red dots where the hair came out that sometimes lasted for DAYS. When I switched, and did it right AFTER the shower, it seemed much less painful, plus almost no red dots and NO pimples. Again, takes some getting used to, but I like it.

To deal with the existing problem, you can get body exfoliating soaps, or on a day that you don't shave, use a loofah or shower brush and some antibacterial soap (it does come in bar form, you just have to look harder) and thoroughly exfoliate. That seems to help me, although it doesn't go away altogether unless I stop shaving...ugh.

If you're going to shave, the thing that works best for me seems to be instead of shaving UP when I get to the thighs, I switch direction and go DOWN (with the hair growth). This doesn't get it quite AS close, but seems to drastically cut down on ingrown hairs and razor bumps.

Oh, and lastly...lotion. Using a quality lotion after showering seems to help as well.

Hope that helps! :)

Cami ♥

Started shaving my legs when I ws a racing bicycles. Being a cross dresser I also got a jolt of ecstasy while shaving down. What I do and have been doing sinve 1981 is hop in the good hot shower, lather up, do a prelim shave, use shaving foam,shave again and when I towel off , add body lotion and baby oil. Whew! Those legs are down right smooth... Good luck and ahve fun................Mia.

Guest Kelly Ann

loofah sponges...use it dry in a circular motion then change direction the other way, every day...not too hard though or you'll need a skin graft (-; if it's a little tight thing in vacumn plastic when you get it soak it down completely and it'll expand, as they're usually round sponges, then let it air dry. I'll use it for 1-2 months dry and then poke a hole in it put a cord through and hang the old one in the shower to use there. I use one wet and dry daily. It takes all the dead dermal cells off and will keep hairs from growing the wrong way...down-YIKES...if this happens a lot your might be using too much moisturizer...it took me a long time to figure that out...the loofah will make your skin REALLY soft as it is by itself. I only need moisturizer if there's extreem weather change or shower too much...like when I go to the beach too much. Hope this helps, Kelly Ann

Guest Sofiadragon

I highly recomend the Skintamite shave gel 'cause it is what my wife & I get, it is both inexpensive as well as very good to use & also the sensitive skin is the best that I have fouind thus far.

• 4 months later...
Guest Emily_MI

Well I finally went out and picked up some stuff at Walgreen's for me to start shaving my legs for the first time, I did pick up Skintamite shave Gel(For Dry Skin) and also Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer and also the Cleaner as well. I was a little nervous to buy some of these products, a Walgreen's clerk came up to me and asked if I needed any help (I told them I was buying them for my girlfriend, lol). I know it is going to take me FOREVER to get my first initial first time shave done so I am not looking forward to that, BUT I am getting excited to see the results after wards and also down the road when my legs start to become more and more silky smooth! :D

-Emily

Guest Elizabeth K
Well I finally went out and picked up some stuff at Walgreen's for me to start shaving my legs for the first time, I did pick up Skintamite shave Gel(For Dry Skin) and also Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer and also the Cleaner as well. I was a little nervous to buy some of these products, a Walgreen's clerk came up to me and asked if I needed any help (I told them I was buying them for my girlfriend, lol). I know it is going to take me FOREVER to get my first initial first time shave done so I am not looking forward to that, BUT I am getting excited to see the results after wards and also down the road when my legs start to become more and more silky smooth! :D

-Emily

HINT - don't moisturze too heavily before shaving - I mean to the point it clogs the blades in the razor.

Lizzy

Guest Emily_MI
HINT - don't moisturze too heavily before shaving - I mean to the point it clogs the blades in the razor.

Lizzy

Yes I have been reading that, once I start to shave more frequently I think I will switch over to Epicators which I have been reading helps(although more expensive and hurts more), but you get better results.

Guest ~Brenda~

Dear Charlito et al,

When I first started shaving, I too, had problems with redness and bumps. For me, I realized that I was pressing too hard and/or shaving too fast. Also, I was shaving prematurely before my leg hair was really soft. Hot shower or bath before shaving. Do not moisturize right before you shave!! Moisturize 12 to 24 hours before you shave. The skin has to completely absorb the moisturizer. Also, I use dual blade disposables (I know some of you detest disposables, but hey to each their own right). I use a fresh one everday. I never reuse a disposable shaver. I have not had redness nor bumps in years. Gentle touch, fresh sharp blade, softened legs,for me does the trick and I hope so for you!!

Hope this helps

LOL

bernii

Attention everyone!

Do not revert back to your macho man shop class days - orbital and belt sanders are for smooth legs on tables - not ladies!

Oohh, oohh, oohh, oohh, oh! :o

But if you must - use Binford's finest grit paper and always, always sand with the grain!

Remember - power sanders should never be used in the shower.

Shaving slowly and not pressing too hard are the best advice - unless you were considering a power sander then my advice is the best!)

Love ya,

Sally

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Emily_MI
if you can, wax your legs. if you shave you will always have some ingrown hairs.

I tried to wax my leg's over the weekend(using a home kit) and I am not sure if I was doing it wrong or not but it did really hurt and it actually left some bruising behind. So maybe in the the future I might want to leave it to a professional until I master it myself, but I do admit that I do absolutely love the results though.

Guest Elizabeth K

LONG running topic!

This is crazy - but for you transitioning on HRT, the hair on legs and arms and most everywhere - DOES get finer - and thereby tends NOT to become 'ingrown.'

Just an update - I just noticed this.

Guest Alyssa Leigh
I tried to wax my leg's over the weekend(using a home kit) and I am not sure if I was doing it wrong or not but it did really hurt and it actually left some bruising behind. So maybe in the the future I might want to leave it to a professional until I master it myself, but I do admit that I do absolutely love the results though.

Even if you go to a salon and have them do it, it can still hurt. When I first went to have it done it only hurt for the first strip she pulled off, after that I didnt feel to much of anything.

Guest Emily_MI

I expected the pain part of it but I know after doing it more and more it won't be as bad, I just do not want the bruising that I had when I did it.

Guest androgynous

I simply use a "ladyshave" which can be put close to the skin, almost no difference with razor but with one bonus: never ingrown hairs! :)