• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is This An Eating Disorder?

Guest Kira S

Guest Jon aka Rachel

Not sure if this is classified as an eating disorder in any way but when I am depressed I just feel a need to eat. When I found out I was Trans I started to eat healthier and stopped junkie food and was generally less hungry. I was also happy at the time but I have started to feel depressed lately since then the food that usually fills me is not doing the job and I feel hungry all the time. I was still eating health until tonight but I figured it had been 3 weeks one little splurge would not hurt too badly. It’s all unhealthy stuff except for the bananas. I don’t know why but I just felt the need to eat and this food just sounded best right now. I am trying to lose weight and I am just curious if it is common for depression being tied to food consumption because I have just felt hungry whenever I have been depressed in my life.

Thanks Rachel

Guest Emily Ray

Eating differently is connected with depression. I am the other way and quit eating while you choose to eat different foods than you normally would. I also wouldn't beat yourself up to much for taking a break from your diet. Just remember what your goals are and start anew tomorrow. Depression is very hard to overcome on your own and I hope you are able to seek profesional help with it.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Elizabeth K

Oh yes, it's most definitely related - my opinion actually.

Consider this, you may be using food as a reward. Hard day? You deserve a reward. A set-back? A little food to make it easier.

And as I tell Sally, a week of sacrifice and careful limiting of the intake of calories, fat, or whatever you are monitoring - is RUINED my one splurge. All that effort WASTED! How can that be? Well, you are 'training' your stomach and hunger mechanism to subsist on less food. It takes at least two weeks before your body stops it's panicky "I AM BEING STARVED" reaction.

One 'splurge undoes that. And your hard work is ruined. You restretch your stomach.

Another mechanism? "I have been so good on my diet, one splurge won't hurt. I deserve it."

There ends the diet!

BUT - contrary?

Don't deny your cravings. Just eat one small part of what you normally would - don't eat ALL the craved foods at once. Substitute if you can, fruit for candy cravings, for example.

That's how it works best.

Just some ideas.

Lizzy

Guest Jon aka Rachel

Well thank you both I didn't eat nearly as much as I usually do and I did it very slowly so I could feel when I was full. So other than the fact that it was terrible things heath wise I hope I didn't break the stomach shrinking process. I have been eating apples, oranges, bananas, and cucumbers when I got those urges but I just really wanted some slim jim's and chips :( But did not eat as much so hopefully that is good. I will take it all in moderation just to make sure I don't mess it up that would be bad.

I am trying to work on the depression as well but sadly my councilor appointment got pushed back till next Friday, causing more sadness but I will over come one way or another.

Thanks

Rachel

Guest justjosh

Rachel, as Emily has stated, depression can be a driving factor in appetite changes. Though my experience is purely mine and not necessarily indicative of your own, I realized through talk therapy that I am an emotional eater. I have been on eating binges when I was trying to cope with emotional stress, including episodes of depression. Though there is the aforementioned delay in treatment, be sure to bring it up to your councilor. The councilor may be able to suggest ways deal with the urge to splurge.

Take care,

Josh