• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Epilator - Not On Hrt For Chest Stomach Legs Arms

Guest Krisina

Guest Krisina

I was thinking about using an epilator on my arms, legs, chest and stomach. I have heard about ingrown hairs. I am curious if this would be a good way of going before hormones. I am concerned that if I do use it, will the hair grow back faster or will there be more hair growth?

What brand of the epilators are you using for their legs, chest stomach and arms? Pre Hormone. 

Did you find a difference over using a razor blade and shaving.

Are there reasons not to use an epilator over razor blades?

Krisina

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ash D

Pre-HRT here. Epilators hurt, especially the first few times. I've only done my legs, maybe the least sensitive shaving area. It does grow back a bit thinner, but not much. The real benefit is that the hairs take longer to become visible again than with razors. If you've ever gotten anyplace waxed, it's like that but the pain is draaawwwwwnnnnn out.

• 1 month later...
Guest Elena

I have been using a epilator for about 3 years, yes ingrown hairs can be a problem. I have found that using a moisturizing body wash with a loofa or scrubbing poof daily is sufficient to prevent them though.

Hairs definately come back lighter when they first grow back in then thicken and darken to normal at about 6-8 weeks for legs and arms. Hair on torso comes back sparsly but closer to normal texture and color and first noticeable hairs after a week to two weeks.

For facial hair, you have to be masochistic to get thru the initial assault, expect a red swollen face for a day or so, and hairs to be coming back after a few days, thoughsofter and thinner but just as dark. Thankfully maintainence is only required every 3 days and is FAR less traumatic.

Underarms were beyond even my pain threshold. Razor time, but that only takes a few seconds anyway.

Privates: No way, no how, never even going to try that. Not real happy with what's there but I don't see how that could end with anything but mutilation, and that is definately not my thing.

Braun, Remington, and Emjoi all make good epilators. As usual you get what you pay for, so if you go this route invest in a good one. The more tweezers the faster the job goes but also the more trauma you are doing at once. In other words, faster but more immediately painful, not more overall though. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Elena