• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Should I Keep My Male Voice In Tact?

Guest Jennifer1

Guest Jennifer1

As i grew up i was that kid that was doing impressions and voices. I think this is what helped me "Develope" a female voice. It was a lot of work and there were times i never thought i would get it. I still dont think its perfect but if there is one thing im a perfectionist about ( and there really is only one thing) Its being female.

While i love sounding like a girl and all that, I miss being able to do things i did with my guy voice. I know i need to get my voice stronger and as it strengthens i will be able to do more with it.

Things i miss are my impersonations and my singing. Now i know as a transexual i should dispise it but i take alot of pride in my ability to sing and my impersonations as well as the occasional shock value added to swichting my voice mid scentence just to suprise that unsuspecting jerk ( i know dangerous but still fun but honestly ive never done it) or that friend who just wont believe you ( yes i actually had a lesbian friend that swore i was a lesbian and swore up and down i was a natural girl until i did that).

Im honestly just torn from my old voice to my new one and while i know i need to just give it up i think its the hardest part of my old self to get rid of.

Guest silverpetals

jenny, you shouldn't feel pressured into getting rid of anything you don't want to :) feeling that you "should despise it" because someone else does doesn't leave any room for your own feelings.

personally, i think it's kind of fun to be able to do impersonations, and i would so want to shock someone with that and then burst out laughing. it's just fun to unnerve or challenge people with things that they aren't comfortable with, but you are.

so do whatever you want ^.^

Guest slntcandy

Jennifer, that is a good question and one that I'm currently trying to make a decision towards.

For me, the obvious answer is YES because I don't live my life as a woman but, like you, I am a perfectionist and feel that keeping my old male voice in tact could mentally cause a physical affect that would set back the work I've put into perfecting my voice.

Not to scare anyone , or myself, but ,because of my training, my larynx is now in a newer position in my neck that has caused my adams apple to have no prominence; its gone. So going back 100% into my old voice scares me. My brain and body are currently in the process of accepting my -female- voice/ breathing patterns.

The solution? Use your female voice to create a ~male sounding voice~. Because my brain already knows what my male voice should sound like, its not that hard to muffle out words in a deep tone, without changing anything but my tone.

I am beginning to believe that , because of the strong internal changes that have occurred in my larynx and the muscles that help create speech, I won't be able to switch from my old male voice to my new female voice.

However it'll always be possible to switch from my female voice into a male voice. With practice,girls can sound like guys, and thats what you should aim for when creating a male voice. This won't be difficult for us because .since we've been speaking in a male voice most of our life, we have already put in the work of exercising our lower pitch muscles.

Hope that wasn't confusing. ^_^