• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lucky Break..finding A Therapist

Guest Kayrah

Guest Kayrah

After finding that one of the first therapists we contacted from the list here had closed their practice, and desperate to find someone local, I found a great resource at http://www.psychologytoday.com/

There, a therapist right here in our own town was listed, but her name hadn't come up in my search through my health insurance, because she doesn't accept it through her private practice. When I saw her list of specialties, I took a chance and emailed, hoping she could refer us to someone local. Turns out she works a few days a week here for a group that does accept our insurance, and I'm making the appointment for my son tomorrow.

Distance was a big issue for us, and we will be able to see this therapist only a few miles from home. What a big relief that was!

I just wanted to put in my two cents here, since it was a lucky accident that I found the site and I was surprised to find they had updated listings, including my own therapist...!

We're very excited for our first meeting, hopefully soon. :)

• Admin

Kayrah, this is a really excellent resource. It's probably updated more often that the one here on Laura's, and seems to be more detailed. I've taken the liberty of moving it to the Therapy and Therapists Forum, and pinning the post, so that someone looking through the Forum will see it up top.

BIG HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, Kayrah.

I hope that you have an instant connection with your therapist as I have with mine, it makes things so much easier.

Looking forward to hearing about your session.

Love ya,

Sally

• 1 month later...
Guest Oasis

A fair warning, a few of them have trans listed under clientele but YOU MUST contact them and make sure they actually know the SoC and have had trans clients before if that is what you're looking for. Just because they have it listed doesn't mean they actually have the experience. If you're willing to go to one without the experience and is willing to learn (due to various circumstances), make sure you ask them if they will actually put for the effort along side you.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ariel Patterson

A fair warning, a few of them have trans listed under clientele but YOU MUST contact them and make sure they actually know the SoC and have had trans clients before if that is what you're looking for. Just because they have it listed doesn't mean they actually have the experience. If you're willing to go to one without the experience and is willing to learn (due to various circumstances), make sure you ask them if they will actually put for the effort along side you.

I'm glad I continued to read the other posts! Good to know, Oasis.

I was just looking at a few therapists on that list and noticing that one doesn't list it on their website.

• 11 months later...
Guest carolynn2fem

I have recently discovered that site. I like that You search by zipcode and lists the insurance they except. it seems to be the most complete list I have found. I emailed a few on the list and recived a reply from 2 of them. one prefers to be contacted by phone so I am going to call her today.

if this list does not work You. I had found a couple others by searching gender therapy your state.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gerilynn

That was how I found mine. I also tried the local GLBT center resources but it came down to that site and a few phone calls. I am lucky I am living part time in the Seattle area though.

Guest carolynn2fem

Just a update. when You select gender issues. on the results you get look at each doctor seporatly. look at what they treat. some dr, will treat gay and bi but not neccarily transgendered, this list does not address there level of experiance but it does list there years in practice. the one I selected was listed as treating trans but as it turned out I was her first. She is very nice and very willing to rise to the challange. I am looking forward to this journey

• 4 months later...
Guest Jennifer Sophia

Very good find. Would have helped me a ton, when I was looking for a therapist. Took me about a year before I found one that had the knowledge and that I clicked with.

• 8 years later...

I will be in need of a new therapist after switching to a new health insurer this year, this link is just what I need, thank you Kayrah!