• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sonic The Hedgehog

Guest Groove_Ghost

Guest Robin Winter

Was the first sonic cartoon the one that had Sonic voiced by Steve Urkel? lol (Jaleel White) I heard that and I immediately couldn't take it seriously.

I will be trying Broken Sword, I'll let you know what I think in a few days ^_^

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carolyn Marie

Guest Groove_Ghost

I have got no idea who Urkel is but thats the show yeah....... Its like the cartoon version of Pink Floyd's album Ummagumma mixed in with a bunch of kids high on a sugar rush...

Oh I look forward to hearing your thoughts :D soon your life will have meaning YAY for you

Guest Sarah_Maria

I was wondering if anyone knew of other good genesis games because the only ones I've played are the Sonic ones and Castlevania Bloodlines. Oh yeah and Sonic Underground is a painful show. Ahh I can't get the theme song out of my head. It's actually on a channel where I live every day. Some times I watch it just to see how bad it is.

Guest Groove_Ghost

Hmmm other good Mega Drive games? Not sure what kind of games you like but my favvies are; Earthworm Jim, Splatterhouse trilogy *though they are quite pricey* Zombies, Shinobi series, Golden Axe trilogy, Kid Chameleon, Comix Zone, Batman Revenge of the Joker and a few others that escape me right now, but to me those are all pretty solid games that ate away at most of my childhood growing up :P

Yeah I watch it for that same reason, I like to think that no matter what happens my life will never be as shameful or pointless as the people who cursed the world with that show......

Guest Sarah_Maria

I'm quite ashamed at myself for not playing shinobi it's like sega's ninja gaiden. So yeah I'll give those ones a go. I could just play most of them in that sega mega drive collection that I bought for Sonic. Thanks!

Guest Groove_Ghost

:o you've never played Shinobi before? Shame on you I say, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!! This calls for pistols at dawn woman, pistols at dawn o_O though I must admit to never been a fan in any way at all of Ninja Gaiden, it didn't really do it for me, not sure why, I think one reason is the difficulty level, it wasn't so much steep as vertical.....

Did you get to play any of the other games I mentioned?

And Sonic is amazing :D he is the blue blur thats way past cool!

Guest Robin Winter

Sorry, forgot to get back to you about Broken Sword, Jess :P

I rather liked it, but unfortunately it hasn't been able to keep my attention as I'm still a Runescape addict, and since I pay a monthly membership for that one, it tends to trump everything else. I'll get back to it when I need a break from Runescape again, but I don't think it'll ever monopolize my attentions.

Guest LauraJen

Sonic is something I played when I was about 3 years old and have done for most of my life - I really did grow up with it, especially as in the early 90s it was a pretty big thing (and still is now, especially with the modern 3D games improving). For me the best one has been Sonic 3 & Knuckles (I mean both cartridges combined, not Sonic 3 on its own nor Sonic and Knuckles on its own - they aren't full games). My ageing Mega Drive packed up long ago but thankfully have the Xbox re-release. It's funny how I always used to play as Tails in the classics because I used to think he was female, for some reason. I liked it a whole lot more when Amy came along, for reasons I hope are obvious! :-)

Episode 2 of Sonic 4 is out now and is supposed to be reminiscent of Sonic 2, just as Episode 1 was with the original Sonic. Episode 1 had some pretty awful physics which they have apparently fixed, but I don't know first hand as I don't have that game yet. Sadly my Xbox 360 is kaput and won't be playing Generations for a while. I do have the Wii though and played through Sonic Colours which is one of the best I have ever played. I then moved onto Sonic and the Secret Rings which turned out to be great as well, although didn't finish the last boss because I couldn't work out what on earth I was supposed to do <_<

Guest Groove_Ghost

Sorry, forgot to get back to you about Broken Sword, Jess :P

I rather liked it, but unfortunately it hasn't been able to keep my attention as I'm still a Runescape addict, and since I pay a monthly membership for that one, it tends to trump everything else. I'll get back to it when I need a break from Runescape again, but I don't think it'll ever monopolize my attentions.

HAHA its alrightyfied :)

I am ever so glad that you enjoyed it, I am always happy to introduce anyone to one of my personal favourites what is unfortunately a quickly dying breed of grand adventure games that put less emphasis on combat and more on puzzles to task the brain :) that was one of things I truly loved about the series, how they advertised that George and Nico save the world without ever firing a single bullet from a gun! I always thought that was so undeniably cool! Well I hope if you take time away from Runescape you play the whole series, the last two they realised had definite airs of Shenmue about it, it was something akin to point n' click in 3D, works better than it sounds.

Ah Laura I too as well think that the 3D Sonic games are coming in to their own :) the last few have been truly something special, Sonic Colours reminded me of everything I adore about the series, they got Sonic's personality spot on, he was easily as cool as he ever was in the 90s without seeming like some kind of dying icon struggling to keep up with the times as he seemed a little in some games where SEGA felt he needed to rely on some tacky gimmick.

I love Amy as well, don't get the haters, she is just too damn cutey and adorable not to love, I want to hug her :D and Sonic 3+Knuckles was the pinnacle of the series in my humble opinion.

They have definitely improved the physics in Sonic 4 Ep2, it plays far more fluid and "comfortable" than the clunk Ep1, its just a great game all around and very much inspired by Sonic 2, the only complaint I have is the OST, sadly I used to listen to the albums of previous Sonic OSTs, this one I cannot see that happening.

Guest LauraJen

They have definitely improved the physics in Sonic 4 Ep2, it plays far more fluid and "comfortable" than the clunk Ep1, its just a great game all around and very much inspired by Sonic 2, the only complaint I have is the OST, sadly I used to listen to the albums of previous Sonic OSTs, this one I cannot see that happening.

That's another thing, the music. I can't think of a single track in any OST of any Sonic game I dislike, and I actually listen to it on a regular basis just like any other music. I mean, it's still music and it's well made, just like "actual" music - what's the difference? I particularly like the final battle theme of Colours (both parts of it) as I seem to be into epic, orchestral music.

Guest Sarah_Maria

:o you've never played Shinobi before? Shame on you I say, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!! This calls for pistols at dawn woman, pistols at dawn o_O though I must admit to never been a fan in any way at all of Ninja Gaiden, it didn't really do it for me, not sure why, I think one reason is the difficulty level, it wasn't so much steep as vertical.....

Did you get to play any of the other games I mentioned?

And Sonic is amazing :D he is the blue blur thats way past cool!

Yeah I played Golden Axe which is pretty fun, Comix Zone which is really cool I love the whole idea but it's hard. I also played KId Chameleon but it's not really my thing. My next few games are going to be the Phantasy Star 1,2 and 4. Which you didn't seem to recommend me you non rpg lover you and I am a big jrpg lover.

Did you win Sonic Adventure 2 yet cause I was playing it today (the exact level you said) it's a really good game and the final battle is really cool.

I also have to agree Sonic is getting back on track. Sonic Generations was great and it really shows that Sonic is getting back on track.

I forgot to mention has anyone played Sonic CD if you haven't then get your PS3 or XBOX 360 and give it a download it's one of the Sonic Greats.

Guest Robin Winter

the last two they realised had definite airs of Shenmue about it,

Oh really? I played that for a little while via a sega (Dreamcast I think?) emulator, but not far into the game I reached a point when it just kept crashing so I gave up. If those are like that I'll probably enjoy them quite a bit. I did get them as well, just didn't plan to install them until after the first one.

Guest Groove_Ghost

Awww you didn't show up for pistols at dawn *cwies* you made me cry you meany! :( no one ever shows up for pistols at dawn.... *grumbles*

Yeah with Comix Zone I broke more than my fair share of control pads, its notorious for being a very hard game, eventually I gave my copy to my best friend, I didn't want the thing in my house in case I was tempted to play it again :P he can have the misery now, I am done with it LOL I like some RPGs but mostly WRPGs like Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, I don't really dig JRPGs, not a fan of the turn based battle system or grinding..... I only like the "greats" like Vagrant Story or Finaly Fantasy 7-9.

No actually I gave up on Sonic Adventure 2 and went to play some other games to calm down and still haven't gotten back on it, I now have recurring nightmares of the game taunting me from the corner and I swear I can hear it speaking to me, and it sounds like Vincent Price :P

Ah YAY Sonic CD, thats one of the best of the 2D era and the first game, I thinks, to feature Amy Rose :D its just fantastic, I had that on original but my SEGA CD broke. -_-

Shenmue 1+2 were on the Dreamcast originally and 2 was ported to the X-Box but with an English dub like the first one, originally it was rush released to try and save the Dreamcast so they didn't have enough time to dub it properly :( sadly its my favvy game series but I don't think even my grandkids will see the third one....... Amazing games, I would go as far as to say in many ways they are life changing. I would not hesitate to go in to full on fangirl mode and praise every aspect of them but I shall spare you all of that and simply they are "perfection"

I listen to a lot of game OSTs, but the Sonic ones are something truly special :) my other favvies are the Silent Hill OSTs, especially the vocal track ones and the Resident Evil 1 and 2 OSTs, some truly disturbing and dark music, amazing to go to sleep too, so unsettling and unsettled to quote a critic on The Smashing Pumpkin's album 'Adore' If you like big, sweeping orchestral music have you listened to the Final Fantasy OSTs?

Guest Sarah_Maria

Awww you didn't show up for pistols at dawn *cwies* you made me cry you meany! :( no one ever shows up for pistols at dawn.... *grumbles*

Yeah with Comix Zone I broke more than my fair share of control pads, its notorious for being a very hard game, eventually I gave my copy to my best friend, I didn't want the thing in my house in case I was tempted to play it again :P he can have the misery now, I am done with it LOL I like some RPGs but mostly WRPGs like Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, I don't really dig JRPGs, not a fan of the turn based battle system or grinding..... I only like the "greats" like Vagrant Story or Finaly Fantasy 4-6.

No actually I gave up on Sonic Adventure 2 and went to play some other games to calm down and still haven't gotten back on it, I now have recurring nightmares of the game taunting me from the corner and I swear I can hear it speaking to me, and it sounds like Vincent Price :P

Ah YAY Sonic CD, thats one of the best of the 2D era and the first game, I thinks, to feature Amy Rose :D its just fantastic, I had that on original but my SEGA CD broke. -_-

I've never given a game away. If a game's hard I just swear and then go back to it. You don't win games by selling. Jrpgs are my favorite game genre. No wonder you don't like Phantasy star 1, 2,3 or 4 because I just played the first one and it is filled with grinding. You could try the Tales of series the battle system is different so you can walk around. Also for Sonic's last level final rush it isn't even that hard sure it's tough but you're missing out on the rest of a great game. Oh and you haven't seen hard until you play the last level now that is hard.

P.S. I corrected your post :P

Guest Groove_Ghost

LOL I saw what you did thar o_O just one more reason for PISTOLS AT DAWN!!! Meh I just don't dig JRPGs, as I said some I do really like, Skies of Arcadia is a damn good game, Earthbound/Mother are pretty good as well, and probably a few more that will come to me when I am not sleep deprived :P

My favourite game genre is survival horror, nothing I like better than feeling alone and scared, the moody and depressing music, that feeling of intense helplesness you get from being low on ammo, supplies and surrounded by enemies. Plus it gives me a chance to quote Tremors "I am COMPLETELY out of ammo..... Thats never happened to me before.." :D oh and some FPSs too, instead of grinding I like to just pick up a gun and shoot someone :) it gets my point across better I find....

Well with my A-Levels this year and now being off to university I just don't have the time to spend slogging away at a game like I used to sadly, I play games to relax and chill so if I get that stuck on something I tend to move on to something else. Before I spent the better part of a years on games like Nomad Soul, Shadow Man and Rayman, now I just think "meh, just done a several thousand word essay, I ain't bothering with this" :P

I'll probably do Sonic Adventure 2 at some point but right now I am doing Kingdom Hearts 1

Guest Sarah_Maria

Persona 3 had better be in those games that haven't come to you yet. Please tell me you're not a Call of Duty fangirl. Oh if you like survival horror then you might want to try out Parasite Eve it's a mix between Final Fantasy and Resident Evil. Oh and if I had a several thousand word essay I would be like games first then the essay. My cousin actually knows someone who failed university because they were playing too much Dragon Age Origins. Back on the subject of Sonic the Hedgehog I see you're in europe. Which means you've heard the scary boss theme. Very few things scare me I didn't expect Robotnik's battle theme to be one of them.

Guest Groove_Ghost

LOL yes Persona 3 is a very good game *ducks under duvet just in case anyway* oh God no I hate COD, its a brainless shoot em up and if I wanted to get mouthed off at by 12yos I'd go to my cousins house and hang out with her little friends..... When I say FPSs I mean games like; the Half Life series, Quake, DOOM, Serious Sam, Timesplitters, GoldenEye and some general third person action games. My taste in games is pretty varied so I won't bore you with everything I like :P

I adore Parasite Eve :D thats definitely right up my street, and you are so right in describing it, just a shame they felt the need to bring the franchise back in handheld form......

HAHA yeah I know a few people like that, one of my friends failed university by playing too much Final Fantasy 11, he didn't really realise it at first, they sent him about 4 letters before he actually read them. Another friend give himself a heart attack through drinking so many energy drinks to stay awake to play it o_O but I try to be a little more dedicated than that :P I used to be all games and no education but now........... I am so stopping this before I sound too old :(

I am in the UK yeppy though I am actually Irish *with a few other things thrown in, but mostly Irish* and yeah........ That theme, not cool, just not cool

Guest Sarah_Maria

LOL yes Persona 3 is a very good game *ducks under duvet just in case anyway* oh God no I hate COD, its a brainless shoot em up and if I wanted to get mouthed off at by 12yos I'd go to my cousins house and hang out with her little friends..... When I say FPSs I mean games like; the Half Life series, Quake, DOOM, Serious Sam, Timesplitters, GoldenEye and some general third person action games. My taste in games is pretty varied so I won't bore you with everything I like :P

I adore Parasite Eve :D thats definitely right up my street, and you are so right in describing it, just a shame they felt the need to bring the franchise back in handheld form......

HAHA yeah I know a few people like that, one of my friends failed university by playing too much Final Fantasy 11, he didn't really realise it at first, they sent him about 4 letters before he actually read them. Another friend give himself a heart attack through drinking so many energy drinks to stay awake to play it o_O but I try to be a little more dedicated than that :P I used to be all games and no education but now........... I am so stopping this before I sound too old :(

I am in the UK yeppy though I am actually Irish *with a few other things thrown in, but mostly Irish* and yeah........ That theme, not cool, just not cool

Yes! there is a God. Actually I'm a bit of an fps fan myself. Mostly Id Software's games like Doom and Quake but occasionally I play Halo or Unreal Tournament. Oh right has anyone played Sonic Generations yet I bought it at Christmas and it truly shows that Sonic has got back on track. A bit on the short side but a lot on the fun side. I was also thinking of buying Sonic 4. So if anyone has played it can you tell me if it's worth the money. If I buy it then it means I get an outfit, therapy and a video game. That is all I want. You know as long as Crush 40 stay with the Hedgehog I'll keep blasting the soundtrack through my headphones.
Guest Groove_Ghost

No. Their is no God, the existence of COD disproves the existence of an all powerful deity...... The cannot co-exist in the same plane of existence.

Ah I love Unreal Tournament, well the single player campaigns that are far, far too underrated, I got the complete boxset and it came with the series OST on a seperate disc YAY some brilliant electronic music there.

Sonic Generations is brilliant and I think a few people has commented on it but the thread has kinda moved from Sonic to a few other things so its slightly hard to keep track at this point :P

I would heartuily suggest getting Sonic 4, Ep1 to some people had questionable physics but if you are a big Sonic fan then it won't really have any glaring faults at all, its just a great game, Sonic 4 Ep2 fixed these faults but the OST left a lot to be desired IMO. But once again all around a good solid game and worth a few hours of your time at least, for the price you pay you get some 2D Sonic thats better than anything SEGA have done with the blue blur in 2D for years, I don't think anyone can really complain at that TBH. LOL you're not hard to please are you? :P

Oh and the Crush 40 songs are someting else, rocking em on my headphones right now actualy

Guest Sarah_Maria

Haha Call of Duty isn't actually that bad it's a mediocre single player campaign with a multiplayer filled with immature players and hackers. It's the fanboys and fangirls that makes it a horror. I remember getting angry at someone cause they said that I hadn't put Call of Duty in my top ten games. Though I'm a huge Sonic fan with toys, every game besides the Mario Party knock off Sonic shuffle and the NGage game. I have a lot of Sonic comics and I listen to the soundtrack regularly. I think I'm a fairly big sonic fan and anyway what more could I need. My therapy is quite close actually on Monday. I'm not scared or anything I'm just happy that the gears are being put in motion. Oh and I'm wondering what people thought about Sonic heroes cause I played it and it's quite good It's the the next three sonic games that weren't great. Why does sonic need to turn into a werewolf and why does he need a sword. Sonic 06 was the absolute worst I think. Bad camera controls and a relationship between a human and a hedgehog. That game has a good few problems.

Guest Groove_Ghost

As far as I know they didn't make a Sonic 06, never heard of it, I know they were going to and I was pretty psyched for it, then........ Nothing, they just stopped doing press releases *come on play along its the only way I can get the screams to stop and sleep at night*

I get people constantly berating me for hating it so much which of course makes me go to my quiet space and sit alone and contemplate how obviously wrong I am on the series and that its actually the gaming equivalent of A Clockwork Orange in the depth of its story and the ways it gets its message across. I just never realised it before a rabid fan screamed at me "LOL HERP DERP GIRLZ JUST DONT LIKE GOOD GAEMES!" such eloquence and wit, Oscar Wilde would be jealous -_-

I do agree that the fanbase does ruin it somewhat, kinda like people who overuse Portal jokes which weren't funny the first time round. But I don't really like the single campaign that much, I don't like realistic games, I play games to escape the real world, I don't want to be reminded of it when playing a game if anyone gets what I mean?

YAY congrats about your therapy on Monday :D I remember how I excited I was for my first session, to finally have it all getting started was just such a thrill! Just wish I had got it all started sooner :( *Lord that makes me sound old* you will have to tell us all how it went :)

LOL while you do sound like a pretty major Sonic I think you are sorely missing a copy of Brian Wilson's SMiLe in the list of life essentials :P life really is rather quite meaningless without it

And Sonic Heroes was amazing apart from the glitches, it combined the 2D gameplay with 3D mechanics in a fairly impressive way and added something new to the gameplay that didn't feel tagged on like a certain werewolf game might have done had they released it *SEGA promise a lot of games they never make!* or a gimmick. Just really good when you don't fall through the floor

Guest Sarah_Maria

Sonic 06 is another name for that game that came out on the PS3 and XBOX 360. It's actually just called Sonic The Hedgehog but people use the name Sonic 06 to avoid confusion with the classic sega mega drive/genesis game. If you haven't played it then you saved yourself a lot of frustration. The only good thing about that game is the theme song "His World," This thread is getting me in a serious Sonic mood. I still can't bare the cutscenes in Sonic Colo(u)rs. I just really hate gimmicks. Why can't it just be classic Sonic side scrolling action like Sonic Generations was. Now I liked Sonic Colo(u)rs because the gimmick was really small. You didn't have 3/4 of the game being tedious beat em up like in Sonic Unleashed. I was just really surprised that I found the 3D stages of Sonic Generations better than the 2D ones.

Guest Groove_Ghost

LOL I've played and thats why I like to deny its wretched existence! If someone mentions it to me I just keep saying it was never released and that it doesn't exist, my faith in humanity won't let me accept such a game was released.... o_O

Talking about Sonic so much has caused me to go back and watch thoe TV series, the good one not that trippy one with Scratch and Grounder or Sonic Underground, never liked either of them. But the third one released in the 90s was perfect, fantastic show in every way. Sonic X wasn't bad either, I really liked it.

Sonic Unleashed was, well, I can imagine Lucifer tortures nerds who go to Hell by making them play it all day, every day and forces them to praise its broken mechanics and say over and over "Sonic needed a gimmick like this, Sonic needed a gimmick like this" LOL

Guest LauraJen

Yes, Sonic 06 is a popularly-used name for the game which is confusingly called "Sonic the Hedgehog", released in 2006. You might also see it referred to as "Sonic Next Gen". It was supposed to mark the 15th anniversary of the franchise, but it was a disaster and 90% of people hate it (I didn't think that much of it either). There are some pretty funny glitches in it but there were loads of bugs, things mentioned in the manual which weren't in the actual game, and it needed at least another six months in development. You really aren't missing much.