• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sad Day For A Family In Colorado

Guest Amanda_Henderson

Guest Amanda_Henderson

:(:mad:

Vigil Honoring Life of Angie Zapata and Benefit for Zapata Family

Vigil Honoring Life of Angie Zapata to be Held in Greeley

MEDIA ALERT - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact Information:

For questions regarding the vigil, please contact Mindy Barton, Legal Director, The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center of Colorado

Office: 303-733-7743, Ext 105

Mobile: 303-929-6784

For questions regarding victim services, please contact Kelly Costello, Director of Victim Services, Colorado Anti-Violence Program

Office: 303-839-5204

Mobile: 303-861-0246

Vigil Honoring Life of Angie Zapata to be Held in Greeley

[Denver] (August 9, 2008) - A vigil will be held on Saturday, August 9 in honor of Angie Zapata, 18, who was murdered last month in Greeley. The event is being organized to remember Angie and provide a way for those close to her to celebrate her life. The general public is invited to attend to hear from a wide array of speakers including Angie's family, national transgender activist Donna Rose, and members of other organizations and community groups.

Vigil details:

Date: August 9, 2008

Time: 7 to 9 pm

Contact for details: 970-221-3247, Lambda Community Center

Angie Zapata, a young transgender Latina woman, was slain in her Greeley apartment on July 16. Her sister found her body July 17. On July 30, Greeley police arrested Allen Ray Andrade for Angie's murder after they traced Angie's stolen car to him. According to police reports, the two had met on a social networking site and they were on a date when Andrade attacked Angie with a fire extinguisher after discovering she was a transgender woman. On July 31, Andrade was charged with first-degree murder and bias-motivated crime.

"It seemed apparent from the information provided to the public that the factual scenario surrounding the vicious murder of Angie Zapata fell clearly within the language of Colorado's bias-motivated crime statute," said Mindy Barton, Legal Director at The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center of Colorado.

Thirty-two states and the District of Columbia have hate or bias crime laws based on sexual orientation and twelve of those, including the District of Columbia, include protections based on gender identity.

The Colorado legislature amended the "Bias Motivated Crime" law to include "sexual orientation" in 2005. The term "sexual orientation" specifically includes transgender status.

"He didn't see Angie as a person," said Crystal Middlestadt, director of Training and Education for the Colorado Anti-Violence Program. "To treat a vibrant and beautiful human being like this is monstrous."

"The Greeley community along with many others in Colorado are pulling together to send a clear, strong message that this kind of outrageous violence will not be tolerated here. Murder of any kind is wrong," stated Nicole Hurt, Northern Colorado Community Organizer for the Colorado Progressive Coalition. "Murdering someone simply because that person is different is devastating. We are saddened and angry that this type of hate exists in our community. Angie was only 18 years old. She had a bright future ahead of her and was torn down before she ever got to live it. She was far too young die."

###

Benefit for Zapata Family

Wednesday, August, 6, 2008

Please join the friends and family of Angie Zapata on Wednesday, August 6, 2008 for dinner and dancing. Dinner is $6 per guest and will be served from 4-8pm. Stay for dancing from 8-midnight. There will be a raffle throughout the entire night with exciting prizes.

Mustang Lounge

490 N Main St. Brighton, Colorado 80601

Financial Donations

Community members may support the family by making contributions to Angie Zapata's memorial fund. Contributions may be made at Academy Bank in Wal-Mart, 60 W. Bromley Lane, Brighton or checks made payable to Monica Murquia may be mailed to CAVP at P.O. Box 181085, Denver, CO 80218.

The Good news is that man was arrested for the murder. But It Kinda sounds like another Gwen Araujo Story, The mans lawyer says it is a crime of Heat of Passion. But all of the evidance points to the fact of a hate crime. I will try to get more of the story later this week end.

If a Photo dosn't show Up I will try to get that this weekend to.

Guest Snow Angel

God, she's so beautiful. What a tragic waste. I was thinking the same thing even as I read the story, though. (It's another Gwen Ajuaro) I wish someone could have told her how dangerous men are, and that if she really likes men, she should probably stick with FTMs.

Guest Exiledrain

This is terrible and tragic. Greeley is only an hour away from me, I'll see if I can make it tonight.

My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

there truely are some sick people out there. this kind of thing shouldnt ever happen. period. not all men are dangerous though. thats kind of unfair. but i agree about how important it is to know how to be safe, cause there are sick people out there. i cant stand hearing about these things. it makes me wonder if i ever want to get involved in the world when these sad excuse for humans breathe. may her poor soul rest in peace

Guest Amanda_Henderson

This is what I have, in order when they arrived to me, There is also a link to 9 news that will show photos of Angie and the man that.

There is also some video of the earlier when it first happend, I have some info if you would like to send some donations,

I don't know about anyone else, but it took me about 3 times to just finish reading, with mixed emostions, sad, and so peed off that someone so hatefull has commited this Horrible crime against another person.

Dear community members-

As you may have already heard, there has been a recent murder in Greeley. Please see the attached press release (also pasted below) for more information. Community support is encouraged at the service tonight and family has requested that attendees wear red and black, Angie’s favorite colors. Attached is also a photo of Angie.

Kelly

Kelly Costello

Director of Victim Services

Colorado Anti-Violence Program

P.O. Box 181085

Denver, CO 80218

www.coavp.org

(303)839-5204

(888)557-4441 toll-free

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Contacts: Kelly Costello & Crystal Middlestadt 303-839-5204

Community Rallies in Response to Anti-Transgender Murder

Denver, CO - On Thursday, July 17, Angie Zapata, an 18-year old Latina transgender woman was found murdered in her home in Greeley, CO. It appears that there may be anti-transgender motive in this brutal crime.

It is believed that the suspect has stolen Angie's sister's car, a very dark forest green 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser with the Colorado license plate number 441ORN. There is a hubcap missing on the front passenger-side tire and there is paint missing on the front bumper on the driver-side, under the headlight. Anyone with information about the car is asked to call the Greeley police through the communications center, 970-350-9600.

"We want to get the whole community involved to find this person who hurt my sister and to let everyone be aware that all she wanted was to be beautiful. We want this violence to end. Transgender people deserve to be treated with respect," said Angie's sister Monica.

The family appreciates community support but has requested that all media contacts be directed to the Colorado Anti-Violence Program. The family encourages community attendance at Angie Zapata's service this evening with visitation from 6-7 p.m. followed by a prayer service at 7 p.m. at the Healing Place, 17801 E. 160th Ave. (Bridge Street), Brighton. In addition, community members may support the family by making contributions to Angie Zapata's memorial fund. Contributions may be made at Academy Bank in Wal-Mart, 60 W. Bromley Lane, Brighton or checks made payable to Monica Murquia may be mailed to CAVP at P.O. Box 181085, Denver, CO 80218.

Community organizations have pulled together to both support the victim's family after this shocking attack and respond to a community reeling from the brutality of the hate crime. Hate or bias related crimes, such as physical assault, hate speech or vandalism, are crimes that are motivated by hostile feelings against an identifiable social group.

"Hate crimes differ from other crimes motivated by economic gain or personal animosity. They are message crimes that are meant to instill fear and a sense of vulnerability in an entire group, in this case the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community," said Crystal Middlestadt, Director of Training and Education of the Colorado Anti Violence Program (CAVP).

"A hate crime like this serves to intimidate and disrupt an entire community," added Kelly Costello, Director of Victim Services at CAVP. "No one should ever live their lives in fear and intimidation regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. While we work to show everyone the gravity of hate crimes and the importance of preventing their reoccurrence, we also work towards building a world where everyone enjoys human rights and the ability to live with dignity and respect."

The 2007 Hate Violence Report released by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs indicated that there were 19 reported murders across the nation that exhibited anti-LGBTQ motives. In the state of Colorado, CAVP documented 118 incidents of bias-motivated violence in 2007.

The Colorado Anti-Violence Program has been dedicated to eliminating violence within and against the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities in Colorado, and providing the highest quality services to survivors since 1986. CAVP provides direct services including crisis intervention, information, and referrals for LGBTQ victims of violence 24 hours a day. CAVP also provides technical assistance, training, and education for community organizations, law enforcement, and mainstream service providers on violence issues affecting the LGBTQ community. The most common types of violence they respond to are hate crimes and partner abuse, as well as cases that involve random violence, sexual assault, and HIV-motivated violence. LGBTQ victims or witnesses of violence are encouraged to call our 24 hour free and confidential hotline at 303-852-5094 or 1-888-557-4441 or visit our website at http://www.coavp.org.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?sto...6&catid=339

Check out the link to 9news

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?sto...1&catid=188

This is all that I have