• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Music

Guest Madison_Always

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Flint

• EVAN_DESU

• Milly

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kelly Ann

DANNY ELFMAN...Oingo Boingo...OOoooooH my...that WAS a long time ago...and very cool...watch the TV credits for music and 40% of the time that name will come up.

just bought a Doors DVD, wow they were sooooo hot...saw them one time after the Florida Bust up in Michigan...be still my beating heart...and a Fleetwood Mac DVD "The Dance"...which while Peter Green isn't on it...Christine and Stevie are worth the price of admission themselves.

Mostly I've been listening to and dancing/jumping around to Tom Petty...Running Down a Dream DVD...what a catalog of songs...WHAT a performance.

Also like...Jimi Hendrix, The Clash,Hank Williams,Dylan,Beatles,Byrds,Cheap Trick (USUALLY great live)ta da ta da ta da...this isn't complete as a list, just recent...OHHHHHH yes...the Cure "I'll Stop the World"...my knees are getting weak....Kelly Ann

• 1 month later...
Guest OneOutOfnOne
is anyone else totally in love with trespassers william?

has anyone else heard of trespassers william?

oh...um, that's okay then...

I've never heard of them, though I do appreciate the Winnie-the-Pooh reference.

I listen to music for the music, which is to say, not the lyrics. What I listen to includes:

-Classical, late Romantic period things like Mahler, Stravinsky, and Scriabin

-Early progressive rock, like Genesis, Gentle Giant, and Rush

-The alternative rock of my childhood, like Sponge, Incubus, and Stone Temple Pilots

-New bands no one has heard of, like Damiera, Kaddisfly, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

At the moment, I've been listening to mostly Oceansize (somewhat subdued progressive metal), The Fall of Troy (spastic yet well-composed screamo), and Grüvis Malt (a strange yet delightful mix of styles that they call 'futurock').

Well I feel lke the oldest person here, I remember when Gregory divied plain song into two parts and created the chant! Those were hot times, I'll tell you!

Then music got all secular and sidetracked, branching out from oran to orchestra and then that cocky little punk, Mozart!

I love classical, large orcherations - romantic works, Wagner, Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Moussorgsky and Ravel.

Brass band music - Sousa and Alfred are my favorites.

Big bands and Jazz from Tommy Dorsey to Maynard Ferguson - lots of trumpets!

Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Adam Ant, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel and Simon without Garfunkel.

Movie Soundtracks, Musicals and early electronic recordings!

Very favorite, but not so well known Don Ellis! Trumpet virtuoso and great experimenter in odd time signatures - unbelieveable - from the 70s but still ahead of his time now!

And I remember telling Bach, "You have 22 children already, get a hobby - write some music!"

Love ya,

Sally

It might be weird but...My obsessiveness with Star Wars lead me to research the music in the movies and I found I enjoyed listening to them more then I enjoy some bands. So I often watch movies/play games and find original tunes in them that I end up downloading.

Guest Naomi Stardust

this is something i always thought strange

maybe it's a tg thing

i do the same thing as Zabrak

i listen to movie and game themes and background music

also i like Enya

Naomi

Guest OneOutOfnOne

I also enjoy a good movie or video game soundtrack. Anyone else who hasn't heard the Skies of Arcadia soundtrack should probably amend that immediately.

Actually, I wrote a video game soundtrack once... but it was a small independently published title for the Game Boy Advance that probably wasn't distributed outside New York City.

Guest Kelly Ann

I saw this again and the mood changed...I was playing BOC and Alice in Chains...but have gone to Rashann Roland Kirk (as always...whew...he was always sooooo very cool when he'd come around, more doors) and Dizzy Gillespie whom I had a chance to see at the Hollywood Bowl w/Chuck Mangione and these South American percusionists that were<<I'm getting vapors here>>unbelieveable. :blink: NOOooooOW I have got to get slightly more current in my music...OMG I've become an 'ole Fogey...Pogo Dancing to the MOSH PIT...OOOooH nOOoo...Kelly Ann...wwwwwait I wanna hear sooommmmmething else nooooooooowwwwwwww

Hey Kelly Ann,

Did you get to talk to Diz? I had a chance to talk to hi breifly at a jazz educators convention. Chuck Mangione was really cool, I had a chance to talk with him after a concert at a nearby University. I have met a number of Musicians through my time in record stores and as a professional musican, but of the trumpet players, I had the chance to meet Maynard Ferguson a year or so before he died and I had a forty five minute one on one chat with Doc Severensen while he was waiting for his ride to show up after a concert. Spent the break between two shows in the Green Room with Wynton Marsallies and his band and heard Miles Davis at one of his last performances.

Not to mention working as a college student host for Stan Kenton and Buddy Rich!

I'm not trying to name drop, but I was so impressed by each of these people (except Buddy Rich who was a nasty as they say) and the time they took to talk to student musicians!

Love ya,

Sally

P.S. I'm always impressed when someone knows about Rashann Roland Kirk and I forgot to mention meeting Ornette Coleman!

Guest Naomi Stardust

hey Sally, do you know julian Priester?

i'm not into jazz that much, but i know a lota people who are

i met Julian, his wife is a poet

No, I never met him, was he nice?

Is his wife's poetry published?

That's a little off topic, but it is still in the arts.

Here's a surprise for you, I did meet Peter Weller (RoboCop and Buckaroo Bonzai), he was a trumpet player and I helped him find some Freddie Hubbard CDs a few years back (Freddie died this week). here are a view more jazz musician actors - Clint Eatwood (that's why he directed 'Bird" and the Dirty Harry films had such cool soundtracks), Bill Dailey from 'I Dream of Jeanie' and 'the Bob Newhart Show' was a bass player, Charlie Callous (the comedian) was a drummer in the big bands, Steve Martin plays banjo and Dan Akroyd, Robert Kline and Bruce Willis all play harmonica.

That's all for now!

Love ya,

Sally, the queen of all things trivial!

Guest Naomi Stardust

he was very nice, i heard him play too

i should listen to more jazz

anyway, he's really quiet and Nashira Priester can't seem to stop talking!

they're an interesting pair and they both seem very happy

Nashira doesn't have a book out but i see her name now and then in poetry journals,

i'll let you know when she does get a book published

this is the wrong thread, but i loved sigourney weaver in alien!

by the way, trivial pursuit was my favorite board game, that and scrabble

by your leave, your majesty....

Guest YaManShane

90s Rap & R&B lol. Artists like 112, Biggie Smalls, Mase, Fugees, SWV, Toni Braxton, Joe, Blackstreet, Boyz II Men, Montell Jordan, Mary J Blige, some R Kelly........ lots of stuff

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Laura1977

Currently listening to: David Bowie, Prince, Queen, Tori Amos, Robin Trower, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles.

In the past, I have also been a fan of bands such as Phish, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Doors, Charlie Parker, Buddy Guy - I believe it was Duke Ellington who said that there are only two kinds of music: good music and bad music. I like the good stuff. :P

I listen to most blues, jazz, classical (I really like russian composers, especially Rachmaninov - a lot of power in those piano chords), classic rock, eighties metal, progressive metal, like Fates Warning or Dream Theater, some of the more light-hearted grunge like Weezer or The Presidents of the United States of America. I also like Celtic music and updated renaissance music like Blackmore's Night or Fairport Convention.

Interesting observation about the movie soundtracks, Naomi; I also like a good movie soundtrack. West Side Story makes me cry, LOTR is amazing, and I've always liked the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack.

Really, it all depends on my mood. I tend to shift genres every two weeks or so. The only type of music I categorically refuse to enjoy listening to is modern country. Makes me want to puke. All those macho redneck songs...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alyssa Leigh

'RainBird' date='Aug 16 2008, 09:28 AM'

Here's one of my all time favourite groups, their music gives my chills within and a sense of letting go from the bites of reality, especially through my PA system and subwoofers.. :D

Infected Mushroom - Stretched

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTu_tU__Yg

I like them to because its techno which is one of my favs.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Chelsea,

I like alot of different styles of music... everyting from Clapton, Isley Brothers, Boz Scaggs to Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, and Metallica. I am currently into Keith Urban's music and I am looking forward to seeing him in concert in May (I have got tickets!!)

bernie

I have mentioned before that I like almost everything but very heavily into Jazz and Classical (two very large and all encompassing catagories) and I can not wait until the divorce is final and I have the house (fingers crossed) when she gets her furniture out I will move my small system into the bedroom and put the 'wall of entertainment' in.

It is basically the same sound system that was in the average movie theater before they went into these tiny multiple screen affairs.

In a standard room a wall of speakers standing just over nine feet high and six feet wide might seem like a bit much, but what else are you going to do with a thousand watts of amplification?

And besides the sub woofer makes a lovely coffee table - just don't set a drink on it when playing anything by Wagner!

Not very girly, but maybe I can hide the big black cabinets with some lovely fabric.

I refuse to piant them pink!

A little Bach on this system sounds like you are in the room with a pipe organ - I love "Toccata and Fuge in d minor"

If you drop by, wait for a soft passage before you ring the bell.

Love ya,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest With Faith Or Flames

I like pretty much all types of music from taylor swift to nirvana to metalica and whitechapel. Im a huge metal fan though. ^^

Guest Jackson
I have mentioned before that I like almost everything but very heavily into Jazz and Classical (two very large and all encompassing catagories) and I can not wait until the divorce is final and I have the house (fingers crossed) when she gets her furniture out I will move my small system into the bedroom and put the 'wall of entertainment' in.

It is basically the same sound system that was in the average movie theater before they went into these tiny multiple screen affairs.

In a standard room a wall of speakers standing just over nine feet high and six feet wide might seem like a bit much, but what else are you going to do with a thousand watts of amplification?

And besides the sub woofer makes a lovely coffee table - just don't set a drink on it when playing anything by Wagner!

Oh Sally, I am so jealous. The "Wall of Entertainment". How cool would that be? I'd never get anything done then.

Guest Amelia19

I normally listen to J-pop and classical piano/orchestrated music.

My favorite artists are Ayumi Hamasaki, Ichiko, The pillows, Sunset Swish, Chopin, and Beethoven.

Guest Leigh

i love 60s music best...acid rock, folk, reggae...the Beatles, Tosh, the Grateful dead, the Who, Marley, Simon&Garfunkel, Hendrix, CSNY, Credence Clear water Revival, the Mamas and the Papas...everyone...

R&B, jazz...James Brown, Otis Redding, Tow Waits...alternative like Modest Mouse, The Flaming Lips, electronic like Ratatat, MGMT...techno like Fischerspooner...

i love music..i'm gonna cry when i realize a band that i love and didn't put...lol.

i also love 80s rock and some 90s rock (mostly cuz i was there) particularly the song "No Rain" by Blind Melon...and Incubus rocks...

peace&love

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Chelsea,

I love all kinds of music... I have had my metal stage, my jazz stage, my blues stage, my classical stage. Right now I am into country music. Johnny Cash, Keith Urban, SurgarLand, Tobie Keith, etc. Is where I am at musically right now.

LOL

bernie