• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Straightening Hair

Guest Riana

Guest Riana

My hair is very straight and I've grown it fairly long now, but I want to grow it even longer. My hair is also very stiff though, and although it doesn't curl naturally, it tends to keep its shape very rigidly and doesn't want to just 'fall' properly. Especially the ends tend to curl, because they either get caught on clothes fibres or lie over my shoulders most of the time. The hairs in my face are no better, they tend to curl forwards and stay that way. It's very annoying.

I've been looking at hair straighteners but I really have no idea how they work, or even if they would work for my hair at all because it's already mostly straight. Does the effect last long? And what about damaging the hair? Are there other things to watch out for, like price range (why are the cheap ones cheap)?

Guest Robin Winter

My hair is very straight and I've grown it fairly long now, but I want to grow it even longer. My hair is also very stiff though, and although it doesn't curl naturally, it tends to keep its shape very rigidly and doesn't want to just 'fall' properly. Especially the ends tend to curl, because they either get caught on clothes fibres or lie over my shoulders most of the time. The hairs in my face are no better, they tend to curl forwards and stay that way. It's very annoying.

I've been looking at hair straighteners but I really have no idea how they work, or even if they would work for my hair at all because it's already mostly straight. Does the effect last long? And what about damaging the hair? Are there other things to watch out for, like price range (why are the cheap ones cheap)?

The cheap ones are usually steel plates with a ceramic coating, which can easily damage your hair. Good ones have solid ceramic plates. Worth the extra cost, trust me, I've used both types.

You really shouldn't straighten your hair more than 2 or 3 times a week. There are products you can get that you spray in just before straightening that will help keep your hair straight longer. They work reasonably well and save a lot of potential damage. Without any product, you can expect your hair to stay straight for about as long as you can keep it dry. Humidity is not your friend! The aforementioned spray-ins also help combat the effects of humidity.

Guest EvenClose

You could check into the Hair relaxers. Its basically a chemical hair straightener. They can be expensive at a salon. Anywhere from 50-300 bucks. They do sell them also at a place like Sally's and such. You could purchase it their and do it yourself. They do work. Usually lasts about 3 months.Some longer for the more expensive ones. If a smooth look is what your wanting to achieve without as much hassle as learning to straighten your hair (and I don't blame ya, a nice iron is about 100 bucks give or take), then maybe its a route you could look into.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip086.htm A little info about the chemical straightening

Something a little less invasive and maybe an option might be this..http://www.sallybeauty.com/TCB-Relaxer-Kit/TCB5,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair07-03

If you have highlights or anything I would suggest against it though. It may cause it to look kinked. If not a flat iron will do the trick, just takes a bit longer.

Miranda