• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Assessment For Alcoholism

Michelle 2010

Guest aballofquestions

Boy, if only I did this well on every test!

For anyone who doubts it, its just a tool. Some of us DID start alcoholic behavior at 13, some of us even younger. I know an alcoholic who began drinking at 7...and another at 3...Many of us believe our alcoholism or addiction was there all along, even before we began to have a problem.

The questions prompt you to think about things you may not want to think about as a practicing alcoholic. If you know youre not an alcoholic, good, I am happy for you, many many people drink successfully, we do not. There are some who will look at this test and still deny their clearly alcoholic behavior, thats ok too. Those people are not ready for the program yet. I can only hope they make it in time.

• Admin

There are some who will look at this test and still deny their clearly alcoholic behavior, thats ok too. Those people are not ready for the program yet. I can only hope they make it in time.

Amen totally. "Alcohol, cunning, baffling, and powerful!!"

• 1 month later...
Guest ericajordan

Hey!!! haha. OMG! I just couldn't get back in here to say anything at all!! My fault. -lol- are you doing any thing special over the holiday? Sundays aren't so good for me this time zone, PT. But, I do think of you and your kindness to welcome me to a meeting.

I love your expression "grateful"!! That really is something isn't it??!! I am very certain I need more of 'grateful'! As soon as I think of this, each morning, if I wake up and am breathing -hehehe- I know my breathe and my life is worth of grateful. But, I say it out loud anyway!!! And I have some coffee. Coffee is good for grateful too. Sure. is it the perfect cup? no. But, I am glad to have my coffee and another day for whatever it is.

OK: now it is sometime since I post, so I ask for a liberty?? hehe:

Problems seem not to be something we can be grateful for. "Yet?" They are 'our' problems, given to us, to help us? or something close to that?

This seems to be so of a nature with other people: For example, a person wants to change me? Well, that isn't grateful!! Nope. haha. Do you see? Like the person said above to the person she is concerned about.

My family is very concerned of me. Sometimes it seems intense and sometimes strong words are said.

But, at the end, even the problems are something, I wish to show gratitude towards. Yes, they are problems. They are mine. And I am grateful for them!! haha.

Now, if you let me, and there is a moderator:

If today, I encounter a HP, if I am grateful, of my live and all the problems (and good stuff too. save for another writing!), then HP would embrace me, would HP not?

this appears to me to be a very highly charged statement, because HP can be called even religious type of names, such as my friends at the local AA.

Of course, you see where I am going!!!

All my love. Hope to see you again soon.

Besos.

• Forum Moderator

Erica, I'm glad you made it back and posted again. I'm a busy girl over the holidays. My wife and i are mostly going to be together but we will see the grandkids, my son and daughter-in -law. Life has gotten so good for me since i stopped drinking. Tonight i will be helping to set up a gym for AA meetings that will go on all day Christmas Eve and Christmas. after that i'll be leading a speaker meeting so i get a chance to get a bit "dolled" up.

I am grateful and find thinking of all the beautiful things in my life. It hasn't all ben roses without thorns and i can dwell on the pain as well but doing so simply isn't good for me so i do my best to remember that those thoughts will leave as fast as any cloud.

My HP is with me all the time. It has taken me so many years to understand that. The rooms of AA certainly helped me find some peace in my life. Something i've got to work on but if i do i can not only stay sober but i might be able to help others who are looking for help as well. The rooms of AA have given me so much that i keep by giving them back.

I hope you on join us on Sun. Please PM me. I would love to chat. There are two trans Skype meetings every week. One of them is on Thursday. This week that is Christmas.

Hugs,

Charlize

Another way of looking at faith is "Trusting the Process"

Quibbling about whether you're an alcoholic or not has always been a bone of contention with me.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...

Its a duck.

Of you want to test the waters once more, go ahead.

Step 1 and step 3 are most of the program for me.

The rest is commentary and guides on how to get there.

But its nit as simple as that.

Guest SnowCat

Ok, I scored more than 3 on this test, I tend to drink a lot at parties, sometimes I drink beer alone at home(but I don't get drunk, I just like beer) and drinking definitely makes me more confident and helps me forget about my troubles, but I don't consider myself an alcoholic. I'm not addicted and I can go without drinking for months, because I don't feel a need to drink alcohol. I just drink a lot at parties, concerts and nightclubs and I often go to such places and events since I started university.

• Admin

It is very possible for people to have many answer in the yes category on this list and still be able to live un-addicted lives where they control the alcohol, and none of us who have had to get honest and admit to ourselves that we are addicts will ever judge you and tell you that we have our suspicions about you. You make the decision that you are an addict, and then ask us for help, and observe our joy in life that we can give you as a gift. Your opinion of yourself may change some day as it did for us when we admitted that we were powerless over our substance, or if you are blessed, chemicals will not enslave you, and your joy will come from that place in life, and we will rejoice with you in that time. The purpose of thinking about these things is to keep us on our guard, that even though we are all good people, this is a world in which we have to be self aware and watchful of our lives.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beck86

I can relate to only one question. "Do you drink alone?" Tonight for instance, I am off tomorrow so yes I am having a couple about 4 beers but I don't consider myself an alcoholic. I do drink maybe a couple times a week but light. Even then I watch how much I drink and don't make myself go into depression mode and drink in the morning. That is just weird drinking in the morning. Sometimes I will drink socially with friends like this past Monday I drank a 6 pack. That night I stayed at my friends house because I didn't want to drive home. That was the last time I drank until tonight Friday. I do admit I love the taste of beer and some whiskies. The point I am trying to get is that I am in control and don't feel like I will go under. Other people might have opinions on what I think.

I drank mostly on weekends and almost always at home. The drinking snuck up on me in that I started to realize a couple hours before I got off work I started to get this urge to drink. I wouldn't even have to be thinking about it, the thought would pop into my head. I would then buy a six pack. Once I drank the first one I loved the feeling of not caring and had to have more of that feeling. After that I was never sure how much I would drink. And once I started all other plans were off for that day. Most of the time I could stop by 5-6 beers, but never sure. And I drank quickly too. I'd probably finish off that 6 in under an hour.

If I did have an appointment I wouldn't drink, although I might think about it. I haven't had a drink in over 14 months now. And I know if I were to even have one drink I would be right where I left off. And that is not a good place. I know better than to start drinking again. Everything I gained, would be lost, including learning how to be social instead of living in isolation.

Jenny

Be proud of yourself, Jenny, you've come a long way. :thumbsup:

As for myself I think I "passed" this test with honors. :thumbdown:

Thankfully I can say that I have finally begun my 14th year of sobriety. :superman:

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations Joann. That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Sober Hugs,

Charlize

• 1 year later...

i know im new here and im trying to get help, but this is something im very passionate about. we dont need a 20 question test to determine whether or not we are alcoholic. the only two questions we need are on pg 44 of the big book. if when i honestly want to, i find that i cannot quit entirely, or when drinking i have little control over the amount i take. if so, im probably alcoholic. its that simple. for me, its yes and oh yes.

• 5 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 6:24 AM, lizzy16 said:

i know im new here and im trying to get help, but this is something im very passionate about. we dont need a 20 question test to determine whether or not we are alcoholic. the only two questions we need are on pg 44 of the big book. if when i honestly want to, i find that i cannot quit entirely, or when drinking i have little control over the amount i take. if so, im probably alcoholic. its that simple. for me, its yes and oh yes.

Hi! I need to take the test too. But I can't decide not to...

• Forum Moderator

Jamifid i remember a time when i knew i had a problem with alcohol but also felt i could never quit.  I got to a point where after having open heart surgery i returned home to my handle of vodka and started right up again.  I had to hold a pillow to my chest to protect against popping my chest open if i coughed.  I was blessed as i finally did reach out for help some time ago.

It has been over 14 years since my last drink.  I am now living a life beyond my wildest dreams and am no longer wondering about my next drink.

You posted here.  That is a first step.  Please do reach out farther if you think you may have a problem.  

You are not alone.

Hugs,

Charlize

Jamifid, I like the 2 question test Lizzie posted. I remember in a meeting early in sobriety, I said I questioned whether I was really an alcoholic or not. Somebody suggested I try some controlled drinking & see how it worked. I already had & it didn't, so I kept coming back. Did you find meeting info?

Hugs!

Delcina

• 8 months later...

Sober 18 years...  I think I might be able to narrow that questionnaire down a few...

1. Are you questioning if you are an alcoholic?

2. Does alcohol negatively affect your life?

3. Have you tried to stop and failed?

I'm only half kidding.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't drink. I hope this becomes a trend among young people. I'm sure a few of them will be forced into it because drinking alone (what with the coronavirus shutdowns) but the rest can look at their alcoholic parents and say "I don't want to be like that."

• Forum Moderator

I hope you are correct about this!  I know many in my generation knew that their parents fought when alcohol was involved.  Some i know remember thinking i'll never do that but alcohol can seemingly be sneaky.  Over time it came to control my life.

Hugs,

Charlize

Alcoholism is a cunning baffling insidious disease.

It creeps up slowly so slowly that you don't notice and by the time it has taken hold you don't care.

When our lives go to complete -crap- and nothing is left and we are willing to ask for help then we can truly believe we are alcoholic.

Like being trans if you are questioning you probably are.

Hugs

Robyn

20+ years sober

On 6/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, Charlize said:

I hope you are correct about this!  I know many in my generation knew that their parents fought when alcohol was involved.

I have no doubt this gives many people a big warning sign to be careful with alcohol. My mom rarely drank, and when she did it was rarely any more than a few sips. A big reason for that was because her own mother had been a recovered alcoholic who, according to family lore, would have a personality change for the worse right from the first sip. (My dad, OTOH, never needed any substances to be a grade-A...donkey, but I suppose that's neither here nor there...)

On 6/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, Robin.C said:

It creeps up slowly so slowly that you don't notice and by the time it has taken hold you don't care.

Very true. This certainly was my experience, in any case.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, Robin.C said:

Like being trans if you are questioning you probably are.

I was almost about to say something along these lines, too. I find it interesting, all the things that seem to follow that very pattern..."If you're questioning, you probably are."

• 7 months later...

So, I answered yes to questions 10 and 16. Yes to 10 because I like to have 1 or 2 glasses of wine when I cook dinner, and yes to 16 because I live alone. I rarely drink anything else socially. So, this could mean I may be an alcoholic?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Donica said:

So, this could mean I may be an alcoholic?

Yes, No, Maybe!!  You alone are the one to evaluate this and decide if you have a problem with alcohol, but those of us who have had to come out and become clean and sober have had to look at even our most innocent drinking behaviors in order to get our lives back together.  It is when you realize that something you think is a harmless personal behavior is getting in your way of relations to others and life itself that you need to pay attention.  The first "Step" in an AA program is to decide that you are powerless over this behavior and that it is making your life unmanageable without it.  Until then ENJOY that you can have those things in your life. Think about it, but do not overthink it.