• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Electrolysis Vs Laser

Guest Angel Eyez

Guest Katie-Louise

Which method of permanent hair removal is better electrolysis or laser? in my personal opinion electrolysis is a better and more common method of hair removal in my area I am soon going to go for my permanent hair removal but unsure which method to use it would be great if peoples own experiences could be shared i also want to know which is most painful just to give me the idea and make certain which method I am going to use later this year thank you for your help

Lots of love

Katie-Louise

Guest Sophie Jean

I have not had either treatment done. Here in the Fort Worth area, most of the girls in my group prefer or have had laser treatment. But it only works on dark hairs. For lighter colored hair, electrolysis appears to be the only option.

- Sophie Jean

Guest A Girl

Katie-Louise'

Hi, I'm much older than you ,but for me laser has worked very well, but as Sophie Jean said, it does not really work on the light hairs; unless they have a dark root. i will have to do electrolysis to remove the ones that remain. I have absolutely no shadow any more and treatment is every 6 to 7 weeks to match growth cycles. Multiple treatments lasting 1 to 2 years is the norm. With laser you get your whole face cleared quickly. It is painful at first, but is dependent on the density of hairs. The higher the number the more painful, think rubber band snapping your skin. the pain is very transient though and dissipates rapidly. Laser works best on those who are of light complexion, but the hairs are dark. Being so young, I would think you would get great results. Though I had friend who at age 13 had a completely super full and super dark beard. He was pretty amazing. Hope this helps. Sarah Ann

Guest Jolene4ever

Hi girls...I just had my 1st laser treatment today. It was by a laser called a " cool" laser. There were other lasers in Duluth but this was is the only one up here,as for me electro was OUT. She explained that there are different settings and that they are increased over the next 5 months to be sure of permanent effects.The face is made up various segments that produce varying pain levels. Most of the time it was a sharp " needle like." The whole procedure lasted about 20 minutes and except for a sunburn effect, quite tolerable.

She said the only hair that has problems are "the grays." The cost is high but any procedure we do is going to be high. The number of hairs she got was 673 and that over the next few weeks more would fall out. So we shall see what happens. My next app. is in 5 weeks, one down and 4 to go.

• 1 month later...
Guest StephanieLynn
Hi girls...I just had my 1st laser treatment today. It was by a laser called a " cool" laser. There were other lasers in Duluth but this was is the only one up here,as for me electro was OUT. She explained that there are different settings and that they are increased over the next 5 months to be sure of permanent effects.The face is made up various segments that produce varying pain levels. Most of the time it was a sharp " needle like." The whole procedure lasted about 20 minutes and except for a sunburn effect, quite tolerable.

She said the only hair that has problems are "the grays." The cost is high but any procedure we do is going to be high. The number of hairs she got was 673 and that over the next few weeks more would fall out. So we shall see what happens. My next app. is in 5 weeks, one down and 4 to go.

I had also checked into laser treatments up here in the Hibbing area and was told the same thing by the doctor who would be doing it that the greys would need another method. I'm fortunate that I don't have much facial or body hair ( could use a little more on top my head though). I was also told when I went for my consultation that I'd probably need about 6 sessions spaced about 6 weeks apart. I don't know of anyone in my area that does electrolsis so laser seems to be my only option right now.

The part I have a question for is what happens after treatment with the hairs that are zapped? Do they come out when you shave? I am living full time so going without shaving isn't an option.

Guest Sophie Jean
I had also checked into laser treatments up here in the Hibbing area and was told the same thing by the doctor who would be doing it that the greys would need another method. I'm fortunate that I don't have much facial or body hair ( could use a little more on top my head though). I was also told when I went for my consultation that I'd probably need about 6 sessions spaced about 6 weeks apart. I don't know of anyone in my area that does electrolsis so laser seems to be my only option right now.

The part I have a question for is what happens after treatment with the hairs that are zapped? Do they come out when you shave? I am living full time so going without shaving isn't an option.

I was told last week by someone almost done going through it that the hair just starts to fall out when you shave.

- Sophie Jean

It is funny because I live close to the second biggest city in Canada, and when I consulted an information network, they said that they were unaware of anywhere thta did electrolysis there! They did not know anything about laser! I really find that hard to believe in a city of four million.

I am sure there is someone up there. I just have tot ranslate the name and dig.

• 3 months later...

Kia Ora all,

Back in 2000 I started laser treatment it was the new type laser that worked well on dark skin-anyway I was told I would only need six treatments...to cut along story short after four sessions I lost my job ending my laser treatments and apart from the odd electro treatment [the electro lady left the island two years ago-I had seen her around five times] I now just pluck every now and again-shave and or scissor...

Anyway not to side track too much from the topic at hand-back to 'laser' treatment..the other trans woman that lives on the island has been having laser treatment since 2003 every six weeks and when I told her what the laser clinic told me ie on average one would only need around six sessions YEAH RIGHT! -she was amazed she must have had around thirty odd sessions by now and is still having to shave on a daily bases...but she no longer gets the 'five o'clock shadow'

I had read somewhere that it depends on ones age and ethnic background as to how well hormones-laser and or electro works on facial hairs for example if young ie, a not too hairy teenage male or Asian or of African descent both races not having much in the way of hairs anyway the results are quite promising[mine was only after four sessions]...

Now I'm not familiar with the modern laser that's used nowadays but if any of you have or are having laser treatment what has your laser clinic told you...will it be 'permanant' after x amount of sessions or will you still have to keep going back for more?...

By the way Katie L this is a very interesting topic you've started

Metta Jendar

Guest o0tg0o

The clinic I inquired about said I just needed to come 6 to 8 times and it should be all taken care of. I would love that to be true. I did tell her I was Asian.

I'm kinda shopping around for the best one in town (there's like 8 or 9 clinics here for both electrolysis and laser). The best offer I got for the whole facial hairs is $300 per session. ....I'm wondering how much it is where you all are too. I'm guessing that's a pretty good price and I might go for that one.

i'm guessing after research, NZ $ has more mileage then the US $....hmm...I guess it's about there huh. Thank you Jendar!

(I found another one with a better clinic for about $220! yay!)

• 1 month later...

well, quick update. i was able to get laser for $170 for anything facial :D not bad? u all think?

I like it so far....i only went once on friday and i'm still waiting on my current hair to fall off :D Can't wait...

Guest savagedm
well, quick update. i was able to get laser for $170 for anything facial :D not bad? u all think?

I like it so far....i only went once on friday and i'm still waiting on my current hair to fall off :D Can't wait...

does the 170 pay for all of the treatments or just 1 session?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andrea-M

I had my first laser treatment 28th Jan 08(1 out of 4) , and the next is due 31st march , I already have had a noticeable difference, beard is so much weaker, were as before i had to shave twice to get smooth , now its done v quick once , and that's in just under 1 month. The big prob is the cost at £240 a session, although I got a deal (2 instalments of £350 1st and second visit and get the 4th session free. Anything that doesn't get laser'd will have to be electro'd ..e.i. light hair.

Go for laser Samantha , and gets a little warm, then feels like sunburn.

Hugs Andrea

• 3 months later...
Guest Storm Angel

I have had 6 laser sessions prior to HRT on my face and neck at $200 per session, It has thinned the growth out significantly but is still there.

Now that I'm on hormones I plan to have a few more sessions done, the next appointment on Monday next week :)

Any hair that is left or is stubborn to remove with laser will be completed with electrolysis.

Hopefully a few more laser sessions will work without the need of electro'. ;)

Fingers crossed..

Guest Storm Angel
Go for laser Samantha , and gets a little warm, then feels like sunburn.

Hugs Andrea

I had a rude shock on my first laser session, a little paintful much! :mellow:

Every other time, prior to the next session, I'd apply loads of Emla cream to my face to numb the feeling. I'm a sook icon_lol-1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarah

i've been 7 times by now for laser treatment each 4 weeks (a ruby laser apparantly) and well my cheecks are as good as hairless, but the rest still has hair, and a shadow >_< it wouild take apparantly about 10 sessions here (first 4 100 euro, then it's 75 and when the cheecks don't need lasertreatment anymore it's 50 euro's)

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

• 5 months later...
Guest Dutchie

Hi everyone,

The topic has been dormant for a while, but I would like to add my experiences as well.

There are many types of lasers and semi-lasers and the technology keeps moving forward!

Laser for facial hair:

The one that *really* works on a permanent basis can not be operated by a non-medical qualified person here! (If it's a beautician, run away... It's fake.)

These lasers cost second hand around US$20,000!! New more than double, but I couldn't trace the actual price.

I'm with a dermatologist who has given me 3 treatments so far, with a -now- one year old laser. Before each treatment I need to apply a prescribed anesthetic cream, not for nothing, because you can NOT stand the pain of these lasers without on the very sensitive parts like upper lip region. It feels like burning and cutting at the same time WITH the cream! After the session it feels like a sun burn which lasts for a day or so. During the 3 days after I need to apply moisturizing cream to prevent the skin from becoming too dried out.

It's not cheap, 200euros per session, but it works! These 3 sessions cleared the sides, except for some light hairs. The upper lip and chin region still has some hairs, but it's visibly less. There is no set amount for the sessions, since each person is different. The light hairs have to be done with electrolysis afterwards. By the way, my dermatologist asks during the treatment regularly if I can still handle it. If it doesn't she tunes up the power, if it's about to kill me, she lowers it. It is supposed to hurt, if it doesn't the laser does NOT reach the follicle and the hair doesn't die... The bigger the pain-zone, the more follicles get killed. Unfortunately "no pain, no gain" does apply. And I don't want to scare any potential laser-girls, but be aware that it might get very stinky when they do your upper lip and against the nostrils. That smell hangs around the treated zones, not a nice one... Now you know, be prepared. <_<

Oh yes, shaving after... I think I saw someone asking that somewhere. The advice I got was, as soon as you feel that your skin can handle it. For me that was the day after except the very first time, but I shave electric (I won't have much skin left if I shaved with blades). After a week or two, three, you'll see the difference. For a while it looks like nothing happened. But remember how long a beard hair is!!

IPL/ILP (Intense Pulse Light or Light Pulse):

There is a lot said about these things on the internet. The old ones were presented as Lasers, but effectively weren't. Some were called "cold lasers" to signify the difference.

I had 3 treatments with a new one (latest model on the market) for my chest. I used to be quite hairy in that region, and I shaved/waxed/creamed, but my skin did not like that at all. The first treatment was a disaster, well, ok not that bad, disappointment. The power was too low, almost no hair loss. Now with my experience with the laser I know better, this session was a week before my first laser. Anyway, the other two did work a lot better. The good machines need to be operated by qualified persons here. Again, you need to watch out for cheap imitations. (There are some of these "miracle" hair removers that present themselves as IPL/ILP and technically they are, but they lack the power to reach the same level. Selling price: $200~3000, just so you know...)

They can NOT treat facial hair with these! I was warned about that by my doctor.

How they work is as follows: You need to shave the zone 4-5 days in advance, depending on your growth. When you're treated, first you get a "cooling gel" applied to the zone that needs treating. Then they use a hand held"lamp" with a fat cable attached like a hose of a vacuum cleaner/hoover. (This is similar to the laser by the way). The "lamp" gets triggered by the operator. Placing the lamp on the gel, trigger, flash, next. Like with the laser you have to wear eye protection! The light is too intense for your eyes, you'll notice even with protection... Total time it took per session, approximately 15~30 minutes, depending on the chattiness of the operator. :lol:

Afterwards, there isn't much pain actually. Oh yes, pain during the session... Same as laser, but less intense. The same applies, "no pain, no gain". This does feel like the rubber band snapping against your skin.

Afterwards, I did have red skin, but that returned to normal after a day or two. After at least a week, but usually a week longer, you notice hair falling out. Yay!

As there have been many disagreeing sources about IPL/ILP I wanted to find out. Costs per session: 70 euros. I have seen prices in the US being mentioned of around $10 per flash with a very similar machine. I'm not sure, I haven't counted the flashes, but I think it must be near 30 at least! I don't think I'll remember to count them next time, we usually chat too much...

Dutchie

• 3 months later...
Guest Saralynd

i've been doing 100$ per session lol. seems to be working. No anesthetic cream though. last time I went the receptionist said "Ah you weren't screaming as much this time"

Guest Donna Jean
i've been doing 100$ per session lol. seems to be working. No anesthetic cream though. last time I went the receptionist said "Ah you weren't screaming as much this time"

:blink: OH MY!

Donna Jean

Guest julia_d

IPL .. 2 sessions.. I have to actually remember to shave before going out now, because the only hairs left are white ones and a few very fine ones which don't show. The first session hurt and burned quite a bit.. second session with 75% less hair was a little hot for a couple of hours afterwards then normal.

My skin is much happier without all the hair in it.. I used to get a pretty bad razor rash down my neck.. gone... I even go out now with no makeup at all, confident that there will be no shadow visible during the course of a whole day.. and nothing dark the day after.

For me I'm very happy with the result.. but I can't use emla because it causes my skin to peel 5 days after putting it on... How do I know it's the emla and not the light?.. I nipped my skin on my hand while I was working on something.. so I thought "emla.. that will kill the soreness and stinging" .. it peeled a few days later.

£150 a session.. but the cheapest around that are PCT approved. I'm waiting for my funding application to be approved (or thrown back) for the surgical area.. and paying for that myself as well. Hey hey.. that's what having a good credit rating is for eh?

Guest Nelly

Hi,

I am thinking to get my facial hair removed. I think it is better to do it before RLT or HRT. Okay, I maybe get some strange coments why a guy want to remove facial hair. But there are enough good answrs to it. My idea is, that you need to grow out your hiar a bit. With this shadow in the face you get no problems as a guy and I think male skin is stroinger than female skin. So the side effects of the treatment is less big.

Does anybody can name good type of laser? I do not want to spent money in thinks that did not work fine.

I read that girls have less hair in the neck (rear end not front end). Do they also make that part to?

Greetings

Nelly