• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I need answers :(

Guest Derek

hi everyone, this is my first post here. i'm posting in the eating disorders category because i have a question that has to do with eating disorders. i feel like when i'm ready to start testosterone i want to see a gender therapist, or even for a year before i start testosterone. but anyways, i'm bulimic, unfortunately, i used to cut but i dont anymore, its been about 8 months now. and i was talking to my therapist about it, but she told me that if i'm bulimic, no gender therapist would prescribe me testosterone. this shocked me in a way because i knew you had to be evaluated, but the fact that you have to be in perfect mental health condition (which she told me) got me a bit upset. i'm not perfect, but i feel like my mental health is pretty good despite this bulimia problem, which ill try to clear up soon. but she told me it could be that id have to stay clean off bulimia for up to 2 years until it could happen. it sort of upset me to the point i felt like crying. i guess its wimpy but i just felt like it was impossible. like crazy in a way. who could stay perfect with no relapses or anything for 2 years straight when they're me? i feel like it's an impossibly high standard. i'm not sure if she told me this incorrectly, or if this is ACTUALLY true. is it true they can hold that against you and keep you on hold for up to 2 years? i hope not.

• Admin

There is no official time table for getting hormones IF the MD making a referral to an endocrinologist, or prescribing them from a general practice alone feels you are in good health, and the hormones themself do not put you at risk due to damage from the bulemia that has not healed. The doctors will probably want to be sure that you are sufficiently along on controlling your nutrition that you will be able to take the medication orally on a regular basis. Also, they will need to be sure that you have the proper caloric intake on a daily basis, since males need a higher minimum daily maintenance level of calories. (1800-2000 calories). At least 50% or a little more will depend on how fast you can get in the groove and satisfy an MD that the hormones will not be a medical risk.

A gender therapist will set their own time table based on your activity and cooperation with them, and that will include the bulemia. Important item is to START dealing with the bulemia on a SERIOUS note, and do not let what you were told put you back on the eating disorder recovery. I think the answer you got was a kick in the britches, but not absolutely true. Relapses in any disorder are dealt with on a one by one basis, if one is not on the footsteps of another. Calm down and work your program and time will FLY. :doh1:

• Forum Moderator

Just a couple of small things. I don't believe T is prerscribed orally anymore-at least in the US because of the liver toxicity of oral T. Injections have been shown to be much safer.

The other thing the GT may be concerned about is that T increases hunger in many people. Which could aggravate bulimia. Also you will bulk up tp some extent-muscle -but it will increase your weight some because of additional muscle. Which could also make the bulimia worse. Since that is a potentially life threatening condition I think your GT is erring on the side of caution.

T^here is no requirement that you be in perfect health for T . There are a few things that could cause it to be denied or delayed-like heart problems or a history of cancer

Transition is hard on us and it is important to get this under control before you start.

Johnny