• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair Removal: HRT, Laser, and Electro

Guest MadisonRose

Guest MadisonRose

I realize there must be many posts covering the same topic, however;

I have done 6 treatments of laser (pre/during early HRT). After the treatments my laser tech told me her work was done and the next step would be electrolysis.

Now, laser reduced greatly on the neck and checks however it still is heavy in the "goatee" area. I have had 4 electro treatments thus far, however due to financial problems I have to put it on hold for a bit. I am currently finishing my 5th month on HRT and am at almost the maximum dosage.

I was wondering how people have dealt with body hair. Has HRT really helped reduce/erase body hair on the face, neck, chest, stomach, and arms?? Should I just deal and wait for the change to set in or have people found they need to do removal treatments on more than just the face?

Thanks so much!!!

Much love, Madison Rose.

Guest Ney'ite

As with all aspects of HRT, it all depends on your specific genetics. What works (or does not work) for me, may or may not work for you. That said, I have been on HRT for 2 years and most of my body hair is very fine and nearly invisible. However, please keep in mind that HRT will *not* diminish facial hair at all. It can make it softer and perhaps slow the growth, but you would need to actively remove it. Electrology is considered the "Gold Standard" (laser being the "Silver Standard") and necessary for facial hair removal. The drawback of HRT softening your facial hair, is you may notice the hairs having a harder time breaking the surface of your skin, which can lead to an ingrown.

I have been going to electrology for 2 years plus a few months. My first year and a quarter it was weekly for 1 hour, followed by every other week, and now I go about once a month. Again, this is *only* my genetics, as they always say in here: "Your mileage may vary."

Guest Donna Jean

I was wondering how people have dealt with body hair. Has HRT really helped reduce/erase body hair on the face, neck, chest, stomach, and arms?? Should I just deal and wait for the change to set in or have people found they need to do removal treatments on more than just the face?

Thanks so much!!!

Much love, Madison Rose.

Here are the general rules of MTF hair.....(please don't post.."My hair totally disappeared after one HRT pill...I'm talking most cases, not all!)

HRT will not change facial hair....we all must have to deal with that by shaving, electrolysis, Laser or another method....

Body hair will lessen and become finer......

I personally have to shave body/legs every couple weeks to just clean it up....(I've been on HRT 34 months....)

Donna Jean

I've heard similar reports Dee Jay from the ladies at my support group.

I am only 5 and a half months on HRT. I work as a dog groomer and sometimes to test a blade before use on a dog to make sure it's cutting and not pulling hair I'll test it on my arm which is pretty fuzzy... The hair that grew back is almost totally blonde, very fine and is growing extremely slowly. Even last week, I shaved for my Electrolysis appointment on Tuesday and by Thursday when my appointment rolled around the hair was almost still too short to work on.

The ladies at my support group however, told me that they still have to shave the tops of their hands and feet, and they shave their arms just because they want to and this is after 2+ years HRT. The hair grows in very fine but they do it anyway. It's kind of depressing to me because I am very furry all over and I was looking forward to it being GONE and not just growing in finer and less dense so I suppose I'll be waxing. Probably start that when it gets closer to warmer weather though.

Guest Krisina

The goatee chin area the hairs are very dense. You can also have some hair around the moist ache or mouth area that need an extra going over. If the hairs aren't light hairs popping up around the goatee area I would want them zapped again but that's just me. I've had 7 laser treatments and I am going for my 8 treatment this month. Facial hairs for us mtf are male thick hairs and they won't go away without proper treatment laser the silver standard or electrolysis the gold standard. I've heard similar things as others have said and from support groups about hair on the body. If you were really hairy you could still have to shave or use An epilator every week or two weeks. Some people have hardly any body hair because of genetic and might have even less hair than CIS gen woman and that's before HRT. Everyone is different.

Get rid of that facial hair, that would be my priority. The other stuff is manageable.

Krisina

Guest mumbaigirl

@ Madison: Do you still have coarse hair in the goatee area? If yes, try 2-3 sessions with GentleYag or Coolglide. Hair on upper lip and chin is usually deep and Alexandrite and Diode lasers(755nm, 810nm) do not penentrate as deep as Yag lasers (1064nm).

From what I have heard(and read!), HRT makes body hair finer. Some people say it disappears in some areas after many years.

@Krisina: I suggest you give YAG laser a try too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 112 Guests (See full list)

• Ashley0616
    • April Marie
    • MaeBe
    • Ivy
    • Petra Jane
    • Lorelei
    • missyjo
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Raelyn
    Newest Member
    Raelyn

1. **Angela Charlotte **
      **Angela Charlotte **
    2. Carlie
      Carlie
      (63 years old)
    3. Cbxshawn
      Cbxshawn
      (49 years old)
    4. HannahO
      HannahO
      (31 years old)
    5. JustKatie
      JustKatie
      (40 years old)
    • Ashley0616
      I don't see why not. I have worn forms since I came out. 
    • MaeBe
      I have never worn breastforms, but I assume as long as they don't aggravate your nipples you could.
    • MaeBe
      Every week I've been excited to take my shot, so it's never been an issue. Yesterday, however, I woke up and started my usual "slow roll" and then suddenly realized I had breakfast plans that I had to rush out the door for. After, it was straight into work calls, and then I got the notification from the doctor about things being too high and all the while my mind had completely slipped that I needed take my shot.   Given that I am not asking for medical advice, but sharing my journey, I will note my results: Estradiol at 447 pg/mL and Testosterone was 23 ng/dL, up and down from 26 pg/mL and 526 ng/dL respectively before treatment. Almost flipped the bit! The doc would like my Estradiol closer to 300 pg/mL, so we'll see what Monday's tests state.   Oh, and I teased the dinner with old soccer teammates and never updated the thread! It went well. There were a couple funny moments. One guy, who I was worried about their response, greeted me with "Hey, you've lost some weight!" 😎 And a friend who lives near me picked me up on the way to dinner exclaimed, after we learned one of the invitees might show up with a date, "Wait! We could have brought women?!" To which I instantly responded, "You kind of did, bringing me!" Everyone got a good laugh out of that. 😁
    • Ashley0616
      To me there isn't that much difference other the measurement, which side the zipper is on and men's pants have bigger pockets. 
    • missyjo
      I hope this is not stupid question..I have yet to start n not sure if doc will approve..but once you start growing buds n such, can you still wear forms to get to the size you were?   I'm a dad, so when I start blossoms they will be smaller for a long time n probably need surgical augmented..that's fine. I don't want to go ddd to aa to ddd..   any ideas?   thank you
    • missyjo
      April sounds fun..I keep some boy jeans to visit mom in..fir now   hugs
    • Ivy
      I like them too.  We had them growing up.  But my father's family were Swedes.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Oh my!  I guess it just goes to show how different tastes can be. Since we don't live near the ocean, Seafood is a rare luxury. We absolutely love pickled herring! Especially my husband and my GF, I guess it's a Ferman/Russian cultural thing.  But most of the kids like it too, and a jar wouldn't last in the pantry for long 😆
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I think the key to that is just not minding eating the same thing repeatedly. Since we produce a lot of our own food here, we end up eating what is in season at the moment. So, when the yellow squash is ripening, we end up fixing squash 20 different ways. When the strawberries are ready, we eat lots of strawberries. It's kind of a different mindset to eat in season when it has become such a part of American culture but the grocery store has everything we want all the time. Like grapes in December.  My family does even things out a little bit by having a greenhouse so we have some fresh things in the winter, but it's not a 100% fix.
    • KathyLauren
      My brothers and I had to eat what was on the plate.  All of it, and nothing else.  Pickiness was not tolerated.  Some of our least favourite were liver and onions, sauerkraut, and especially rollmops (pickled herring).  We finally protested enough to persuade our mother not to serve rollmops, though she kept a jar in the pantry for years afterwards, as a threat if we didn't behave.
    • Carolyn Marie
      I'll go first.  My favorite team is the Yankees.  Loved them since I was a kid.  I was born in NYC so, yeah.  I know everyone loves to hate them, and that's OK.  I just love baseball in general.  It's a game of traditions, strategy, power, grace and skill.   Play Ball!!  ⚾   Carolyn Marie
    • Ashley0616
      I guess you do have a good point. It's just hard to try and not have the same meals over and over again. 
    • Willow
      Hi   I’ll weigh in on being picky about food.  Yes, and I was brought up that way.  We didn’t have to eat everything our parents ate.  They had a number of things they ate that they figured we wouldn’t eat, an acquired taste things or one or the other didn’t like them too.   even as an adult there are many things I won’t eat.  In my defense, there are different things my wife won’t eat.   the weird thing is that after being in E, my tastes have changed.  Sweet, sour, salty or bland, if I eat or drink too much of any one thing and I have to counter act it.   Willow
    • Ashley0616
      I have shared my doses and levels a lot and no one has said anything. Yeah I put alarms on my phone to make sure I don't miss a dose. I tend to forget a lot of stuff on what needs to be done. I have been also using the calendar on my phone a lot. I missed an appointment because I didn't put it in my calendar. 
    • Ashley0616
      Feeling better than I did yesterday
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.