• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Someone get the license plate on that laser....?

Guest Jaded1

So today was my first laser appointment.

Allow me to preface this with, I have been told I am a good candidate as I have fair skin and dark, course facial hair.

So my darling partner got me a great deal on groupon for 3 sessions for complete face for x-mas and after an initial consult, today was my first treatment.

I went in and laid down on the table/bed. The woman doing the laser is actually an RN and was very kind and professional and explained things to me and answered all my questions. She used what looks like a lint roller with smooth rolling stone in the middle that was iced to prep my skin.

I was told that the sensation is somewhat like getting snapped with a rubber band.

I will say, I can imagine more pleasant things than getting hit with that laser but she was very good about spacing things out so that it was neither unexpected nor overwhelming.

She said that my skin had reddened up but I saw it in the mirror afterwards and it wasn't bad at all.

She used a hydro-cortizone cream that she applied afterwards and after about an hour the slight burning sensation that I had especially around my chin/neck had dissipated.

Overall it is obviously too soon to speak about the results but I am very happy with my choice of clinic (if anyone wants their name, please pm me.)

To be honest, I remember the smell more than anything. I will never get used to the smell of singed hair.

Here's to a smooth hairless face!!!!

Guest Krisina

Great to hear you are such a good candidate for laser and on your way. Those discounts when you find them are handy. Nice Christmas present indeed :-) I've done (still am) laser and while it will never get rid of my light hairs on my face, what is has done is amazing.

Krisina

Great to hear you are such a good candidate for laser and on your way. Those discounts when you find them are handy. Nice Christmas present indeed :-) I've done (still am) laser and while it will never get rid of my light hairs on my face, what is has done is amazing.

Krisina

Deals are the word of the day as I need to watch every penny.

The plan is to get as much of it taken care of with 6 treatments as possible and then go to electrolysis for the rest.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I felt the same way after my first session.

I have 4 sessions done and now all that seems left are a few little patches of dark hair....and all the greys. Egads I didn't realize how many grey hairs I have!

..then my last session she turned the laser up to full power. Omg that hurt. I actually had a little tear on the corner of my eye when she was done, and she did the face and neck area just like the other 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stormrider2112

I wish I could get laser, but my facial hair is like 33% red (no dice, and my electrologist thinks it's weird, since my scalp hair is a plain dark brown). Starting to burn a bit more (she uses thermolysis) as my skin is starting to get a bit softer...

Guest NatashaJade

It took 15 sessions of laser for me to clear all the dark hairs and now I'm into my 8th hour of electrolysis (tomorrow is hour number 9). You will look back fondly on the laser when the evil needle starts beeping.

Beep. Beep. Beep. :blowup:

xoxo

LOL, the evil needle.

Mine is all gray so laser wasn't an option. I've had weekly electrolysis sessions since early September and so far only my chin is clear. One lousy hair at a time. Sting, pluck. Sting, pluck.

The funny thing is I've fallen asleep twice during treatments. My electrologist asked if I want an extra hour so I can finish my nap. Yea right, like I can't get out of there fast enough. She's a sweetheart.

Shari

Guest Krisina

It took 15 sessions of laser for me to clear all the dark hairs and now I'm into my 8th hour of electrolysis (tomorrow is hour number 9). You will look back fondly on the laser when the evil needle starts beeping.

Beep. Beep. Beep. :blowup:

xoxo

Look fondly on laser... The lady doing my laser for me said electrolysis is more painful.

I hate the idea of it being even more painful considering what remains is on my chin area and some tiny ones I think on my upper lip. Some other small areas too but no beard shadow. This is not fair any of it. It really is not fair. I'm wondering if I would just pack it in and quit over the pain of electrolysis.

Krisina

Guest NatashaJade

I'm wondering if I would just pack it in and quit over the pain of electrolysis.

I just did another hour yesterday and while she was doing my upper lip (which she keeps promising is close to done), tears were literally pouring out of my eyes. And, yet, I lay there as still as possible, tried to listen to the music and wait for the long beep that says today's torture is at an end.

And then I made my next appointment.

We just keep doing what we have to, no matter what. It's just pain. It happens and then it's over and we are a little sore and we forget about it by the next day except that we know it hurt and it will hurt again.

Now if you have the money, my place can do 8 hour sessions with you with two electrolysists working at the same time and they dope you up with lidocaine before they begin so you can hardly feel it. Do it over a few days and then you're pretty much done. It is an option.

Oh, and one of the reasons I chose Dr. Brassard for GRS is that he recommends against genital hair removal.

xoxo

Guest Krisina

I'm wondering if I would just pack it in and quit over the pain of electrolysis.

I just did another hour yesterday and while she was doing my upper lip (which she keeps promising is close to done), tears were literally pouring out of my eyes. And, yet, I lay there as still as possible, tried to listen to the music and wait for the long beep that says today's torture is at an end.

We just keep doing what we have to, no matter what. It's just pain. It happens and then it's over and we are a little sore and we forget about it by the next day except that we know it hurt and it will hurt again.

Now if you have the money, my place can do 8 hour sessions with you with two electrolysists working at the same time and they dope you up with lidocaine before they begin so you can hardly feel it. Do it over a few days and then you're pretty much done. It is an option.

Oh, and one of the reasons I chose Dr. Brassard for GRS is that he recommends against genital hair removal.

xoxo

I hate pain though, just reading about the pain, tears running down the side of your face sometimes makes me cringe inside of it happening to me. I will still be trying it though when the time comes.

The place near where you live sounds like laser 3000 for the 8 hour treatment with two people working on the face.

Dr Brassard recommends against genital hair removal as they remove it during the surgery via high heat ... I forget the wording but they get rid of the hair burning it. It makes sense. I know people who have gone to him for SRS. He does good work, they're happy!

I have some photos in my gallery. One of the photos is of several days of hair growth after about 12 months of laser. Only light hairs left and if you had seen what I had before with several days of hair growth it's night and day. No beard shadow, yes!

Krisina

Guest Stormrider2112

xoxo

Yeah, I've been punched in the face plenty of times and just shook it off (I have a black belt in Taek Kwon Do :D). I've been hit *there* twice and was out of commission for quite some time. I'd bear a quick Brazilian if I HAD to, but full-on zapping...OH HELL NO! :)

Guest Sarah Michelle

I have had both laser and electrolysis. I have to say they both hurt for me but I will keep doing it until all the hair is gone. I have very few black hairs left on my face only white hairs. I will say under the nose is the worst place in the world. It will make you cry faster than any other place and I would know since I had some done down below too before I chose Dr. Brassard.

I am a glutton for punishment and have had laser on my legs, chest, belly, face and underarms.

Guest Jaded1

Well I will say, after only one treatment I have noticed some pretty decent results. There are dime sized areas of my face that are just smooth and hairless. These are primarily along my jaw line on the sides and a tiny bit above and below my lips. Also on my neck I have noticed a decrease in the amount and strength of the hair. My chin remains very resiliant but then again the rn that does my laser told me that will be one of the toughest spots.

I go back in a week from monday for my next appointment.

• 2 months later...
Guest ErinJade

To those that did get this done: I've heard even here that it's like 'getting snapped with a rubberband' and that it hurts, but noone actually agreed that that was the sensation. Is it really similar to that? I like to know; I think I have a decent tolerance for pain, but pain still hurts.

I think regardless, though, I dream of the day when I can afford to full clear as much of my body of hair as possible (eyebrows and top-of-head, of course, do not count here). If it hurts, I'll consider it something like getting a reverse-tattoo. (If that even makes sense. lol. Also I've never had a tattoo so I don't know where I'm getting this comparison from.)

Oh gosh, also I had never considered those groupon things for this. I have to see how affordable that might make it where I live. I know electrolysis is extremely expensive, so maybe laser removal would actually be cheaper even with the 'more treatments needed compared to electrolysis' sort of thing?

Also (please don't hate me for spouting questions like crazy here), with laser hair removal, do the hairs ever like... actually grow back? Like, do new follacles ever pop up after the hair's been killed? If so does HRT help with this?

xoxo

That sounds like an amazing (and expensive) place. Do you need a lot of recovery time if you do that?

Well I will say, after only one treatment I have noticed some pretty decent results. There are dime sized areas of my face that are just smooth and hairless. These are primarily along my jaw line on the sides and a tiny bit above and below my lips. Also on my neck I have noticed a decrease in the amount and strength of the hair. My chin remains very resiliant but then again the rn that does my laser told me that will be one of the toughest spots.

I go back in a week from monday for my next appointment.

That's awesome :D I bet that feels absolutely amazing. I hope it continues going well for you :D :D :D

Guest sienna

I'm going for my first laser consultation for my face on Friday. I'm really nervous, but excited at the same time! I'm just going to get a feel for the place and ask questions, get pricing, etc and maybe hold out for a groupon or living social deal. I can't stand body and face hair so sooner the better! I don't think the pain will stop me. After an epilator on legs, chest and tummy, and even getting braces on my teeth years ago I feel like those were pretty painful, but I survived those. I can do this! I can't wait! All the tips and experiences here are really helpful. I hadn't even considered the smell of singed hair lol! Thanks for the heads up!

Sienna

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Right now as it stands I have a few small dark spots remaining but when covered with makeup it just looks like I was probably of Italian descent. With just foundation and powder they're a touch noticeable but nothing that screams 'beard shadow!'

I would say the sensation of getting snapped with a rubber band is close to accurate but for me it's a little more painful than that. Now keep in mind I'm not on HRT so my skin isn't as sensitive or soft as the girls who are on HRT and getting this done, and after the area under the nose is done, you will see a small tear or two falling from my eyes. It could also be that my laser tech is a masochist and once she starts zapping she doesn't stop until she's done with my face and neck. Then as I'm getting out of the chair to recover she's going to the freezer for the ice packs.

Once she's done inflicting pain on my face, then she inflicts pain on my bank account since I have to pay her for doing this to me...

Guest Stormrider2112

Today, my electrologist and I were both in a goofy mood (she loves playing my iPod during my sessions...most of the people that go to her prefer ambient sounds, today, then random playlist happened to land on "Dare To Be Stupid" by Weird Al among other classic rock tunes), so she decided to pop a hair under my nose. All I have to say is that is going to be one terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day (or 4...). I might have to go to Australia with gum in my hair to deal with THAT pain! Emla works well, but not THAT well!

Also, I was at my GT last Thursday (he hates shaving AND hates having a beard), and asked me how my electrolysis was going. He asked if I would recommend it, so I said, "Only if you enjoy being stung by a swarm of bees while being hit in a spot that would win you ten grand on America's Funniest Home Videos."

And yeah, I agree with Lizzy. The pain on your face will be a close second to the pain in your wallet/purse/awesome water bottle/whatever else you carry your money in.