• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Silk'n SensEpil Face and Body Permanent Hair Removal

Guest Nicole163

Guest Nicole163

Hey all!

So, I am quite the skeptic but caved in to get this with my S/O. Has anyone had any results with this that are worth mentioning? I was getting laser treatments and put them on hold to try something less expensive. I've been trying to find some first hand accounts that aren't part of their PR campaign. I've tried it a few times as I'm working up the settings once a week or so just to see, now on the 4th out of 5 settings and I'm getting that "pop" you get like in a laser treatment so I'm not sure time will tell I have a fair complexion and dark hairs so hopefully some good results.

Here's a link if you would like to check this out too...

http://www.silkn.com/About-Silkn-SensEpil

Guest Robin Winter

I certainly hope you keep posting with results. I was interested in that myself but I couldn't find enough reviews to be comfortable making that kind of purchase.

Guest Nicole163

Will do, from what it looks like in the literature I'm an ideal candidate so I should get typical results (in a perfect world) lol. I'll post here week to week and pass on any results from it.

Nikki

Guest Robin Winter

My biggest concern with it is that there was a competitor for that product, I forget the name now but I posted about it a while back, and they simply disappeared. The website disappeared over-night, the phone line was disconnected, the only remaining evidence that it ever existed was a twitter account that hadn't been active for a few months and a few random people looking for information on how to contact the manufacturer.

The two products were essentially identical in their function, which is why I was hesitant to invest in it.

Let me know how it goes =P i would love to pay only 500$ for my laser lol, I seen this one system thats proven to work but it's like $3,000

Guest Karen K

Well, I paid up front for my laser sessions, before I lost my job. So, with the exception of gas money, I not spending anything for my treatments and I've got until Sept 2012 to finish my face. I have very few dark hairs left, a few more treatments, then I will have to switch over to electo to catch the gray ones.

I epliate the rest of my body and with HRT the reduction is very pleasing. Good luch with this unit, let us know how your are progressing.

Laura Jane

Ok, my experience with this was far less than ideal and I am a very good laser candidate as well. It is not particularly effective on facial fur as beard hairs tend to be more deeply rooted than body hair, mine stopped having any effect with only about 10-15% reduction in dark beard hairs. I had more effect from 1 professional laser treatment than I did with 9 treatments with this machine on my beard. I had zero effect after the 6th time on beard.

It has worked fairly well on chest hair though. Haven't been using it lately but with 4 treatments chest hair decreased almost by half. I was only using it on my chest every other time due to longer growth cycles. With my skin now getting much thinner due to hrt, I will probably resume using it on chest and maybe try arms since I have it already.

If it does the trick on arms and chest, I'll call it even. Not sure I want to even think about high powered zapping on my VERY TENDER booblets!

Good luck, it is one of those YMMV things so you never know.

<3

Elena

Guest Robin Winter

Let me know how it goes =P i would love to pay only 500$ for my laser lol, I seen this one system thats proven to work but it's like $3,000

Yikes! You can get a professional electrolysis machine for as little as 700.00 brand new...Might be slower but you know it has a high chance of success.

I have to say, I'm extremely skeptical, simply due to the fact that it says "light-based". Light doesn't kill hair, heat does. If light worked you could sit there with a flashlight against your face and the hair would die.

Guest Robin Winter

I have to say, I'm extremely skeptical, simply due to the fact that it says "light-based". Light doesn't kill hair, heat does. If light worked you could sit there with a flashlight against your face and the hair would die.

IPL is "Intense Pulsed Light". The frequency of the light waves is far from that of a flashlight. I'm not saying this product in particular is worth the money, but IPL systems are commonly used in the medical world, for more than just hair removal. The idea is that the light absorbed by the pigment melanin and turned into heat, killing the follicle. Kind of like wearing a black shirt in the sun, it heats up pretty quick :)

Guest Krisina

They don't even call it IPL. They call it HPL, home pulsed light. Plus they say it is highly affective in permanent hair removal. The only product that is certified by the FDA that I know of as permanent hair removal is electrolysis. Laser treatment is certified by the FDA as permanent hair reduction. The papers they refer to in periodicals for their HPL product are studies done with female hair on the face I am guessing. Totally different to deal with than male facial hair which deeply rooted.

For the face the only way to reduce/remove those deep thick rooted male hairs is through a properly trained, skilled professional with high end eprofessional equipment and preferably the latest equipment either laser or electrolysis. Treating your face by yourself or having a friend is not the way to do the face. The rest of the body hairs might be a different story.

Krisina

Guest Nicole163

Hey all, nice feedback so far...The only 2 home hair removal systems approved by the FDA are the Tria Laser Hair Removal system, and the SensEpil, those are the only 2 I'm aware of cleared by the government for home use.

Here is another review I found done by a male removing his body hair claiming it worked wonders...

http://www.hairremoverreviews.com/silkn-sensepil-reviews/

I've grown to have a love and hate relationship with the YMMV analogy sadly lol.

Guest Nicole163

Double post uh oh! Hate double posting hmm, Ok well I wanted to mention that review was published...today! There's also a lot of comments at the bottom of it too from other users I suppose.

Guest Nicole163

Alright so...its been a week. Its still a bit early to tell, however...I'm on the 4th setting right now using it twice a week thursday and sunday nights. I'm actually getting and feeling a pop similar to what I would get doing laser treatments (not as intense though), I was quite suprised...I have to wonder how the 5th setting would be if I need to move to it, I'll continue using it on the 4th setting for a few more weeks but...I suppose its worth noting the usage of it, and at the setting I'm at now is leaving some light redness thats usually gone within an hour. I'm encouraged by this to be honest. As time progresses I should be able to give a better answer on any hair reduction, I'm wanting to say I see something but its so sparse and such its hard to say definitively.

:D

Until next week...

<3

Nikki

• 5 weeks later...

I actually went to a salon and had my entire face and neck waxed once. (once). :) By the end of the treatment,my face was red and swollen,tears running down my face and I could barely talk. :-D. But- my swelling went down after a few hours and I did enjoy having a smooth face for the next few weeks. Perhaps its time to front up for round two......... :P

• 4 weeks later...

Several years ago, I bought a hand held epilator. Imagine yanking out 10 hairs at once and you get the picture. I pitched it a few weeks ago as I'm house cleaning and getting ready to move. Male hair was brutal whereas hair influenced by HRT might give a different result. I bought my epilator on Ebay for $40 or $50 dollars. I've been home all afternoon after have the Great Saphenous veins in my left leg zaped by laser. They insert a fiber from just above my ankle all the way up into my groin. Tomorrow they are doing the right leg. My doctor did a really great job of numbing up my whole leg. I couldn't feel my toes. My doc was amazed with my legs. I have calves the size of many peoples thighs and I have almost zero subcutaneous fat in my legs. I used to hate taking insulin shots in my legs. A 1/2 inch insulin needle would be into the muscle and it hurt. I've got juvenile diabetes of 30 years.

Kathrynn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Serene

I've done what research I've been able to on the silk'n. It's light based, certainly, but the dark hairs absorb the light and convert it to heat. That heat then travels down the shaft and, if the hair is still connected to the root matrix(which is the first cycle of hair growth) then it is suppossed to kill it and stop hair growth altogether. The multiple treatments for the same area is meant to ensure that all hairs in that area are treated since they will be in different growth stages and it only works for those in the first stage. This is essentially how it is meant to work.

It claims to permanently remove hair and is FDA approved(I'm not sure if there's a difference between FDA approved and FDA certified). It's supposed to remove about 90% of hair altogether and what hair is left is much finer and thin.

I have given in to desperation of having to rid myself of facial hair and have taken my first treatment on the lowest setting. I barely felt anything and I pray this isn't a major dissappointment. I am hoping for the best possible results and will try to post as I progress as well. I also look forward to hearing from your experiences as well! Thank you!

Serene

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Serene

It's been a few weeks now, and I've chosen to treat my face and neck weekly rather than bi-weekly since facial hair typically grows at a faster rate and the growth stages are resultantly shorter. So far I've noticed no difference in hair regrowth, but I'm told I won't start to notice results until the sixth treatment or so. Upon the forth treatment I've raised the setting to its forth level and have felt a brief sear in the folicles, or so it seemed.

I will keep trying and see what happens.

Serene

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Serene

It's been another couple of weeks and time for an update. Sadly there appears little to no reduction in hair growth as I've treated. I don't know if I'm being impatient or not but it's been slightly more than a month now and I feel as if I've made no progress. This is discouraging. I have, however, begun using it on it's highest setting and have smelt burnt hair which is a bit encouraging. A couple more weeks and I'll let you all know if it seems to genuinely work.

Serene

Guest kelise

I hate to dash people's hopes and I'm sorry to anyone who spent their hard-earned money on something like this, but I have to put it to you straight. In my six years of transitioning, I've spent $4981 having two years worth of bi-weekly professional laser treatments done on my face from two different locations and over the course used every professional laser system on the market, plus six hour-long professional electrolysis sessions. I have light skin and mostly dark hair, making me an "ideal candidate" for all treatments. Result: I still shave daily. Although I will say the electro has made some progress, which is a lot more than I can say for the laser. Anyway the point is, the possibility of an "as-seen-on-tv" infomercial-based at home hair removal product doing anything permanent, other than permanently relieving you of some money, is nil.

BTW there are two levels of "FDA approval" one can apply for. One askes the FDA to approve the claim that "this product will not kill you or cause harmful damage" which is rather easy to get and required in order to even sell many products. The other askes the FDA to approve the claim that "this product will actually do what we claim it will do" which can take years to acquire. Just because something is "FDA approved" doesn't mean it's approved to do anything, just that it won't kill you if used properly.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Serene

Interesting... and disheartening. Isn't false advertising illegal?

Well, as for my experience, I am an "ideal candidate" as well, pale skin and dark hair. With my weekly application of using the silk'n epil on my face and neck I am sorry to say that the facial hair is still growing. I called prepaired to return it and am ready to do so, however I was given an extended warrentee because facial hair is much more course, thicker, and more stubborn. I have noticed that my hairs on my face and neck do appear a bit lighter and I will say that using the silk'n epil on feet and shoulders seems to have gotten rid of the majority if hair there. So my assumption is this; the silk'n sense epil does not work well on the face and neck but seems somewhat proficient on hair as found on the arms and legs which it was origionally intended for.

Whatever the case may turn out to be I'll keep everyone posted on my experience, although I believe electrolosis is the best option, if a bit tedious and painful. And thank you.

Serene

I think a good question is, " Does it make the face Smooth and for how long?"

This would be much better way then shaving every 4-5 days with hair showing up within 7 hours after shaving, But sadly my face gets cut up BAD so i got to wait 4-5 days to heal before shaving again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Serene

As it turns out the Silk'n Sense Epil is not the best method of hair removal for the face and neck. After about 3 months of treating weekly I've seen little to no results in reducing facial hair. I've followed the directions but the fact of the matter is it simply did not have the effect I wished. The device itself was designed to treat the shallow hairs on the arms and legs, however the thicker hairs on the face and neck are more deeply rooted so the heat transfer is not intense enough to efficiently damage the root matricies. Sadly I had to resort to returning the device.

As a result I plan to return to my electrolosis treatments as I know that permanently gets rid of hair. Enduring the tedious pain and expenses I imagine it will be worth it to never have to shave my face again since that always results in blood on my towel.

If anyone else plans to try the silk'n device for facial hair then I would warn against it. It's best used on arms and legs.

Serene