• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

three newbie questions

Guest Mikkiapolis

Guest Mikkiapolis

I've read through quite a few posts, and haven't found these questions answered (sorry if I missed them!) My primary interest is facial hair removal.

1) It sounds like using laser first to address dark hair in bulk is recommended, then electrolysis for the rest. Is that the consensus?

2) Is it better to start laser/electrolysis asap (before HRT), or to wait? If the latter, when during HRT does it make most sense?

3) Has anyone "deal surfed" long-term for laser with good results? It seems like going from place to place for a few treatments each might not be as effective? Then again, the cost savings could be huge. Anyone actually done this? I'm tempted (since I'm cheap by nature).

Thanks bunches!

-- Mikkiapolis

Guest ~Brenda~

It all depends upon your make up. Your therapist should be able to help you in making these decisions. Interesting that hardly anyone talks about FFS ,which I consider very important.

Love

Brenda

• Admin

Hi, Mikkiapolis. Answers below

I've read through quite a few posts, and haven't found these questions answered (sorry if I missed them!) My primary interest is facial hair removal.

1) It sounds like using laser first to address dark hair in bulk is recommended, then electrolysis for the rest. Is that the consensus?

Yes, that is what most do, unless they choose to go strictly with electro. If you have mostly or all dark hair, you may never need electrolysis.

2) Is it better to start laser/electrolysis asap (before HRT), or to wait? If the latter, when during HRT does it make most sense?

It depends on a lot of factors, including how dark and dense your beard or beard shadow is, cost and financial priorities, and personal preference.

3) Has anyone "deal surfed" long-term for laser with good results? It seems like going from place to place for a few treatments each might not be as effective? Then again, the cost savings could be huge. Anyone actually done this? I'm tempted (since I'm cheap by nature).

Getting price quotes is always a good idea, then get opinions on how good the best two or three are. Low price isn't always better than high quality. Also, some centers or corporations offer sales, interest-free financing, free touch up, etc.

Thanks bunches!

-- Mikkiapolis

Good luck, hon.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Mikkiapolis

CM> Yes, that is what most do, unless they choose to go strictly with electro. If you have mostly or all dark hair, you may never need electrolysis.

Being 50, I have more grey than I can stand some days! It looks to me like my face is probably 3 or 4 grey hairs to 1 natural dark brown. The laser place told me that grey can sometimes be treated, since it has some pigment, but white hairs cannot. I can't tell if mine are grey or white.

CM> It depends on a lot of factors, including how dark and dense your beard or beard shadow is, cost and financial priorities, and personal preference.

I guess I was wondering if HRT tends to make a big difference in facial hair. If so, maybe it's premature for me to be working on it. Then again, if HRT makes the dark hairs thinner, then they'd be harder to treat even with laser. So with this question I was looking for some sense about how HRT tends to affect hair and how that in turn affects hair removal efforts.

CM> Getting price quotes is always a good idea, then get opinions on how good the best two or three are. Low price isn't always better than high quality. Also, some centers or corporations offer sales, interest-free financing, free touch up, etc.

Yup, that all makes sense. Some (like mine) offer a free (or low-cost) trial laser treatment area ("test patch") during the evaluation as well. I was wondering if anyone has used ONLY deals for laser services, since it's so expensive. I can see advantages to sticking with one treatment facility. But I was curious if anyone had good reasons against going to a few different (yet quality) places using deals to save a lot of (precious) money.

I have my first laser evaluation tomorrow including a test patch. I'll share an update afterwards. Thanks for the input!

-- Mikkiapolis

• Admin

Mikkiapolis, my hair was mostly grey, with a little white. I am very happy with the results I got. For most folks, HRT will make no difference with facial hair, and I wouldn't count on it. Lastly, I paid about $1,600 for 12 monthly treatments, which seemed reasonable, and a whole lot cheaper than electrolysis. It was a sale price.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Mikkiapolis

Thanks, Carolyn, I really appreciate hearing about how it worked for you. That does help, especially with as much grey and white hair as I have.

My "test patch" today went well. Three small areas, no skin reaction at all (so far, 8 hours later). This was with a "diode laser", which (if I heard between the lines correctly) was the least painless one they had (they have 4 lasers, were busy today, but squeezed me in).

Each laser burst felt like a little electric zap. Like a TENS unit pulse, or like when you put your tongue on a 9-volt battery. My next 3 treatments are to be with their

"alma laser", which apparently covers more area and is much more comfortable (yay).

Assuming I buy up to their package, I think I'll end up with up to 18 (probably more like 8-12) treatments for about $1100. So I feel like I am getting a good price at a good place.