• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What are you listening to today?

Guest LizMarie

• Forum Moderator

@Jani Loved Bodhisattva from the moment I first heard it and they played it at the University of Toledo in 1972? Rikki is also a favorite. Believe or not my favorite that always takes my back in time and is even more relevant today..

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heather Shay

• Davie

• Cyndee

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

Jani is correct, he is an under rated guitar player, had this one on a 8 track so long ago,  it's an open highway tune......

Thanks sis....

• Forum Moderator

I've seen Robin 3 times - all in the 1970's loved James Dewar on vocals - we did several of his songs - Day of the Eagles was my favorite to play.

I saw him at the Toledo Agora where he opened for Rory Gallagher - what an amzing show that was....

• Forum Moderator

James had a phenomonal voice and always played a great bass behind Robin.   Day of the Eagle is so cool!  

Trower and Gallagher must have been one big guitar fest!  

• Forum Moderator

Love her voice, a song that just makes me cry, and brings such deep joy, a lovely vibe this morning....

"live on in my memory"

Beth Orton - Whenever (1996)

• Forum Moderator

The first thing in my mind as the emotions flow over me and I move forward and out of joy for @Kylie and @Katharina and their successful surgeries and their recoveries - I am filled with tears of joy. So I decided to google the song title Tears of Joy and this came up and I never heard it before - but having had Joe Cocker and Paul Rodgers and Greg Allman has my first Gospel-ish vocal mentors it was a joy to find a Gospel song - I'm crying tears of joy and you here at TransPulse Forum have made it happen....Thank You

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

here's a live version - one day I will sing it in my full transitioned form and voice.... Peace

• Forum Moderator

Continuing with the Joy theme, can't forget this...

The tears become a "sea of joy"

• Forum Moderator

A super group that was here and then gone.  Steve Winwood's vocals are so unique and who would have thought there would be a violin in one of their songs?  Thanks Cyndee. 

• Forum Moderator

I love the violin in that song, it gives it such character Jani.....

and yes they came and went so fast, leaving such a wonderful legacy, a point in time, a place holder in music history. That album still sounds great today, it happens to be in my CD changer.... as I've been revisiting it in the past few weeks.

• Forum Moderator

Not to be snobbish but there was such an explosion of music from all corners back in that era.  The mixing of genre's, tempo's, timing changes, instruments, and lyrics was unheard of.  I think today's music owes so much to the 60's and early 70's artists.

• Forum Moderator

and my favorite Blind Faith song................

I think back in the 60s and 70s there was more raw talent than there is now.

No auto tune software for voice tracks for example.

Not to mention these bands did shows night after night not just a few gigs here and there.

I still want to work like that.  Because no venues, you can't do it in one convenient home place.  So you find yourself solo because noone wants that pace.  Solo=noone has your back=vulnerable, scared, sad.

Of course covid now wants us to think everything's over, and that there is no reality outside of the devices they sell us.

Anyone out there want to break this box open?

I need to get into NJ or NY I think

• Forum Moderator

The covid thing is really sad for artists plain and simple, for example we currently have a state wide live music ban here in WA state. No gigs, no festivals, no fun. We still hold concert tickets for a band that can't play here, it's been rescheduled for next year.

It's not going to last forever, just have to be resourceful in the interim. I love to travel, I look forward to getting back on the road when this mess subsides....

• Forum Moderator

There is a venue here in Londonderry that's doing concerts in their parking lot.  You have to stay in your car though.  Its tough, I miss going to concerts.

Listened to so Charlie Farren today.  He was lead singer in Joe Perry's "Joe Perry Project" and in a number of other bands, most notable Farren/Heit.  He's a cool personality! 

This is an acoustic tune for his friend Brad Delp of "Boston" who lived about 15 minutes from me.    

• Forum Moderator

So sad about Barry Delp. Tom Sholz is from the rich suburb of Toledo called Ottawa Hills. I lived in Toledo , not Ottawa Hills but it was cool to have him from near by. They were good in concert. Saw them right after the first album broke BIG. Another Robin Trower concert at the Toledo Sports Arena with Boston opening.

• Forum Moderator

Isn't it amazing how acts will go from Opening to Headliner and back again?  Sometimes there are odd combinations too, like Hendrix opening for the Monkees.

• Forum Moderator

In keeping with the Boston theme, when I heard this in '76 it was some of the best orchestrated rock music I'd ever heard, just love this medley and arrangement. I bought a "Half Speed Mastered" vinyl copy CBS made, and still have it, it was a great test for dynamic range in a modern stereo of the day, sure sounds great in digital now....love it...

• Forum Moderator

I love that intro!  Sort of ELP like?   

So do you have to play the Half Speed Master at half speed or is that just the speed the master was cut at?  I can imagine the master had much better clarity.  

• Forum Moderator
43 minutes ago, Jani said:

I love that intro!  Sort of ELP like?   

So do you have to play the Half Speed Master at half speed or is that just the speed the master was cut at?  I can imagine the master had much better clarity.  

Thanks for your question Jani, CBS records made a limited number of Boston's first album cut with half speed mastering, released in 1980, and sold them to collectors back then at a premium (~ $ 20). They were cut at half speed, just as google explains below. Last I checked on E bay they were fetching about a hundred dollars today. They were sought after for their superior dynamic range on a vinyl medium.......

What exactly is half-speed mastering? It's a vinyl cutting process whereby the disc-cutting lathe for an LP is run at half the speed – so for an album that would be 16 and two thirds, which is half of 33 and a third – and the master source is run at half the speed as well.