• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Epilating woes!

Guest Misaka

Guest Misaka

Hi! I hope you don't mind, I'm typing one handed to give me SOMETHING to distract me from this epilator. Bought one from boots, and it arrived today, I used to shave my legs but havn't for a couple of days so the hair is just on the verge of long enough to get picked by an epilator and.. Oh GOD the pain! It burns like the fire of a thousand suns! Apparently it gets better with each time you do it, but WOW. From someone who doesn' event have particularly thick leg hair, just.. wow. I didn't realise they even made pain in this flavour. I've gotten to just above the knee on one leg. I've downed the best part of a bottle of red, and as many Neurofen as I can safely take and it's not getting any less painfull. The part that iv'e done doesn't even feel that smooth compared to having just been shaved : ( Hopefully after a couple of weeks of doing it it'l be smoother?

Everyone says it gets better with time, and well, I hope so! I'm a bit of a wimp and not that resistant to pain :D Is there anyone here who uses them full time who can convince me it's worth doing carrying on? :D Does it REALLY get better or is that just what they say to con you into more pain?! >_< Also does anyone know anything you can do (obviously safe and legal please! :D) to make it hurt less that doesn't involve wine? :D

• Root Admin

Yeah, the epilator has got to be one of the most evil, inhumane torture devices ever invented. It does get less painful over time. I've used one for several years and now I hardly feel anything as the hairs are being pulled. Not all hairs grow back at the same rate so when you feel some stubble coming back in, go over the area again. The less hairs that have to be pulled, the less painful it will be. The more you use it the less painful it will be. About once a week keeps me pretty well cleaned off. One word of caution. If you intend to go up around your privates, keep the skin taut. These things can bite like a rabid honey badger.

MaryEllen

Guest carolynn2fem

Yes Misaka it is worth it. being using one for ten years. I used to have to do it once a week. now its like every 2-3 week. I wish i could get the same results on my face. maybe in a couple more years.I've only used from the ears down for the last 2.

Guest Misaka

Hehe, thanks :D I'll bear that in mind! I think I'm going to stop, I've got.. some? most? part of? one leg done. The other can wait untill tomrrow, I can barely see straight and I don't want to smell of booze for work tomorrow! The worst part is how LONG it takes, I avoided waxing because I've heard it's very sticky and messy etc but it has to be better than this? Literally, I got back from work, took a bath, and started. This was at like 6pm, it's now half 11 UK and i have one leg done. Having to keep taking breaks because it hurts so bad slows it down so much!...

Still, soldier on! Must.. be .. pretty!

• Root Admin

It will go quicker once you've done the first clearing. Don't give up. It'll get better. :)

MaryEllen

Guest The Avatar

So, once upon a time... I decided to epilate my face. (I'm have thick mexican hair BTW)

It took eight hours, six packs of bubblegum, and two $80 epilators. Halfway through I went to Target (or Tar-jay as I sometimes call it) with a bloody face and, in a Kurt Hummel/Tim Gunn like fashion, said to the cashier:

"The machine broke halfway across. I'd like a refund."

That was one of those struggling with transition mental break down moments for me.

The wounds cleared up after about two weeks. Until then, I just enoyed being a valet and saying:

"Here's your car Ma'am" with a bruised and bloody (But hairless) face.

What I learned: Never take an epilator to the face.

Even if you get all the hairs off it doesn't work out the way you think it will. You also get ingrown hairs.

Guest Melissa~

So, once upon a time... I decided to epilate my face. (I'm have thick mexican hair BTW)

It took eight hours, six packs of bubblegum, and two $80 epilators. Halfway through I went to Target (or Tar-jay as I sometimes call it) with a bloody face and, in a Kurt Hummel/Tim Gunn like fashion, said to the cashier:

"The machine broke halfway across. I'd like a refund."

That was one of those struggling with transition mental break down moments for me.

The wounds cleared up after about two weeks. Until then, I just enoyed being a valet and saying:

"Here's your car Ma'am" with a bruised and bloody (But hairless) face.

What I learned: Never take an epilator to the face.

Even if you get all the hairs off it doesn't work out the way you think it will. You also get ingrown hairs.

-and I can tell you even a complete clearing comes right back. It seems like there are always new ones just waiting to break out of their little follicle prisons and pollute my face. It really does take numerous complete clearings with follicle destruction to get the face done.

Guest carolynn2fem

Yes You are right. I dont often go for a complete clear cut but thinning out the forest feels much better than thick grouth.

Guest Robin Winter

Yeah, the epilator has got to be one of the most evil, inhumane torture devices ever invented. It does get less painful over time. I've used one for several years and now I hardly feel anything as the hairs are being pulled. Not all hairs grow back at the same rate so when you feel some stubble coming back in, go over the area again. The less hairs that have to be pulled, the less painful it will be. The more you use it the less painful it will be. About once a week keeps me pretty well cleaned off. One word of caution. If you intend to go up around your privates, keep the skin taut. These things can bite like a rabid honey badger.

MaryEllen

2w3uhib.jpg

Too true lol.

Guest otter-girl

These things can bite like a rabid honey badger.

MaryEllen

MaryEllen! Thank you for making my SO and I laugh til we nearly died. :)

Shilo. Please dont epliate the cat! It wont like it. :)

Hugs

Rachel

Guest Apany

I just try my new epilator today. I stopped when I needed to recharge it. I've only done 80% of a leg. Mind you it's the first time I try this method and before I came on the forum I had the same question as Misaka. I never thought it will be that painful. I wax half a leg once when I stopped because it was really inefficient. The pain was really bearable but it's nothing compare to the epilator. I even bought one who is suppose to be less painful... I guess I don't support the pain as well as I thought (sigh). I found a site with some good tips, I which it will be really helpful for my second leg. I don't know, I might try to drink some alcool because my skin becomes a little numb at a point. OH why my endorphin or my andrenaline don't kick in when I need it...

That being said, the epilator if it become less painful each time I use it, it will be really money and time efficient. Right now it just take forever because of the pain. I thought it will be a good idea to use it on my chest and belly but I not sure it will be a good idea anymore. I will see after I finish my second leg.

Guest Misaka

Yeah, alcohol doesn't help, just so you know :D

I tried waxing today because I just couldn't take the pain from epilating. Waxing is SO much easier, its very messy though so i wont do it agian but hopefully now most of hte hair is gone, "maintainance and touchups" wont be so painfull!

Guest carolynn2fem

Hi Apany

The pain realy does decrease each time you use it. You will see a big differnce is the level of pain between now and 6 months from now. I'd say just stick with Your legs for now and add more area as time progresses. your skin will feel 10x smoother over using a blade.

I prefer the NON battery models and buy them from bed bath and beond for about 80 bucks. over the course of a year I would spend 80 dollars worth in mach 3 razor blades to just shave my legs, cost wise it was the same.

Guest Apany

Today, I reach the breaking point, no more epilator for at least a week or maybe two. I was doing my arms when my brain wasn't able to handle this horrible torture anymore (was beginning to shake). At least I've done my two beautiful legs full of red spots and blood... SEXY! I waxed last week a 1/6 of a leg and I noticed when I passed with the epilator at this spot it wasn't as painful. So, next week or the other one should be easier and "enjoyable" to do. Took me the whole weekend to finish them (3 days).

The fact I'm hairy like a monkey doesn't help either. I think this device wasn't made for ppl like me, but at least I passed the first test. Sigh finaly... For the rest of my body, I will try to wax it or see a professional to do it. After, 2 or 3 time, I might be able to use to epilator on those body part without to much pain.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Maria22222

I'll admit that it does take a few uses to get accustomed to an epilator, but it get's easier every time. You have to make sure the hair isn't too long. That will cause pain. I also brush some baby powder on before I epilate and wipe my face down afterward with witch hazel. Yes, my face. I've been epilating it for six years and am very happy. I have very few hairs left and they come out easily. It's no different than using an electric razor for me nowdays. I epilate my whole body and even down there, although very carefully. Ha ha. It's great going for weeks without having to do any removal. The hairs come back softer and thinner every time too. I wish all my hair was gone (other than up above), but can live with this as the alternative. My two cents.

:P :P :P :P

Guest For the Quinn

I rely on waxing and my epilator for a good bit of my torso hair removal, and overall it does a pretty good job, and I've learned to tolerate the pain. However, no matter how much I exfoliate, shower, and apply alcohol beforehand, I always end up breaking out with 100s of follicle pustules on my sensitive skin, which is less than fun and takes several days to abate. <_<

Any suggestions on what else I can do to prevent these breakouts? Thanks!