• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Playstation 3 vs x box 360

Flint

Playstation 3 VS x box 360  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer as a games console?

• X box 360
    • Playstation 3

I know some people may like them both, but really think about which one is the BEST. it'd just be interesting to know what people think.

Guest MissSiul

I have the Xbox260,but I kinda regret buying it,The online mode is free in Playstation as far as I know.And playstation seems to have some of the better games(like Beyond Two Souls) while xbox have a lot f shooters(not my thing).

Guest Maria_B

To my understanding, most PS3's don't support a large range of PS2 discs.

I know mine doesn't let me play FFX. Thats why I kept my PS2 ^_^

Xbox 360 here.

Most of my friends own both and generally hate their PS3s. My Boyfriend likes his PS3 for 2 reasons, Blu Ray because it's not just for movies. Games that span multiple discs on Xbox are one disc with PS3 and also he likes the Netflix App on PS3 better.

I hear from everyone that PSN (Plays station network) is just very poorly done for multiple reasons and that there really is no community on PS3. I had a friend of mine bragging on facebook that she actually made an enemy on PS3 like it was some kind of achievement o.o

There are quite a few sony only titles even I am interested in which is why I am glad my boyfriend has PS3, but for gaming with friends I love my Xbox. It has been everything I ever wanted in a console and I've not had any issues with it in almost 4 years.

On drawback to Xbox actually having a "community" is that there are way too many jerks on there... and waaay too many little kids. I find myself having to play mommy often to little kids on Xbox Live. Idk why they cling to me so much ><.

Honestly though I am a newly converted PC Gamer. My Boyfriend bought me Left4Dead 2 on Steam and I had a blast! I also found it easier too aim with the mouse than with the right stick I have to use on Xbox. Not only that, Fans make some great mods that actually improve the game's experience, like combat mods for Skyrim, enhanced and more realistic lighting effects etc. If you have the money to invest in a decent computer for gaming it has been by far my preferred method over consoles lately.

I do love my consoles for coonvenience though. I'm not a very technical person so it's great I have so many close friends who are xD

All systems have their pros and cons realy but all the people I know who own both prefer Xbox, and those who only have one only have a 360.

Guest Holly S

I prefer the PS3. It's got more "oomph" than the Xbox 360, and I expect that as the Xbox looses it's shine, game developers will finally start making PS3 only games that take advantage of it's power. In terms of an online community... the main game I play right now is Battlefield 3, and there's always a good number of my clan members online. We've had some good laughs.

I agree that a PC would deliver the best experience, but most of us can't afford anything by alienware.

The pros to the xbox over the PS3... cheaper, some people prefer the controllers, if you are a massive HALO fan then there's that (although there are plenty of great PS3 only games out there too).

The pros to the PS3 over Xbox... free internet, blueray, more mature community in general, 1 disk per game, will probably last longer, some people prefer the PS3 controllers believe it or not. Tech support is very friendly and helpful in my experience (although the issue that caused me to call tech support wasn't so great).

I think, if your going to be playing offline mainly, or your friends have helpfully volunteered to pay you for the privilege of playing with them online, then get an Xbox. If you are going to be playing online a lot, or want to be able to watch movies on it too, then get a PS3. If your rolling in cash, then get a great PC, a nice big screen, and maybe a surround sound system to go with it.

Disclaimer: Although I have been trying my hardest not to be biased, some of my own opinions may have creeped in.

Hugs,

Holly

Guest shortnsweet

I've been playing more PS3 lately, but that's only because I have a feeling my Xbox 360 is dangerously close to its second RROD (red ring of death).

Guest Megan_Lynn

Am not nor will ever be a fan of Xbox systems... And just how ugly are them green game cases(yuck)..I have a orignal backwards compatable PS3 and it plays every ps1 and ps2 game I have put in it flawlessly. love the fact the controler is the same style since the first playstaion ( do not fix what is not broken)..The PS3 gives me everything I could desire from a gaming system and more..

Guest Jo-88

This is a loaded question and needs more context! When you say better by what metrics do you mean? From a purely hardware centric technical aspect the PS3 is superior in every way, it is quite a bit more powerful than a 360. Because of this extra power the PS3 supports more technical features like anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering (like a PC) where as the 360 cannot do this. However the architecture of the PS3's cell processor array makes it extremely difficult and costly to develop for, in fact it's just in the last 2 years or so that the developers are starting to actually be able to use all that power because of the learning curve.

The 360 is also cheaper than a PS3, because of these factors the 360 is more attractive to more developers because it is easier and cheaper to develop for, and the cost of entry for the consumer is lower therefore it is more likely to reach a larger audience and sell more copies (so it has a much higher theoretical profit margin).

So to answer your question it really all comes down to the games. For some developers the 360 simply doesn't have enough horsepower for them to realize their creative vision of their game so they stick to PS3. For other developers it makes more business sense to develop for 360. Then there is the issue of franchise/game exclusivity... for example, if you really dig halo, then 360 is your system, period.

However if your comparing apples to apples with cross platform games (the same title available on both 360 and PS3) and you're strictly talking about technical aspects of the games from the consumer's viewpoint then the PS3 is the clear winner... it is going to give you better visuals, less lag, more features, quicker load times etc... The only two scenarios I could see where a consumer would want the 360 version of the game vs the PS3 version (assuming they don't already own either console) is that they want to save money and/or they prefer the 360's controller over the PS3 controller (I am one of those people, and I am a Halo nerd so it is the 360 for me).... well and if they really like xbox live.

Guest Jo-88

love the fact the controler is the same style since the first playstaion ( do not fix what is not broken)..

This is actually my biggest complaint about the PS3, first there are two versions of the controller, the six-axis and the dual shock 3. One has motion controls and the other has force feedback but neither has both (as far as I know anyway) so you have to choose between the two (dualshock would be my preference, and I guess you could say having a choice is better than having no choice like the 360). I also dislike the layout of the thumbsticks, I much prefer the offset layout on the 360 vs the side by side on the PS3... I also prefer the concave thumb grips on the 360 vs the convex thumb grips on the PS3, after a few hours of gaming I start to sweat and I find my fingers start slipping off the PS3 thumb grips really easily (usually at a really bad time) but I've never had that problem with the 360 controller.

Guest Velanna

I prefer 360 just cause my brother got me hooked on FPSs from such an early age! My brother bought Halo: CE when it first came out for Xbox and I remember playing it for TONS of hours on end! lol Then when Halo 2 came out...well, suffice to say that I have probably lost about 10,000 hours of my life playing that game in total. Not a big fan of Halo 3, though. Halo: Reach is alright! Can't wait to see what Halo 4 will be like! :)

As far as PS3 goes, I have no reason to hate cause I've never owned one. But I MUCH prefer playing RPGs on computer than on PS3. And racing and fighting games don't appeal to me. So there's not much the PS3 can offer that would to my liking. Maybe one day I'll try it out!

Guest otter-girl

The Xbox360 controller is simply the best design I've ever seen and who ever did it deserves a Nobel prize :)

Other than that its really down to the gameplay of a particular game as its getting to the point where outstanding graphics v super outstanding graphics doesnt really matter.

Hugs

Rachel

Guest ZxCathy

Both consoles are pretty good Xbox has got avatars, PS3 has got Home and plays Blu Ray

Both more or less get the same games, except exclusives

It comes down to choice and maybe what your friends have

Ive got both so I get the best of both worlds

Guest Maria_B

I love the xbox avatars, but they seem like such a take off of Mii's. >____>.

That being said, Xbox has Halo and Project Gotham. Well, just Project Gotham these days, so I'll probably always have one.

Guest Metal

I'm mainly a PC gamer but when it comes to consoles I prefer the PS3 more than the xbox. I used to own both consoles as I wanted to play my favorite PS3 game on XBL but i've sold my ps3 and given away my xbox (to my kid bro) a couple years ago.

This is a loaded question and needs more context! When you say better by what metrics do you mean? From a purely hardware centric technical aspect the PS3 is superior in every way, it is quite a bit more powerful than a 360. Because of this extra power the PS3 supports more technical features like anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering (like a PC) where as the 360 cannot do this. However the architecture of the PS3's cell processor array makes it extremely difficult and costly to develop for, in fact it's just in the last 2 years or so that the developers are starting to actually be able to use all that power because of the learning curve.

The 360 is also cheaper than a PS3, because of these factors the 360 is more attractive to more developers because it is easier and cheaper to develop for, and the cost of entry for the consumer is lower therefore it is more likely to reach a larger audience and sell more copies (so it has a much higher theoretical profit margin).

So to answer your question it really all comes down to the games. For some developers the 360 simply doesn't have enough horsepower for them to realize their creative vision of their game so they stick to PS3. For other developers it makes more business sense to develop for 360. Then there is the issue of franchise/game exclusivity... for example, if you really dig halo, then 360 is your system, period.

However if your comparing apples to apples with cross platform games (the same title available on both 360 and PS3) and you're strictly talking about technical aspects of the games from the consumer's viewpoint then the PS3 is the clear winner... it is going to give you better visuals, less lag, more features, quicker load times etc... The only two scenarios I could see where a consumer would want the 360 version of the game vs the PS3 version (assuming they don't already own either console) is that they want to save money and/or they prefer the 360's controller over the PS3 controller (I am one of those people, and I am a Halo nerd so it is the 360 for me).... well and if they really like xbox live.

I don't know enough about consoles and technical stuff, to really add much context. More of a general question as to what people prefer I guess game choice wise, graphic wise, controller wise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I got hold of a PS3 2 years ago but have hardly played on it. I used to be on my PS1 all the time but games have moved on a lot since those days. I got the console to play F1 2010 but never played it because I fell for GT5 instead. Then my boyfriend got me Mass Effect 2 when it came out because he said that BioWare had made lots of ace games and that I'd like the sci-fi side of it too. I fell in love with the game but just really struggled to mice and aim properly with the thumb sticks. So I got the PC version and found the controls to be so much more intuitive. So aart from the odd game here abd there the console just gathers dust now whilst I play games on my Core i7 laptop.

Guest Just_Amy

I perfer Ps3,Because of the Xbox lvie community is somewhat immature.I like xbox Because it has Those games ps3 Dont have to offer but Psn is free unlike Xbl which cost an extra 5-8$ To play in which psn is free.So i rather go with ps3 for that lol

• 1 month later...

I have both (and a wii) and like them all but lately I have been playing more on my 360 so I voted for it.

Very rarely play online on my consoles though they are all connected to the internet but what little experience I have is

that people are a little bit nicer on the ps3 online games than xbox live.

Never played on 360, when i went to replace my old Xbox i asked around and everyone said PS3

Glad i have it for the 3D if nothing else, so cool watching movies in 3D at home

On the down side i've yet to find a game that i really get hooked on

Just picked up Battleship and Maddon 13 the other day, haven't checked them out yet

Guest Luuceee

I have both but never ever use my xbox, i love the ps3 so tend to buy games on that. I used to go on playstation home a lot but its full of weirdos that try to chat me up all the time so dont use that feature so much anymore.