• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How To Sound Like A Girl

Guest chibi_usa

Did This Help?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. This helped right?

• Yes
    • No

Guest chibi_usa

How I did it.

-----------------Mickey mouse

---------------------- l

guy voice--------l--l ------girl voice

-------------------- l----l

------------------- l------l

I just wanted 2 help ^^

1. Reach mickey mouse, like say sumthing with using this> http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...s2/music/piano/ . Btw dont scream it out or sumtin.

2.Then when you do get to the highest point, ur voice starts cracking up

3. Keep it like that (check ur adams apple) It should disappear if you did it right

4. Just exhale, like just sigh, u'll prob sound like a girl. You'll feel kinda weird like ur throat closes together or sumtin like that.

5. Check you adams apple again

6. Talk and record

After you do all this just start singing or something heard it helps alot ^^

Btw DO NOT drink milk when doing this :( I heard it coats your throat). Instead drink water, or even better, water+honey+lemon

If it starts to hurt STOP! You'll just end up straining and then like... You know... you just can't talk for a few days

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Websites to help you out

CandiFla(Just find the right videos)-http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=candiFLA&view=videos

http://www.tsroadmap.com/voice/transsexual-voice.html

http://www.genderlife.com/shop/transsexual...spectrogram.htm

http://www.tsvoice.com/ <talk 2 other ppl

http://www.exceptionalvoice.com/transgender.html

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_...s2/music/piano/ <Talk and try 2 do high pitch w/ the piano

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OacKyIdIg

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWIzpW_X20&...feature=related

I will find/add more when I have the time! ^_^

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paula ult

• ElegantLady

Guest Elizabeth K

Tell me - tell me how - I wanna magic pill - awwwww

I have an audio CD - its good - its hard to do - its gonna be the hardest part of transitioning!

Yikes - FTM just - have - it - happen (Testosterone)

MTF - we just do what we can - especially after all the years of Testosterone poisoning (how's that for a statement!).

• 5 weeks later...
Guest chibi_usa

Excercise #1:

The female voice I've discovered feels like it sits "behind" your normal speaking voice. After I had used it for a while, I found there were two easy to get to this place - a place your voice does not usually go while you are speaking. The first way is with Falsetto, the second way is by gargling.

A. Falsetto:

Start with your highest falsetto. If you sound like a cartoon character with big round ears that lives in Anaheim, you've got it! Now take that voice and bring the pitch down as low as you can WITHOUT BREAKING YOUR VOICE. You see, if you break your voice it will "come out front" again, and you'll be using the full voice box for modulation - just what you don't want. Take your voice down as low as you can go in falsetto. That's the spot. You will notice that neither the top nor bottom of your larynx is vibrating very much, if at all. Now, before I explain what to do once you get to that spot, let's examine the other method of arriving there. If you try both methods, one will work best for you. Also, by trying both, you will have a better sense - a "cross reference" of where your voice needs to be.

B. Gargling:

Just go back in your throat the way you do when you gargle and make that standard gargling sound. When you do, you will automatically tighten up your throat. You will find that your voice is resonating from exactly the same place either with the lowest falsetto or the gargling. However, with the gargling, you can actually feel both the top and bottom of your larynx vibrating.

The point you want to reach for this voice is the center between where you put your voice to gargle and the lowest falsetto you have. Some people like to do character voices for fun. If you can do a little old man or old woman, say "The Alludium Q38 Space Modulator, or do the Wicked Witch of the West,you are very near the spot. As I mentioned before, the first time I found this voice I hit it by accident. Then I got stuck. So if you try this exercise and are not living full- time as a woman, make sure you have an hour or so to find your way back to male voice just in case.

Now, what you are actually learning to do is develop one set of the muscles on your larynx while not using the others at all. This is a tough trick -kind of like wiggling your ears or patting your head while you rub yourtummy. It takes practice - LOT'S of practice.But don't practice too much right at the start. Once you find the voice it is such a magical experience that you want never to come back. But you will find that using the lower set of muscles to do all the work leads to hoarseness at first. This is your body's way of telling you that you should knock off for a while.

I found that during the first week I used this voice, I could only go about half an hour or so before I got hoarse. Then, I had the good sense to rest my voice. Just like doing exercises for the body, you don't want to do too much too fast of you will injure yourself. For me, it took about six months to fully develop my voice to the point I could use it all day long. Then, it took another six months to fully develop loudness and dynamic range. But these things did come with practice and patience. I imagine that eventually, the other muscles at the top might atrophy if, like me, you just don't use them at all. However, for those of you switching back and forth, both will stay in tone and like me, even now after four years, I can still call up the old voice if I have to. For me, that's about once a year when I need to demonstrate to a friend that it is possible to do this.

So, don't push it. I'm no medical doctor. I can't tell you exactly what's going on physically, nor can I guarantee you won't cause yourself problems. I can merely say that for me, I have been using this voice for over four years with no apparent ill effects.

Btw I just copied and pasted it.

Credits to- Melanie Anne Phillips

Hope it helps ^^

• 4 months later...

This helped SOOOOO much! Anybody who is working on their voice, needs to read this. After only a few attempts, I managed to find the general location of my voice. I need to get a lot more control over the muscles, but this is a HUGE step-up from where I was before.

I actually sounded like a girl for a second. A high-pitched squeaky girl that sounded like she was trying to be a cartoon character- but it was a GIRL. Once I get this down, working on the other aspects like pitch and tone will be almost easy. I can't wait to start sounding truly female...

Guest nymphblossom

I've been working on my voice since the beginning of March. The progress has been slow but steady. I raised my voice range NINE notes by teaching myself to sing head voice. Practicing the "Doe a deer a female deer" song, I have raised it another FOUR!

I need structured exercises and the free on-line Deep Stealth program has been working miracles for me. Here's the link:

http://www.deepstealth.com/freebook/

I keep track of my progress and compare my voice to female voice samples I have with free audio software call Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

and Spectrogram 5.1.6

http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram.html

My therapist offered to be a non judgemental listener. I hope to take her up on that at my next session :)

YOU CAN DO IT!

Blossom

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chibi_usa

Haha ^.^ Well thanks feel free 2 add things on this post because... well... alot of things :) So please add more things :) I'll be helping other ppl out uhhh later :) Just PM me and I'll try 2 help :P Actually im going 2 make a post in a few min o.o"" wtever lol!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest S. Chrissie
Start with your highest falsetto. If you sound like a cartoon character with big round ears that lives in Anaheim, you've got it! Now take that voice and bring the pitch down as low as you can WITHOUT BREAKING YOUR VOICE. You see, if you break your voice it will "come out front" again, and you'll be using the full voice box for modulation - just what you don't want. Take your voice down as low as you can go in falsetto. That's the spot.

Somehow I still can't get it. Perhaps I am doing it wrongly >.< I did the falsetto part, getting down to the voice break part, but I normally talk with the voice before the voice break occur... @.@

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LightNebula
Somehow I still can't get it. Perhaps I am doing it wrongly >.< I did the falsetto part, getting down to the voice break part, but I normally talk with the voice before the voice break occur... @.@

I can't get it either. =/ *pats*

Guest chibi_usa

Heyyyy :3 I think u should try 2 find a song u like. Like one that goes up and down up and down (the pitch thingie) Because u need both. If you do ur mickey mouse voice and do that it should help a little at 1st. Helps 4 sum ppl :3. Kay as for the girl voice I found out an easy way :3 ummm Well its not perfect but ur girl voice is around there.

1. Open your mouth

2. Put your tongue on the back of ur upper front teeth

3. Remember that feeling and try talking ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest chibi_usa

What might help you get your girl voice is if you

1. Move your tongue to the roof of your mouth

2. Push against your upper back teeth

3. REMEMBER THAT FEELING

4. And try talking

It might be weird >.> But it still works o.o

Remember get a voice recorder so u can tell if u should do it higher or lower! <3 ^.^ GL!!!

Guest AshleyRF

I've been asked many many times how I got my voice. I wish I knew honestly. I think most of it is that I just never had a deep voice to begin with. The only thing I ever did to practice was to sing with female singers while riding to and from work to perfect it. I changed the speech pattern some and changed my annunciation of words, but other than that I didn't have to alter the pitch much. I was extremely lucky.

Guest nymphblossom

Thank you for posting another link, Charlotte! The hardest part of developing a "typical" female spectrogram for me is getting the smooth ramp to the 170-220 hz frequency range. It has alot to do with the shape of the soft pallet, diaphram pressure and breathiness. The amplitude of the female range is coming with time and so is narrowing the drop off between the female range and the first harmonic. I have spent alot of time lately singing which aside from developing vocal control seems to be helping.

Blossom

Guest nymphblossom

I realized it might be helpful to see actual Spectrogram and Audacity curves, sooo I just did a recording to show you what I mean:

Me.jpg

You can see the typical female voice range of 170-220 hz in red on the Spectrogram curve. You don't want alot of stray stuff below the 170 line.

In the Audacity curve at the right, you can see the smooth ramp to female range, the lower amplitude of my voice range in those frequencies, and the dead band I have to the first harmonic. I've been working at it an hopur a day for six months.

Hope that helps :)

Blossom

• 1 month later...
Guest chibi_usa

Oh by the way I *thought* I lost my girl voice because I was coughing alot so I stopped practicing. Anyways after I started I was like OMG I lost my girl voice o.o"" My two friends who had voice training told me that I wasnt breathing when I did my girl voice so I sounded all nasally*. Anyways So like ya o.o""... I guess I didn't breathe because I felt nervous and all that :3...Another lesson learned: YOU SHOULD BREATHE when you talk. Not sound like as if u held ur nose o.o"" LOLOL! >.>""

(oh ya I'm putting it on this post 2 becuz this was the post I was supposed 2 post in I just got braindead because of all the topics I made) SRRY! >.>""