• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Leg Hair Removal: Epilady

Zufrieden

I've certainly tried enough hair removal methods. I wanted to put a post on about the "Epilady" that I use. Image my surprise when I discoverd that the model I use is almost 20 years old! Jeez. I've used a couple of brands with a rotating spring or a rotating slotted rubber rod. They basically pull the hairs out by the root. Yes, they are about as much fun as it sounds. They work better on tight skin, that is lower legs are easy, upper legs are better with a bit of tension on the skin. The hairs should be a couple of days long to work well. It gets easier as the hairs start coming in at different times instead of all at once. You'll probably need to finish up with a razor.

I'll have to try out the new model:

Epilady Epilators

Z.

• Root Admin

Hi Zufrieden,

There are several epilators on the market. I personally use a Philips Satinelle. Braun and Emjoi also make epilitors that have good ratings. A word of caution. Whenever using an epilator, keep the skin taut in the area you are epilating. These things can bite like a Tasmanian Devil.

MaryEllen :)

An embarrassment of riches. So many models to choose from. It seem like all the manufacturers have gravitated towards the same technology, rotating disks. It wasn't that way when they started out.

So do you have to finish up with a razor, Mary Ellen? These new models seem to be able to get shorter hairs than ever before. I've read reviews were people have said that they've also used it on underarms! Sounds scary to me.

The rechargeable model I was looking at, Epilady EP81033, is available from the manufacturer, Target, Amazon, etc.

Z.

• Root Admin

Hi Z,

No, I don't have to shave after epilating. I use it on my underarms also. After the first few times it doesn't hurt nearly as much. Don't want to scare you away from using one. Good luck.

• 6 months later...
Guest kathy sue

i used the epilady with the big spring looking thing and it worked really well on my legs they stayed mostly hair free for the couple years i was in a shelter for men over 50 where it was not possible to continue using it. now that i have my own place again i had to find a new one. i did some research online first and discovered that the spring type seems to no longer available, i thought i would go get a relatively inexpensive rotary style to see how they work and if it was ok i could get a better one. when i got to the store all they had where between $50 and $75 so i got the best one they had it is a panasonic model es2045 rechargeable and it is fully immersible, can be used wet or dry. i use it in the shower , hot as i can stand so the pores open up, with a good quality liquid body wash, needs some kind of soap so it won't clog. well the old spring type did not work so well on chest and tummy and other fleshy areas but this rotary one in the shower works really well on those area and my underarms as well. after using it for awhile i thought why not try it on my face so i started doing so on low speed(forgot to mention it has high and low speed) taking it real easy cause it does sting a bit the first couple times until the hair that grows back gets finer and now i can use it almost like using an electric razor with very little sting. biggest problem i'm having is that i had not shaved down to smooth skin in several years, i did trim it to shortest length possible alot, i find i get a few zits but as i recall hrt will cause that also so i use a daily facial cleaner taht helps them go away quickly. the worst part is you have to let the hair grow back in a little bit but if you use it every day after a week to ten days or so it's not very noticeable unless you look real close but soon it should all be gone for longer and longer time. it also works on the bikini line. i know your wondering about ingrown hairs well there have been a few but noy many and with the hair getting finer not as bad as would be with shaving. using a good body lotion afterwards helps and is just a good idea in general.

• 2 months later...

No offensive to any because I'm seriously concidering getting one - but to me this machine makes me cringe. I went to buy one the other day at target and the memory of when I plucked every hair on my face with tweezers made me decide not to get it. The actual pain of even having your legs waxed freaks me out. On a scale of 1 to 10 compared to waxing - how bad is it?

• Root Admin

Wow! You actually plucked every hair on your face out with tweezers? No wonder you're gun shy about using an epilator. Facial hair is typically coarser and deeper rooted than the rest of you bodily hair and therefore would be more painful. I won't try to kid you and say that epilation doesn't hurt but on the upside, it gets much less painful after repeated use. I really can't compare between the two because I've never tried waxing.

Lol yea it wasn't exactly the smartest idea but at the time I really wanted the hair gone on my beard area. I think I was about 15.

Guest jessi72

Hi all,

I have used an epillady for a while now. I am very happy with the outcome. I have also waxed before, so to compare on the pain scale, I would give the epilalady a 7 and waxing an 8 or 9. Like everyone else has said, the more you use it the less painful it becomes. Now I would give it about a 3 maybe 4, but that is just one girls opinion. I did notice that before HRT, waxing didn't hurt all that much, but now after two years on it, I would have to say that it has gotten very painful (waxing). I think it's because the skin has gotten so much softer and sensitive. Oh well, I'll stick with my epillady. I love it.

Jessi

Guest Sheila

i used the older spring models and was not able to get the desired results. then i tried waxing and besides the pain was estatic with the results. i was so desprate to get rid of my facial hair for longer than a day the pain was worth it. also wax my bikini area. shaving my legs became second nature and was in and out of the shower in no time. you say there newer models out there better than the spring models? i'm going to have to more research as i'm looking for the best way to remove unwanted hair. i think i'll stick with the waxing for my face since it's fast and i have gottin better at it. :)