• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What are some LGBT friendly colleges (in the U.S.)? If you know about sports and/or colleges.

Guest ckoa97

Guest ckoa97

I'm currently entering the 10th grade and I'm on the boys basketball team (I'm FTM) and I want to start my list of schools I'm interested in going to now. I'm working on getting better at basketball so coaches and scouts and begin to recruit me. I'm only looking at Division 1 one schools that are small and not so popular. Right now, the main place I'm looking at is Oregon State University (small school, D1 in PAC-12 conference, not popular, and I believe they're LGBT friendly). What are LGBT friendly colleges (or trans friendly colleges)? I wa t to start making my list now.

• Admin

Here are a couple of lists, hon. I don't know how accurate they are, or whether the emphasis is on GLB friendly or T friendly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/most-lgbt-friendly-colleges_n_932893.html#slide=more188790

http://www.collegeequalityindex.org/list-colleges-trans-friendly

http://www.campusclimateindex.org/

Carolyn Marie

Guest Chrysee

I attended Goddard College in Vermont. It now has a campus in Washington State and also does the whole teaching from home by computer thang. Back in the day, Goddard had special interest dorms, i.e. Womens' Studies Dorm, the Gay Dorm, the Third World Dorm, etc.

I met some fascinating people there: my drama teacher was David Mamet, and one of the graduates was Oscar nominated actor William H. Macy, who I knew as Bill. I served Anais Nin a cup of tea, shared a bottle of apple wine with poet Allen Ginsburg, & got to jam with Toni Iomi when Black Sabbath played there. One of the dance instructors was Arlo Guthrie's sister Nora.

The list goes on.

Now just down the street from my house is Reed College, which is extremely alternative, as is the city of Portland in general.

Also, you might check out Antioch, just for extra measure.

Hope this helps.

With Love,

Chrysalis Sartorious

Guest ckoa97
Here are a couple of lists, hon. I don't know how accurate they are, or whether the emphasis is on GLB friendly or T friendly. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/most-lgbt-friendly-colleges_n_932893.html#slide=more188790 http://www.collegeequalityindex.org/list-colleges-trans-friendly http://www.campusclimateindex.org/ Carolyn Marie

i really LOVE Oregon State University in the second link you gave me. i've actually been looking at them for some time now and i really like what i've read and seen. they also are in division 1 sports which is great. thanks again.

Guest ckoa97
I attended Goddard College in Vermont. It now has a campus in Washington State and also does the whole teaching from home by computer thang. Back in the day, Goddard had special interest dorms, i.e. Womens' Studies Dorm, the Gay Dorm, the Third World Dorm, etc. I met some fascinating people there: my drama teacher was David Mamet, and one of the graduates was Oscar nominated actor William H. Macy, who I knew as Bill. I served Anais Nin a cup of tea, shared a bottle of apple wine with poet Allen Ginsburg, & got to jam with Toni Iomi when Black Sabbath played there. One of the dance instructors was Arlo Guthrie's sister Nora. The list goes on. Now just down the street from my house is Reed College, which is extremely alternative, as is the city of Portland in general. Also, you might check out Antioch, just for extra measure. Hope this helps. With Love, Chrysalis Sartorious

yes it helped me. i looked at them and they are also places to consider. thanks.

Guest Chrysee
I attended Goddard College in Vermont. It now has a campus in Washington State and also does the whole teaching from home by computer thang. Back in the day, Goddard had special interest dorms, i.e. Womens' Studies Dorm, the Gay Dorm, the Third World Dorm, etc. I met some fascinating people there: my drama teacher was David Mamet, and one of the graduates was Oscar nominated actor William H. Macy, who I knew as Bill. I served Anais Nin a cup of tea, shared a bottle of apple wine with poet Allen Ginsburg, & got to jam with Toni Iomi when Black Sabbath played there. One of the dance instructors was Arlo Guthrie's sister Nora. The list goes on. Now just down the street from my house is Reed College, which is extremely alternative, as is the city of Portland in general. Also, you might check out Antioch, just for extra measure. Hope this helps. With Love, Chrysalis Sartorious

yes it helped me. i looked at them and they are also places to consider. thanks.

I had to laugh. . .I was telling my partner about your post as well as the suggestions that I offered. We live in Portland (Oregon) and my partner is the lead for Landscape Services at Portland State University. It seems that the fact that I failed to mention either O.S.U. or P.S.U. really offended her.

In defense of Portland State, it was just shy of a year after my Coming Out that I attended a Transgender Remembrance Day event there and fpr the first time used a gender neutral restroom on campus.

As well, P.S.U. has The Queer Resource Center which helps make students aware of local resources available to LGBTQ students.

And lastly (whew!) Anu (my partner) frequently sees several transgender employees of the school going about there business.

Not too shabby, eh?

With Love,

Chrysalis Sartorious

• 1 month later...

Cool, the university I attend is currently on one of the lists Carolyn provided :) (Alfred University) We are pretty small (a little over 2000 students) and we generally have a pretty cool crowd when it comes to the LGBTQQIA community. My freshman year, I got put in a newly renovated dorm that had trans-friendly bathrooms and showers. I have almost no knowledge about the athletics departments, though, sorry :/

Guest Jaded1

You did say Division 1 schools so if that is IT, then don't bother reading beyond, but if you are interested in a school that IS very Trans accepting/progressive and isn't an arm and a leg, give this one a shot: (yes, I am biased. lol)

www.csun.edu

Reasons I would say we are Trans friendly:

- We just launched our Pride Center which is a permanent facility for LGBTQ students and staff. The center was brought about and funded based on the majority vote of the student populace. We have 10 staff members including 5 peer mentors that can help you (or any student for that matter) with any issue that they have, academic or otherwise. I am one of them. We all went through significant training for our positions and with ongoing training throughout the semester.

www.pride.csun.edu

(I am personally working on, and will have on the above page a "Trans at CSUN" go-to guide for students planning to come to or already at CSUN with all pertinent information.

- We have 5 campus clubs and organizations with over 400 members that are LGBTQ and ally identified ranging from social groups to activist networks and a chapter of Gamma Rho Lamda which is a National sorority and the only sorority in the country that is all inclusive not regardless of, but inclusive of all gender and sexual identities.

- We are doing our second annual Trans Awareness Week this November which is a weeklong educational, celebratory and awareness creating series of events, of which our very own Carolyn Marie will be a guest speaker.

- We are working on (with the support of campus administration) streamlining and overhauling the admin/IT systems to provide provisions specifically for Trans identified students regardless of legal status of their paperwork so that they can live and learn with their gender identity and name intact.

- With the support of Matadors for Equality, a student organization, a number of Associated Students senators, our campus health center and our University Student Union, we are putting forward a proposal to add Trans specific healthcare provisions to our student health insurance options which would cover therapy, HRT and related lab work, and SRS/GRS coverage.

- Starting Jan 2013 we will have a Trans specific support group and individual counseling led within our University Counseling Services by a board certified and State licensed therapist (whom may provide one of the letters necessary for GRS/SRS) at no additional cost beyond your tuition. We will also have an endocrinologist within staff of our University Health Center with specific training and experience in Trans health care and transition related HRT planning/monitoring.

- We have a great partnership with our athletics department with whom we just finished a series of specific ally trainings to increase their education and inclusion of LGBTQ students in campus athletics.

and that is just off the top of my head.

Like I said, if PAC 12/D1 is a must have deal breaker, then the above might not do you any good, but still food for thought.

• 5 months later...
Guest ckoa97

You did say Division 1 schools so if that is IT, then don't bother reading beyond, but if you are interested in a school that IS very Trans accepting/progressive and isn't an arm and a leg, give this one a shot: (yes, I am biased. lol)

www.csun.edu

Reasons I would say we are Trans friendly:

- We just launched our Pride Center which is a permanent facility for LGBTQ students and staff. The center was brought about and funded based on the majority vote of the student populace. We have 10 staff members including 5 peer mentors that can help you (or any student for that matter) with any issue that they have, academic or otherwise. I am one of them. We all went through significant training for our positions and with ongoing training throughout the semester.

www.pride.csun.edu

(I am personally working on, and will have on the above page a "Trans at CSUN" go-to guide for students planning to come to or already at CSUN with all pertinent information.

- We have 5 campus clubs and organizations with over 400 members that are LGBTQ and ally identified ranging from social groups to activist networks and a chapter of Gamma Rho Lamda which is a National sorority and the only sorority in the country that is all inclusive not regardless of, but inclusive of all gender and sexual identities.

- We are doing our second annual Trans Awareness Week this November which is a weeklong educational, celebratory and awareness creating series of events, of which our very own Carolyn Marie will be a guest speaker.

- We are working on (with the support of campus administration) streamlining and overhauling the admin/IT systems to provide provisions specifically for Trans identified students regardless of legal status of their paperwork so that they can live and learn with their gender identity and name intact.

- With the support of Matadors for Equality, a student organization, a number of Associated Students senators, our campus health center and our University Student Union, we are putting forward a proposal to add Trans specific healthcare provisions to our student health insurance options which would cover therapy, HRT and related lab work, and SRS/GRS coverage.

- Starting Jan 2013 we will have a Trans specific support group and individual counseling led within our University Counseling Services by a board certified and State licensed therapist (whom may provide one of the letters necessary for GRS/SRS) at no additional cost beyond your tuition. We will also have an endocrinologist within staff of our University Health Center with specific training and experience in Trans health care and transition related HRT planning/monitoring.

- We have a great partnership with our athletics department with whom we just finished a series of specific ally trainings to increase their education and inclusion of LGBTQ students in campus athletics.

and that is just off the top of my head.

Like I said, if PAC 12/D1 is a must have deal breaker, then the above might not do you any good, but still food for thought.

i went to the wikipedia page and it says that CSUN is a D1 school? i'll definitely look into some more.

Guest Kendra K

No recommendation as far as DI goes. I could be wrong, but seems to me that DI schools are going to be more likely LGBT friendly than DII or DIII schools. Seems that bigger is more LGBT friendly, it works that way with cities.