• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

i binge eat

Guest tsubaki

Guest tsubaki

hello everyone,

im writing this because i am posed with a bit of an issue, as the title suggests i binge eat, this is to cope with depression in all honesty, the depression stems from my gender dysphoria, and thus my self-perception, it isn't healthy and im worried about myself, ive tried to stop however it simply makes me feel worse and i turn to self-harm, it also upsets my family who are also concerned about me,

the issues is im unsure of what i can do to pull out of this unhealthy habit, i try to look for positives however it isn't easy to find them as i am now,

in short, im open to advice on how i can deal with this issue, any advice is welcomed,

thankyou - lin

Guest angels wings

There is help out there . Talk with your parents and see if they can help you see a therapist so you can talk about everything you are going through. Take small steps . Having someone who understands and helps guide you makes a big difference . You deserve to be happy . Dysphoria can bring many issues and that's why it's important to reach out and get professional help. You are fortunate you understand all this at such a young age . Some travel for years in confusion . You have a great start with accepting who you are now let others help you . Wishing you all the best Lin ((((((hugs)))))

Angel :)

Guest tsubaki

thankyou, though talking to my parents about my emotional state poses issues, they do not fully accept my gender dysphoria, they do not abuse, restrain or neglect it, but they do not fully support it either, they become very emotional when it comes to it, and due to it being the source of my depression i cannot actively speak to them about it, im currently on the path to getting treatment and therapy for my gender dysphoria and this includes family counciling so i hope things can work out better then, but right now im scared and confused and dont want to speak out because im terrified of hurting them more than i already have done,

Guest angels wings

I'm glad your on the road to getting treatment :) please try not to be scared what you have is not your fault . Like others born with different conditions they learn to live with it the best way they can . They seek medical treatment even some have to take medications prescribed by their drs to help their condition . This condition is no different . Your parents will go through a lot of different emotions as they slowly learn more and adapt to the real you . Their pain is a normal part of the process . Stay calm and try and understand show them you are mature . It will slowly all fall into place . The journey is not easy but with support you can make it as smooth as possible . Your parents need time and with therapy they will slowly begin to understand . Stay strong try and keep positive . (((((Hugs))))

Also if you go into the parents forums you will read how other parents feel . This may give you a better understanding of the different emotions your parents will be going through .

Angel :)

Hello tsubaki, and welcome to the forums!

I have struggled with my weight since I was about 6 or 7 years old, constantly going from one extreme to another; obese to anorexic, but always unhealthy throughout. My weight gain in the past had been gradual, but ever since my gender dysphoria reared its head a while ago, binging has been a bit of a problem as well. It is indeed an unhealthy coping method, and one that needs to be remedied.

The fact that your parents are so emotional is a great sign, as they obviously care very much for you. Talking to them may be hard for both of you, but do not be afraid to do so. At the same time, don't force things and have patience in your parents along with the slow process of familial acceptance. Give it some time through therapy and understanding on your end, and they will surely reciprocate.

So keep moving forward with your plans of getting professional help, as it will absolutely help with your gender dysphoria, and in turn assisting with your eating disorder and overall mental state. Things may be difficult right now, but stay strong and keep your eyes on the end result of happiness!

Hope to see more of you around here, and good luck!

Amelia

• 1 year later...
Guest Ky_Ki

Hi tsubaki. I can't really give you much advice as to how to proceed, just want you to know that there's someone out there who is dealing with the exact same things. I too have struggled with my weight endlessly as far back as I can remember, and just when I thought I was finally getting ahead and conquering it I fell into binge eating and have been there for years now. I know it can feel terrible and dysphoria makes it all the worse but people do seem to come through it eventually. Sometimes finding an outlet, for me it seems to be writing (relatively recently discovered) can sometimes lessen the urges or make me forget them, particularly on my already better days. Maybe there's something out there that'll do that for you too. Best of luck. Your not alone in this struggle.

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Tsubaki,

I realize that your original post was in 2012, I do not know if you have received any help for your ED.

I have a few links that may be helpful to you.

Eating Disorders in the LGBT Population (PDF)

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/sites/default/files/ResourceHandouts/LGBTQ.pdf

Eating Disorders-NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Eating-disorders/Pages/Introduction.aspx

National Centre for Eating Disorders

http://eating-disorders.org.uk/

I hope these are of some help if you have not received Professional help yet.

Hugs,

Carla