• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So How'd You Choose Your Name (ftm Version)?

Guest Linus Thomas

Guest Jasper Marlon

I basically chose my name out of a list on one of those baby name websites. My only criterion was that I wanted to have the same initials as my birth name, so other than that I just picked the one that I liked best and that I think suits me. I also wanted to have a somewhat uncommon name, but that wasn't really the deciding factor at all. I don't have a middle name picked out yet.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• ChristianRay

• xanyx

• JJ

Guest UglyDuckling

I have yet to choose a proper name. When I began realizing who I was I went by 'Corbin', 'Clayton', 'Jack', and currently, to keep more to my female name, Olive and Oliver. Because I'm new and very young, I can hardly say I will remain using these titles. I am kinda curious about one thing, have you guys out there started out with different names and then changed them?

Guest the kid

Isaac is my name because before I was born, my parents were thinking of naming me Isaac if I was born a male at birth and I really like that name of course because it means laughing, or "He who laughs". Ha! :D But I was still wasn't sure of picking for my middle name. I didn't pick male version of my given middle name and it took me while to pick. I picked Perrin as my middle name because it means mostly "Wanderer" or it can mean "Rock". "The Laughing Wanderer" is something that feels right for my life to have. I feel I'm something like a wanderer in life and I also feel that enjoying what we have in life is really important too. It sort of like some one once said "Life is too important to be taken seriously" :) I know that was from Oscar Wilde.

By the way, when I was little, I used to watch this horror movie called "Children of the Corn" a lot. I would watch it over and over again while my parents would looked at me with a concerned (or a scared look I should say. Hahaha!) and my father told mom something like "Now there is something wrong with that child". Mom knew It wasn't sign of craziness or anything like that, she knew I was watching it because I was just impressed that it was about a group of kids killing adults, I was like "Cool. Kids killing adults!" It was shocking that the kid who brain-washed the children into killing adults was named Isaac and that's when they told me about the name thing. I still find it hilriaious.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Teague

I found the name i have now from the night that i came out to my best friend. she imminently started looking up names and the one i liked the most was teague. It was very fitting. but i am still on the hunt for a better name.

Guest Omagdi

I choose Johnathan since it was similar to my old name.

Technically, "Julian" was the male version of my name. But I was made fun of in school with that name so I decided not to use it.

Guest SirParkertheDuck

Naturally, my parents named me the most annoying name ever in my opinion, Katherine. Which they shortened to Kathy. (Fun fact, for the first 5 years of my life, I thought my name was Coffee, which was short for Caffeine.) In middle school I went through a plethora of names, but mostly Rin, as it was -actually- in my name. I'm still partial to the name; a few friends still call me that. However, as most people would be jerks and say it like Rhine or Ren despite my constant correcting them, I eventually gave up. In high school people started calling me Kat, much to my chagrin. I later went by Sloane, because it was Irish and sounded cool and I liked the meaning. After that, a friend suggested Riley...which would have been my dad's name if my grandpa hadn't changed it. Riley just didn't make the cut.

Then my friends started up a 'school family' (which is so messed up no one even knows anymore) and they named me Carlos. I still go by that sometimes, they still call me that. Sometime around the ACTs, my friend sent me the link to a story about a boy named Parker,(because who studies for ACTs?) and chapter 27 was titled "Parker the asexual emo" and we found that hilarious. Upon reading the story, I came to really like the name----and the character was rather similar to me, to be honest----so I asked if my friend would call me by that...and it just kinda stuck with me.

Most people who ask me my legal name tell me they could never call me that. My mum occasionally will call me Kat, because I will respond to that, whereas I haven't responded to 'Kathy' since I was 9.

As for middle names...I didn't even know how to spell mine until tenth grade. Suzanne. It took two years of German class to learn to spell my middle name.

My chosen middle name is Nathaniel because it flows so well. (I've always liked the name Nathaniel, but it feels like more of a middle name for me.)

If I were to be disowned by my family I would most likely take my Grandma and Step-grandpa's surname, ~Redacted~, because they would most likely adopt me if I were to find myself in such a predicament. They're very accepting. (Is it still being disowned if family adopts you?)

If I were born bio-male, my mom woulda named me Keith... which just doesn't fly for me.

Edited by Miss_Construe
Removed Last Name
Guest Rowan19

It just made sense to me one day. Jeffrey.

haha, believe you me Kayla is a hard name to change.

I once knew a guy called Kale, which seems to be the only male name close to Kayla.

And yeah I'm an FCD not a FTM, but I can't find any other FCD's in the CD forums and I'm more like u guys than MCDs and MTFs. MCDs r ok, but I can't find many of them either.

As for how I decided on Rowan...

The first thing that came to mind was Leo because of my star sign, but I didn't like it as a first name. So I put it in the middle.

And after a few weeks I was still kinda stuck. But then while I was watching SGA, one of my favourite characters Ronan (I can't spell) came on. And with just a slight tweak, that's how I decided.

As for last names, I have my Dad's so when I'm Rowan I use my Mum's. They never married.

I was suppose to be a boy and my mother had a very Dutch name for me (Jan fritz *lastname*), but then i wasn't born male soo, they gave me the name Arly. I had quite a difficult time choosing my name because i couldn't find anything that fit. I went from a Caleb, to Caelen , then Viktor to Antonio, Johnny ( turns out its my dads name so nope) then Boom the name Eric/Erik ( haven't picked spelling yet) hit me (not literally) with the butterflies and That's the name..I just have to decide on spelling :)

Guest sammyitscoldoutside

I'm... not sure, actually.

Through the years, I've been trying out a lot of male versions of my girl name, but they all sounded weird. I decided to write down sixteen names I liked, and then make this, you know, map to choose which name I wanted the most.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain what kind of map I mean. I've seen people using it when they bet in football games and such. Oh well.

Since I live in Sweden, it's seriously hard to find a name that sounds good, is at least somewhat international, and not unisex. It went down to Sam and Zachary. I wondered how the hell I had thought when I chose Zachary, and then it became Sam.

...which was a bit of a fail for me, because a couple of weeks later, it turned out that Sam is actually very unisex in English-speaking countries. But I like it.

I think I got the idea of the name when I watched "Glee" and "True Blood", because those shows have each one awesome character named Sam.

I wanted to change it when I learned that it was a unisex name, and chose between Kian and Christian.

Yet I shrugged, chose to remain Sam and moved on. Basically.

Guest Starlight53a

I haven't exactly chosen a name. At first I figured I could just keep my birthname; I'd been under the impression that Alice was a gender-neutral name. I've since been corrected.

The name I kinda like right now is Ethan, but I don't really know. The only reason I'm considering it is because I'm writing a series of stories, and one of the main characters is called Ethan. So now I'm emotionally attached to the name. I'd be too scared to ever try and make people call me it, though. :/

Also: I picked my user-name on this site for the same reason. xD Starlight is a character in my story, and I'm quite attached to that name, too.

My name goes along with the story of how I discovered I am trans*.

It all started (the realization at least) with a webcomic/manga/anime called Hetalia. I go to conventions and cosplay the character Latvia, whose human name is Raivis (a Latvian name, of course). After a while I realized I preferred being called by that name and "he", so I started introducing myself that way and asking my friends to call me by it instead of my birth name. I didn't really know what it meant at the time, just chalked it up to my usual weirdness and maybe some self-loathing. Lots of internal struggle ensued. Then one night I had a dream. I was a boy. And it felt so natural and right. And then, near the end of the dream I somehow remembered "Oh wait, I'm a girl!" and poof, I was a girl again, and it was just... wrong... And it was like a switch had been flipped. "I need to be a man!" Chunks of my life suddenly made a lot more sense.

I looked into other names for a while, since I don't find Raivis to be a very nice-sounding name, but nothing really felt right. Raivis just feels like me, even if I don't particularly like how it sounds. So, I've kept it.

Although I haven't actually transitioned, I already have a name planned out for myself. I've chosen Soran since it seems to go well with my middle and last name. I just feel that it suits me well.

It all started (the realization at least) with a webcomic/manga/anime called Hetalia.

Dude, I am SUCH a hardcore Hetalia fan and I find your story AWESOME. That's such a great name, and suits you well in regards to your story. Props!

As for me, I honestly can't decide. I have my two main nicknames that I go by: Aki and CJ. Aki came about from my friends and I being anime-crazed little middle-schoolers and picking Japanese names for ourselves. Mine was Akiko (autumn child...I was born in Autumn. SO CREATIVE), but I found out if you shorten it to Aki it becomes a male/androgynous name. CJ is my first and middle initials- my uncle actually called me this a lot when I was little and I loved it, much to my mother's dismay.

As far as a 'real' name goes, I'm just stumped. Anyone have favorite 'C' names? My top favorites so far are Cody, Chase, and Charlie.