• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What book are you currently reading?

Guest Claire-G

• Forum Moderator

I'm reading a couple books at the moment, unless audiobooks don't count. I'm just finishing up "11-22-63" by Stephen King. Fascinating story! I'm also finishing up "The Magicians Nephew" by C. S. Lewis, part of the "Chronicles of Narnia" series. Next up, "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe"?

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Charlize

• Carolyn Marie

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator

The all girl filling station's last reunion - Fannie Flagg

A woman finds out later in life she was adopted by her controlling mother. Her journey of self discovery and quest to find her real mother takes her back to the WWII era and the WASP's (women pilots).

A great story, has many feel good moments, and a nice read by the fire this winter.

C -

• 1 month later...

Currently reading A Man Called Ove. Just finished My Grandmother Wanted Me....

I have also recently read a romance series as well as The Well of Loneliness and Tipping the Velvet.

I have loved them all.

None right now!  LOL  I just finished 2 though.  First one was Never Never by James Patterson.  Exciting but predictable.  Finished it during a very very very long business flight from DC to San Diego.  The second one was The 12 Lives Of Samuel Hawley.  We picked it up at Costco.  Not something I would usually read but I wanted to try something different.  It was interesting but could have been a lot better with a little more character development and focus on the last third of the story.  Or the author set it up for book #2.

I'm going to start another one we picked up at Costco called Lilac Girls.  It's based during the Holocaust. 

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Swan13 said:

Currently reading A Man Called Ove.

I recently started to watch this movie and had to stop.  I just couldn't get into the story.  Too dark for me.  

A little different category than some of the recent posts, but I'm currently reading the book below and it's quite interesting, although somewhat academic in style. It's given me a new perspective on the impact of the relatively recent (last 20-30 years) popularization and usage of the category "transgender" and how that has changed feminism, gay and lesbian discourse, political activism and government and the identities of gender non-conforming people among other things.

Imagining Transgender: An Ethnography of a Category
David Valentine 

Other recent reads and highly recommended:
Whipping Girl: A Transexual woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Feminity - Julia Serrano
Transgender History - Susan Stryker
Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender - Riki Wilchins
Gender Outlaw: On women, men and the rest of us - Kate Bornstein

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Napoleon's last island - Thomas Keneally

A young girl befriends Napoleon on St Helena island, during his last exile...

Enjoyable historical fiction and a nice escape....

Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer - Riki Wilchins

Very readable introduction to postmodern theory particularly as it relates to Gender and Queer theory. Very helpful in providing context and explanation for the primary references in this realm. They can be rather abstract and hard to read if you're unfamiliar with the lingo.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished two great books on the trans masculine experience:
Manning Up: Transexual men on finding brotherhood; and
Letters for my brothers: Transitional wisdom in retrospect

I'm trans feminine, but know and advocate with and for trans masculine folks and wanted some additional perspectives on the experience of trans men. Both were really good and, as I expected, much of the trans experience is similar regardless of transitional "direction". There's also much in there for non-binary folks as many of the trans men in these books explored those identities as well during their journeys.

A number of the stories moved me deeply, bringing me to tears. Good reads if you're in the mood for literary fellowship!

On 9/19/2017 at 11:13 AM, RikkiWilson said:

I'm currently reading Betrayal by Beverly Lewis. It's an Amish fiction story. And is book 2 of the series Abram's Daughters. 

~ZD~

I am now reading The Revelation which is book 5 and the final book.

Rikki

I'm reading The Merry Spinster by Daniel Mallory Ortberg (listed as Mallory Ortberg on the book, but he came out shortly after it was published). It's a book of short stories that are horror-style reimaginings of fairy tales and bible stories. He does some interesting things with gender and sexuality that I really like. The stories are the perfect amount of creepy! 

This summer I plan to do a lot of reading while I'm laid up after surgery, so this thread is super helpful! 

• Forum Moderator

I am reading 'she's not the man I married'... I got it more for spousal support reading, but now I am just starting to read it for myself. @ChickenLittle   I finished Jenny Boylans 'She's not there', let me know if you feel like borrowing it!

Hugs,

Jae

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I'm reading "Calypso" by David Sedaris.  He is quite witty and i've found myself enjoying a almost painful belly laugh on occasion.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Bill Bryson - One Summer, America 1927 - Things sound like they have changed a lot over there lol.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

"How to Change Your Mind",  by Michael Pollen.   So far it is a fascinating look into the present research in and history of psychedelics.  I've always enjoyed his look at what we eat and this while different seems a natural extension.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 4 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

It's that time of year to stoke up the wood burning stove, get comfy next to the fire and have a nice book to read, a nice escape from TV or the Internet. I am currently reading

The Identicals - Erin Hilderbrand

Identical twin sisters who couldn't look more alike...or live more differently. One sister lives on Nantucket, and the other on Martha's vineyard. It's a real "Twister"

C -

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

Winter Bloom - Tara Heavey

A nice read by the fire place on these dark nights, about a garden left overgrown for 30 years or more that is restored by a group of people brought together by their love of gardening. Their stories unfold, and revealing of the human spirit.

C -

I just finished Cross Country, another "thriller" from novel factory James Patterson.  A fast and predictable read.  It was entertaining for sure.  LOL  I'm getting ready to start Innocent in Death by Nora Roberts writing under her pseudonym J.D. Robb which they make clear on the book jacket that it's Nora Roberts.  So is it really a pseudonym?? 

Perhaps I better read something more serious after that.  ?

Currently reading Becoming by Michelle Obama and I love it. I had the opportunity to see her at one of her book tour events and I was captivated by her openness and humor. The book is written in the same voice that she uses in person and is very personal in tone. Quite enjoyable!

Not sure what I'll be reading next ?

• Admin

Just started Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Trans*   ( *But Were Afraid to Ask) by Brynn Tannehill who is a Trans journalist and Science Analyst who keeps track of, and comments on "Junk Science" that is used against Trans people.  We know each other IRL through conferences we have attended in several places here in the U.S..  So far for me it is not much I did not know, but hey, I keep  up with stuff too, but I would recommend it for people in Human Resources jobs, and will be giving a copy of the book to a group of people who want to learn how to get Trans People involved in certain things. . 

• Forum Moderator

A couple of completely different ones from me:

Notes From A Big Country by Bill Bryson - I am reading a few these days as I am going through my father's collection.

The other one is a bit deeper - Quantum (Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality).  I had started by reading my son's old physics books, and, on loaning a (easy introduction)  book on Relativity, Quantum and particle physics to a friend he has returned the favour.

I get very nerdy at times lol

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I've been reading the Brunetti mysteries by Donna Leon.  I usually don't read mysteries but am enjoying them.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hey

I just started reading ‘Every day’ by David Levithan. Not my usual kind of books, but I’m enjoying it so far. It’s the story of a being living each day in a new body. I thought the idea was interesting and surely I can see a relationship to being genderqueer or simply trans, the way this character's inner self doesn't match the body they live in.

Also, I just wondered. Does anyone have a Goodreads account ? (maybe I should make a new topic for this).

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly

A real life story of a NY socialite who championed a group of concentration camp survivors known as "the Rabbits"

C -