• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What book are you currently reading?

Guest Claire-G

• Forum Moderator

I bought 3 of Brene Brown's books after seeing her TED talk on vulnerability. Almost done with Rising Strong. Also reading a Steely Dan biography now that I finished an excellent bio on Laura Nyro.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyndee

• Charlize

• Carolyn Marie

• Rianon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biographies are interesting to me as well.   But lately it’s novels.

I’m reading “Authority” by Jeff Vandermeer.  Book 2 of southern reach trilogy.

Just finished “The Return of the Pharoah” by Nicolas Meyer

Currently working on The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith.  I'm fond of the flick "Carol" and it was based on this book.  It is different to read it as opposed to the movie.

I've just finished a graphic novel my partners got me as a Christmas gift.  The title is "Girl Haven."  Written by Lilah Sturges, with artwork by Meaghan Carter, it tackles issues related to identity and the struggles faced when we try to find what, exactly, that identity is.  It also offers a beautiful, and much needed, message supporting the validity of any feelings or questions we carry with us.  It embraces the truth in the many different ways you can go as you search for who you really are and acknowledges there is nothing wrong about asking those questions or being who you truly are despite what you are told to be and in the face of people telling you to conform to the expectations placed on you by anyone other than yourself.

The story in it is centered mainly around MtF, but both the author and the characters within the story acknowledges there being many other paths on the journey to finding that identity.  The author, in case you aren't familiar with her, is a transwoman.  The story she is telling comes from her own expeiance with the issues the characters are dealing with.  In my openion that gives it a lot of heart.  For those of us going through all of that, it much more sincere and impactful.

For anyone interested, here's a link to it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Haven-Lilah-Sturges/dp/1620108658

4 hours ago, Lenneth said:

For anyone interested, here's a link to it on Amazon.

Could be interesting.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Stumbled across a book at the library of all places and bought a copy of a wonderfully affirming and encouraging book called "To My Trans Sisters" edited by Charlie Craggs, published in 2018 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers and you can get it on Amazon. 85 transwomen write encouraging letters to people like me who is going on my own journey and it is not just for transwomen, it fits the journeys of many across the spectrum.

Added your graphic novel to my wishlist, @Lenneth (I digged Lumberjanes, so it's already looking like a good choice :) ).
After seeing yet another recommendation about "She's Not There," I borrowed the e-book this weekend and cried my way through it... @Heather Shay, is "To My Trans Sisters" also sort of an emotional rollercoaster, or did you find it purely uplifting?

Bloom by Kevin Panetta! It's a really cute graphic novel about growing up and moving past hardships, but with a wonderful love story between two boys. And the author says there's gonna be a sequel in 2023! It's not even close and I'm still excited!

I'd also recommend reading Carry On and Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, which is basically Harry Potter but better and gay. And it breaks down the "chosen one" trope into something a lot more realistic when it comes to the consequences of that. And the writing style is just *chef's kiss* beautiful.

• Forum Moderator

@Zelaire Not rollercoastering. All share a lot of testimonials and advice that is heartwarming and affirming. Glad you liked "She's Not There" - Jennifer is an excellent writer.

43 minutes ago, Zelaire said:

Added your graphic novel to my wishlist, @Lenneth (I digged Lumberjanes, so it's already looking like a good choice :) ).
After seeing yet another recommendation about "She's Not There," I borrowed the e-book this weekend and cried my way through it... @Heather Shay, is "To My Trans Sisters" also sort of an emotional rollercoaster, or did you find it purely uplifting?

I'm glad you found it interesting.  My partners got it for me specifically because I had only just admitted to being trans and starting to look at myself in that light.

• 1 month later...

Almost done with Life Isn't Binary: On Being Both, Beyond, And In-Between, by Meg-John Barker and Alex Iantaffi.  

There are not all that many books that systematically explore what it means to be non-binary, so for those of us who identify as such, or for those who want to learn more, this is an excellent read.  Much needed in the literature.  This is a book that insightfully encourages "both/and" rather than the binary "either/or".

These authors previously wrote How to Understand Your Gender, also excellent.

Highly recommended.

Astrid

1 hour ago, Astrid said:

Almost done with Life Isn't Binary: On Being Both, Beyond, And In-Between, by Meg-John Barker and Alex Iantaffi.  

There are not all that many books that systematically explore what it means to be non-binary, so for those of us who identify as such, or for those who want to learn more, this is an excellent read.  Much needed in the literature.  This is a book that insightfully encourages "both/and" rather than the binary "either/or".

These authors previously wrote How to Understand Your Gender, also excellent.

Highly recommended.

Astrid

Thanks, @AstridSounds good.

29 minutes ago, Davie said:

Sounds good

And it's available at quite a few libraries in our fine state ...😀

Just finished "The Viscount Who Loved Me". by Julia Quinn.

Getting ready for the 2nd season of Bridgerton to drop.  I just like this kind of stuff.

• Admin

Decided to return to the classics for a while, so I just started "Oliver Twist."  I've seen all the movies, so I might as well read the book!

Carolyn Marie

Finally started the last novel in the Sci fi series The Expanse by James S.A. Corey.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and I am sad it is ending.

• Forum Moderator

The Scarred Woman   by Jussi Adler-Olsen.s  It is one of a series of interesting mysteries.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I am reading 'Boyd' by Robert Coram at the moment. I am not sure how correct it is but, with the politics in the upper echelons of the USAF it really does make me wonder 😕

I'll say no more, with the current situation, but it really does make me think.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38840.Boyd

Tracy

• 4 months later...

Hey friends!

I started to read Atlas Shrugged but I also had the first book of the Dark Tower series. Since I am a huge fan of him, I decided to read the Dark Tower first then Atlas Shrugged later. 

Also, to those who read the Fountain Head, did anyone like it? (No spoilers pls). 

• Admin

I've just started reading George R.R. Martin's Fire and Blood, the GoT prequel.  The first two chapters have been a summary of the earliest years of the Targaryen reign, with a huge list of all the kings, queens, lords, ladies and knights of Westeros.  It's so confusing I wish they had included a flow chart.  Hopefully, once they get into the meat of the story it will read better.

Carolyn Marie