• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Couple Of Quotes To Enlighten...

Guest Jenn348

Guest Jenn348

I wanted to share some quotes and scriptures to help clarify some points.

First, personal revelation vs. "obedience":

We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark that they would do anything they were told to do by those who preside over them (even) if they knew it was wrong; but such obedience as this is worse than folly to us; it is slavery in the extreme; and the man who would thus willingly degrade himself, should not claim a rank among intelligent beings, until he turns from his folly. A man of God would despise the idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the saints were told to do by their presidents, they should do it without any questions. When the Elders of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they have it in their hearts to do wrong themselves. -Joseph Smith (Millennial Star, Vol. 14, Num. 38, pp.593-595)

O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm. (2 Nephi 4:34)

Certain individuals within the Church may go astray and even fall away. This may happen even to a person in the Church who is in a position of some influence and authority. It has happened in the past. It will happen in the future. If our faith is in Jesus Christ and not in the arm of flesh, then we will know that we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ and not the church of men. (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, Pg. 90)

Do not, brethren, put your trust in man though he be a Bishop, an apostle or a president; if you do, they will fail you at some time or place; they will do wrong or seem to, and your support will be gone; but if we lean on God, He will NEVER fail us. When men and women depend upon GOD ALONE and trust in HIM ALONE, their faith will not be shaken if the highest in the Church should step aside. -President George Q. Cannon

We would be wise to seek our own personal revelation about our gender identity. Sure, many church leaders harp on that obedience today, but they are not supported by the early leaders. God expects us to depend on our own personal revelation, not the command of a leader. If a leader claims that his/her word overrides one's personal revelation, that person is exercising unrighteous dominion.

Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.

We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

Hence many are called, but few are chosen. (D&C 121:35-40

The other thing to understand is that the church isn't perfect, nor are the members. Joseph Smith was as patient as he could be with them, but he did condemn on a few occasions:

If the Church knew all the commandments, one-half they would condemn through prejudice and ignorance. (TPJS Pg. 111)

But there has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn dodger for a wedge, and a pumpkin for a beetle. Even the Saints are slow to understand. I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen. (DHC 6:183 185, Jan. 20, 1844.)

My bottom line here: rely on personal revelation and be patient with others.

Once you receive that personal revelation, stick with it. Don't let anybody bully you into rejecting something you learned through revelation. Don't let people tell you that "revelation doesn't work that way" or that they are a higher authority on some issue.

But, at the same time, be patient. Understand that even church leaders are fallible, and that prejudices, backward cultural beliefs and traditions will cause people to "fly to pieces like glass" when they encounter something they aren't comfortable with. When we come to leaders with such an issue, be prepared to educate and inform somebody who needs to know more to understand your situation to make an appropriate judgement. Also, be prepared to be rejected and to need to take it up to higher levels.

Eventually, the church will need to come around and accept transgenderism as a medical reality instead of viewing it through a lens of condemnation. That process is occurring now. As they change, some members will "fly to pieces like glass" because they put their faith in the backward philosophies of late 20th and early 21st century conservatist traditionalism instead of relying on Christ or His gospel directly.

This happened in 1978 when racist policies were ended. There were many people, some family friends, who left the church because they had built their testimonies on the racism instead of the gospel. They couldn't cope when that rug got pulled from under them.

My question for further discussion:
Do we want to be a part of that positive change, or do we want to sit and complain?