• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Don't overlook Goodwill,etc.

Guest CindyLouCovington

Guest Sarah21

Jody, your post made me smile,

I would love to do that but I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do it. I wish I had you with me to go back in there!

Anyway, as Charlie mentioned this type of behavior isn't limited to Charity shops, it's just the first time I experienced it.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and go off point, but thanks for the replies.

Guest LauraJen

Jody, your post made me smile,

I would love to do that but I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do it. I wish I had you with me to go back in there!

Anyway, as Charlie mentioned this type of behavior isn't limited to Charity shops, it's just the first time I experienced it.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and go off point, but thanks for the replies.

Hi Sarah,

No need to apologise, I for one thought your post was still very much on topic. I said in this thread myself how I am nervous about charity shops because you don't have the option of hiding behind online shopping. I know I just have to make the leap and go for it but I am the sort of person that gets easily embarrassed by things and they stay in my mind forever, so I would rather just shop online until the point where I pass enough. I blush easily as well so it's going to be obvious.

The woman who gave you that treatment is not only damaging the charity but also encouraging other staff to behave inappropriately. I know this sounds harsh but I wonder if she should even be there. She clearly needs a lesson or two in customer service and that is no way to treat a customer. She clearly enjoys subjecting people to ridicule more than helping the charity along by encouraging people to shop there.

I know I shouldn't apologise, but I'm sorry. Behaviour like this just makes me a wee bit angry. For it to happen in a charity shop is about as low as this can get.

Laura Jen

Guest Sarah21

Laura Jen, thanks for your reply,

Please don't let this type of experience put you off going out and shopping.

There are plenty of open minded people out there and most of the girls working in shops don't care, they just want to get on to the next customer and get home.

I agree with you though, that woman wouldn't be on my Christmas card list.

Guest wildwolf94

My town we have a MASSIVE Amvets store (it was made for all the returning WWII veterans who were homeless or just tight on cash to be able get some thing to wear for cheap, well it never got closed down, you don't find many new cloths (the employees usually buy them first) but allot of times you can find some amazing cloths that just arnt sold any more, or the company just stopped making them, I don't really buy the amvet shoes though, most of them have been to hell and back, smell like garbage or are so out of date my grama wouldn't have worn them as a child, all in all though thrift shops rock

I think if I didnt stop in to Goodwill and the thrift store once a week the girls there would put out a missing person report on me hehe. I go about twice a week. This week I picked up two cute skirts (yes I know winter is around the corner, I cant help myself hehe) A purple and teal plad skirt and a cute red mini and a red and black plad skaff all for under $5.

I love going there even if I dont find anything good.

Sarah, sorry to hear about your bad experiance at your thrift store.....I like Jodys responce, that is about what I would do as well.

Kattja Katt >^..^< Mew

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sarah21, if I ever find myself in the Emerald Isles, you just let me know which shop it was, I can be stubborn as a mule, and as Tom Petty sang, "I won't back down!"

• 1 month later...
Guest Freegrl

Sarah21,

I'm so sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience in any store. I always shop as a male for my female self and if I ever see something like this happen in front of me, I'm going to try to exchange information with my sister if she wants to pursue legal action. It's really sad, but there are a lot of ugly people in the world and it has nothing with the way we express our gender. A lot of these ugly people are just ugly to everyone if they ever feel like they can get away with it. They are actually pitiful people if you think about it.

I personally love thrift stores. In the larger ones, the variety rivals even department stores and you can't beat the price. In my area it's an open secret that a lot of "us" are good customers and don't make trouble, so I feel really comfortable. I frequently see other males in the women's clothing section too so know I'm not alone.

Love,

Freegrl

Guest AshleighP

I'm going to have to go with the majority here. I have found some incredibly pretty, almost new clothes at Goodwill stores. It is the one store my wife will go shopping with me to. I pick out things for her and myself. She says I have better taste than her, LOL. The selection obviously varies, so be a frequent shopper to find the best deals. Best value for your money and if you're discreet, you can use the fitting rooms. I never feel self conscious when shopping there. I have come out with bags of quality things for not much money. It's definitely worth checking out.

Happy Shopping!

Ashleigh

Guest meaenglsh

yum. we have two second hand stores in our little town. i also go to a bigger store in a city close by. i have found wonderful clothing and shoes! guess my feet are small enough to find them. i've never had any problems overtly at any of the stores. only had one weird look from a lady at one of them, but she was rather old and probably didn't understand i wasn't trying to trick her. she identified me as female :) and then she recognized i wasn't exactly that. poor thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kohl's is also good for inexpensive clothes today I found numerous 70-80% off clearance racks in the woman's section and I was there for a while but I found a nice inexpensive skirt. If you're a taller trans girl with well developed shoulders it's hard to find clothing though not gonna lie

We have goodwills around here that I don't check too often, but I can mirror the sentiments of Christine above me, Kohl's usually has a decent array of clothing in their 50-70+% off areas. Me and my GF swing by there every once in a while when we feel like nabbing something new. ($5-10 for something brand new, isn't quite goodwill pricing but it's not been worn outside the store, in case that bothers anyone.) Also they have changing rooms so if you're dressed as a guy, just toss a really fat guys shirt on the front of your items and then head on in to try it on. xD

Guest Kaitlyn85

If you're a taller trans girl with well developed shoulders it's hard to find clothing though not gonna lie

Slightly off topic, but I just thought I'd speak to that :P

Having been a tri-season athlete through most of high school, I have a bunch of problems in this area as well, so here are a couple of things I've found.

- Long sleeves help mask shoulders; this doesn't necessarily mean all long sleeve shirts, though. It can be really helpful to find a nice jean jacket to throw over t-shirts, which can help hide your shoulders and complement your outfit, or stuff like flannels which you can throw on open over a white top and look cute in.

- Short sleeves which are long enough (cover at least down to mid-bicep) can work, although not as well. Experiment, though... shoulders will look different with different kinds of cuts, so try on v necks and scoop necks to see what looks better on you.

- Avoid tube tops/spaghetti straps/tank tops in general. They don't work well with shoulders. That also means we kind of miss out on strapless dresses too, which is sad :(

- Avoid thin horizontal stripes on arms, especially the shoulder area (or wear a cardigan over the top or something) since horizontal stripes will tend to make things look wider.

- I haven't tried this one out too much, but I've heard that tops and dresses with uneven shoulders can really help mask wide shoulders. Idk if it works, but it might be worth checking out

I'd be interested in checking out Kohl's, but the closest one to me is like an hour and a half away. :( I might try to check it out if I make it down there/travel near a kohl's somewhere though.

Guest meaenglsh

i have noticed my trans girlfriend who has been on hrt for a year or so, that her shoulders are more defined. of course they are structured the same but the bulk of flesh has narrowed. i have naturally average shoulders but due to sanding my boat for a few years i got muscles! also some fat in the arms doesn't help. the fat can fade away and the muscles will probably fade also the more i am on hrt. actually i will miss my nice strong shoulders cause i can do a lot with them! but you are right about the long sleeves and tank tops. i wear them anyway cause i love tank tops.

• 7 months later...
Guest ericajordan

Sarah21, I am very sorry this happened to you. You were very brave to go there a second time. You are well off for not having said anything at all to people acting as such monsters. Next time we shall all go there, in a big group, and buy everything we want for you!! Love Erica

• 1 year later...
Guest Razilee

I wouldn't say that I'm as high as 95%, Gennee, since some of my collection was mail-ordered, but it's pretty high.

:wub: Love, Raz

Wow Sarah, that's really ugly! Shame on her.

I like thrift stores but as some have mentioned, I tend to frequent those that are in the more well off areas. Lots of nice stuff for little money. The other places I like to shop are hospital associated resale shops. Lots of high end clothing again for not much money.

Briana

• Forum Moderator

I just stopped at a yard sale on Saturday and got a great pair of jeans that fit beautifully for 1$. Every so often things work out perfectly.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Guys can also find good clothes for their wardrobe. I have purchased 3 pc suits fot 10-15.00. and they are name brand, Also nice dress shirts,slakes and jackets. So, don't pass the good stuff up.